Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Milestone (sort of...)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Milestone (sort of...)

With the addition of recent funds into my traditional IRA, I now have over 100k in that account.

We've had well over 100k in investable assets for some time now but it's been spread out between various IRA's, both roth and traditional, taxable accounts and 401k's. So seeing 100k in 1 account is pretty exciting for me. It might seem like a petty thing to celebrate but it's nice to see 6 figures in one account!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
With the addition of recent funds into my traditional IRA, I now have over 100k in that account.

We've had well over 100k in investable assets for some time now but it's been spread out between various IRA's, both roth and traditional, taxable accounts and 401k's. So seeing 100k in 1 account is pretty exciting for me. It might seem like a petty thing to celebrate but it's nice to see 6 figures in one account!!
So awesome!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats.. not petty at all. You're working hard toward your future.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Super fun! Definitely worth celebrating

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

It is NOT a petty thing at all. It's an important milestone.
To paraphrase - the first $100,000 is the hardest to make - the next one will come easier.

Congratulations - and here's to the next milestone!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold
It might seem like a petty thing to celebrate but it's nice to see 6 figures in one account!!
Not at all. If you don't celebrate reaching such milestones and give yourself a pat on the back, it will be difficult to stay motivated on the road to FIRE.

Well done!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Administrator

Well done.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Administrator

Nothing petty about reaching a milestone. Nice!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congrats to you! I remember when I first hit the $100k mark in my taxable account back in 1997. This was in the boom market of the late 1990s so the growth in the account from dividends and cap gains (both realized and unrealized) was often quite large from month to month. I was also paying down my mortgage that year, so even when I dropped below $100k shortly after the first time I went over it, the balance soon went back over $100k due to the market and from my working full-time at the time.

Later in 1997 I also went over $100k in my 401(k) so I had another chance to LOL!

Next stop for you is $200k. Why stop now?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #11

Congratulations! There's nothing petty about this. I remember when I had my first account go over 100k. I even remember consciously calling it "0.1 million dollars". Even though that is the same as 100k, I liked the sound of having the word "million" in the amount! Every time you pass a milestone, it should motivate you more. Again, congratulations. You'd be surprised at how many people never reach this milestone.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #12

Congratulations.
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely a milestone, congratulations. Now set your sights on the next milestones and knock them down one by one...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! The milestones will go by at an increasing rate - someone once told me that investing was a marathon - not a sprint.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote