Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
October 1967. Reported to Air Force OTS to avoid getting drafted into the Army Vietnam pipeline do my patriotic duty. Got lined up into the green monster processing center to be sheared, bagged, hung, and quartered. When I first saw the inmates fellow trainees who'd been there a while, they looked like POWs, blank eyes, walking like zombies, drained of life. within 6 weeks I looked the same, and swore I would get out at the earliest opportunity.

20 years later I retired from the Air Force and, thinking back, the time sure went fast.

FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by SonnyJim View Post
I have been working on living on just my retirement paycheck now and saving everything else, so the conversion should be more or less painless.Sonny
I'm curious by what you mean here. As an 06 I assume by the time you retire you'll have over 20+ years. An 06 with over 22 years is making over 9K per month. Your pension should be in the 60K range if not higher. Will it really be difficult for you to live well on 60+K per year? I also will assume you've been participating in TSP, and you've been able to save a good bit of your salary during your career.

Some of these guys who have responded were enlisted. One guy was an E7. Now if those guys are worried about being able to make ends meet, I can get that. Their pensions are under 30K a year, and their salaries are vastly lower, so it is far harder for them to save income, particularly if they have families.

Well, in sum, congrats on your promotion! As far as I can see, you have it made.

stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets
Congratulations Colonel,

You've earned your retirement, enjoy it. I retired in 2007 and although I could feasibly live off my retirement, I chose not to for a couple of reasons. Two kids in college. I chose full SBP. I figured that as part of my overall financial plan. I think it's 6% and it's inflation protected. Although I also know many folks that chose not to take it.
Medical benefits? If you ask me they're excellent. I chose to get back into civil service and work at one of the Army Hospitals. Huge!!!!! benefit. With prescriptions you have several options. Free at the military facilities if you're willing to wait. Small co-pay at one of the network pharmacies. Or mail order with small co-pay. Since retirement I have only had to pay my $12 co pay for my son at a civilian doctors office.

kendrickg is offline   Reply With Quote