Join Early Retirement Today

Monthly / Yearly Spending for Super Savers
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been able to lower our yearly spending down to about $26,000 a year for two adults, without sacrificing. I am just curious how low other Super Savers have gotten their yearly spending down?
rollergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Save $260 a year by disposing my garbage at mothers.
2. Always buy store brands.
3. Don't use air conditioning.
4. Keep heat set at 68 degrees during day; and 62 at night.
5. Cut my own grass; snowblow driveway.
6. Walk when playing golf
7. Never buy jewelry or dress shoes.
8. Dropped cable.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Head over to early retirement extreme if you want to see "super savers"... some of those people are under $15k/year for a family/couple.
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depending on what you count, I'm in that neighborhood. One adult plus one adult son and two adolescents in high school.

I do have a paid off house and don't include any sort of implied rent. I also live in a fairly LCOL area.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What would happen if you cut your spending AND increased your income? Super duper.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My normal expenses are around $15K-18K/yr. I have always lived cheap but I have never made more than $49K in a year in my life and most years were well under that so I have had to live on less than most others.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Head over to early retirement extreme if you want to see "super savers"... some of those people are under $15k/year for a family/couple.
Is that a different forum?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Yep. It's where people make the Mr Money Mustache crowd look like spendypants... grow your own food, live in a van type being cheap isn't uncommon over there.
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Yes - it's an eyeopener. Younger crowd aiming for very early retirement. Different perspective.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Yep. It's where people make the Mr Money Mustache crowd look like spendypants... grow your own food, live in a van type being cheap isn't uncommon over there.
Yow, I've had to live fairly sparsely at times but never quite that bad. Okay, if one has to then so be it, but voluntarily? No way. Working was never so bad for me that I'd live in a van to get out of it earlier.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yow, I've had to live fairly sparsely at times but never quite that bad. Okay, if one has to then so be it, but voluntarily? No way. Working was never so bad for me that I'd live in a van to get out of it earlier.
+1 even by the river.....
Old 03-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

and in the summer time when the fish are jumpin' and the livin' is easy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thank you for the recommendation. I find it fascinating how people can live on so little, to save even more money.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Not really comparable, but when we retired in 1989, our cost of living was pretty low. It had to be, 'cuz we had no ongoing income and had to wait 9 years to get SS @ age 62.

So, to take out the big expenses first after selling our previous home for a net of $150K... Bought a Trailer in Woodhaven Lakes Campground $7K, and a mfg. home in FL @ $8K

As best I can remember... annual expenses.
Rent in Il $600
Rent in FL. $2200
Health insurance $6000 for two
Food $2500
Car $2500 total all
Travel $600
Total other house costs... furniture, repair etc. $1000
Sin. Parties/Entertainment/Booze etc. $1600
Total $17000/yr

That was about the average from age 53 to age 62.

Ya know, we believed we were living in hog heaven, and even now, certainly among the most fun times of our life.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am simple minded so I don’t get it. There is so much to life. Skimping to get by doesn’t seem like much fun.

I grew up poor and I know it’s not all about “things”, but I saw how finances put strain on the entire family plus individual relationships. Why someone would chose this challenge makes me think there is more at play than just wanting to live “cheap.”
Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps it is worn as a badge of honor, but not for me.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Why someone would chose this challenge makes me think there is more at play than just wanting to live “cheap.”

I can’t speak for all super savers, but for me I find it very freeing. The Ideal is to get your Required Expenses as low as possible. By doing this it frees up huge amounts of money. Also, worst case you could sustain your life on minimum-wage.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollergrrl View Post
I can’t speak for all super savers, but for me I find it very freeing. The Ideal is to get your Required Expenses as low as possible. By doing this it frees up huge amounts of money. Also, worst case you could sustain your life on minimum-wage.
Everyone is different. I mentioned I saw first hand how stressful it can be. If this lifestyle is a choice, I don’t get it. I would rather put the same amount of energy into maximizing my income. I wonder how much fear of success plays into some of the decisions to pursue this lifestyle,
Old 03-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I wonder how much fear of success plays into some of the decisions to pursue this lifestyle,

That is an interesting take, personally I would say fear of failure rather than success. I grow up with parents that made okay money, but because of new cars, credit cards, overspending...their future was bankruptcy. This life style is more about building a foundation that is easy to Sustain.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollergrrl View Post
That is an interesting take, personally I would say fear of failure rather than success. I grow up with parents that made okay money, but because of new cars, credit cards, overspending...their future was bankruptcy. This life style is more about building a foundation that is easy to Sustain.
I wouldn’t describe your parents as “successful.” Their situation would motivate me to earn, not bunker in.