Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Mooching to FIRE

I think a few folks have brought up a few examples and the recent 16-yr old living off his folks as a door to FIRE. Maybe, I am going down the wrong road. Any good ideas on ways to mooch. Having a working spouse is another one used by some on this board. *
__________________

__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: Mooching to FIRE

IMHO small biz owners can to work the system in their favor
__________________

__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
IMHO small biz owners can to work the system in their favor
Very true. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm amazed at how much small business owners (and even people with side businesses) write off their taxes. Cars (Lexus, Mercedes, Porche) and gas, high-speed Internet access (with digital HD cable as part of the "package"), board meetings (comprised of the husband and wife)in vacation spots (Caribbean, Colorado, Napa Valley), home office (percentage of the mortgage), gym membership, gifts (business development), etc...

With all of those expenses run through a small business, it's no wonder working for yourself helps you to FIRE earlier.
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,071
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I think a few folks have brought up a few examples and the recent 16-yr old living off his folks as a door to FIRE. Maybe, I am going down the wrong road. Any good ideas on ways to mooch. Having a working spouse is another one used by some on this board.
How about 2-3 working spouses?

--DH
__________________
Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Call it "mooching" or "playing the system" or whatever you want, but I call it playing it smart.

If someone has a great family relationship with their parents and can manage to save all the money they would have paid for rent or a mortgage, why not? In fact, that's how many families survived in the past and that's how many even survive today. Sharing not only benefits the kids, but also benefits the parents and sometimes even the grandparents if they live in a multi-family home together.

If you're REALLY smart, you could have your own business while living with your parents.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Hey hey didn't say it was a bad move or even unethical but rather a realistic suggestion for MTB.
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Call it "mooching" or "playing the system" or whatever you want, but I call it playing it smart.

In fact, that's how many families survived in the past and that's how many even survive today.* Sharing not only benefits the kids, but also benefits the parents and sometimes even the grandparents if they live in a multi-family home together.
Hmmm...we call it "mooching" when it's the adult children still live with their parents, but we call it "elder care" (or "good for the grandkids"/"built-in babysitter") when parents move in with their adult children?
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Hmmm...we call it "mooching" when it's the adult children still live with their parents, but we call it "elder care" (or "good for the grandkids"/"built-in babysitter") when parents move in with their adult children?
There is a danger zone too. That happens when one or more of the family members forget the opportunity they have and start taking it for granted.*

If the kid turns into a lazy bum and turns his savings opportunity into domestic welfare, that's a problem.

Likewise, if the parents become more and more demanding on their adult sons/daughters and less and less satisfied, that's a problem too.

I've seen many cases like that too, so the situation can be as good or as bad as BOTH participants make it.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
There is a danger zone too.* That happens when one or more of the family members forget the opportunity they have and start taking it for granted.*

If the kid turns into a lazy bum and turns his savings opportunity into domestic welfare, that's a problem.

Likewise, if the parents become more and more demanding on their adult sons/daughters and less and less satisfied, that's a problem too.

I've seen many cases like that too, so the situation can be as good or as bad as BOTH participants make it.
So we ought to follow the "tough love" and "no handouts" rule? 8)
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,375
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Call it "mooching" or "playing the system" or whatever you want, but I call it playing it smart.

If someone has a great family relationship with their parents and can manage to save all the money they would have paid for rent or a mortgage, why not?* In fact, that's how many families survived in the past and that's how many even survive today.* Sharing not only benefits the kids, but also benefits the parents and sometimes even the grandparents if they live in a multi-family home together.

If you're REALLY smart, you could have your own business while living with your parents.
Young man, you have got a lot to learn!

Anybody care to chime in that is properly experienced in this area?
__________________
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Call it "mooching" or "playing the system" or whatever you want, but I call it playing it smart.

If someone has a great family relationship with their parents and can manage to save all the money they would have paid for rent or a mortgage, why not?* In fact, that's how many families survived in the past and that's how many even survive today.* Sharing not only benefits the kids, but also benefits the parents and sometimes even the grandparents if they live in a multi-family home together.

If you're REALLY smart, you could have your own business while living with your parents.
My grandparents had my great-grandfather living with them. They were all poor and had no choice. Years ago family had to share living accomodations due to financial need or health issues. Those are no longer primary motivators anymore.

I know several people that live with their parents. They are single and are ages 53, 55 and 60. It might work for some people but for others it won't. My kids know they can come back if the "need" to but they will have to work and pay their way. No free ride unless health issues require extraordinary need from us. We enjoy having an empty nest and not having kids around to affect our lifestyle.

If you want you kids living with you forever then go for it. 8)
I did my job and it is my time to enjoy not having them there now.

__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
My grandparents had my great-grandfather living with them.* They were all poor and had no choice.* Years ago family had to share living accomodations due to financial need or health issues.* Those are no longer primary motivators anymore.*

I know several people that live with their parents.* They are single and are ages 53, 55 and 60.* It might work for some people but for others it won't.* My kids know they can come back if the "need" to but they will have to work and pay their way.* No free ride unless health issues require extraordinary need from us.* We enjoy having an empty nest and not having kids around to affect our lifestyle.*

If you want you kids living with you forever then go for it.* *8)*
I did my job and it is my time to enjoy not having them there now.* *

My Dad told me often that he loved me and that I was welcome at any time.
But................he also said no way was I moving back in. I feel exactly the same about my kids.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40


If you're REALLY smart, you could have your own business while living with your parents.
I had a really smart friend, his parents threw him out when they found the hydroponic pot farm in the closet. *:P

My Dad tried to convince every one of his kids that staying at home for 5 years after college and building up a vast sum was the way to go. *4 have not taken up the offer, the last two look doubtful, too. *A phrase about if only we knew what we know now comes to mind.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
I had a really smart friend, his parents threw him out when they found the hydroponic pot farm in the closet.
I am wondering if this is what Retire@40 was thinking when he suggested combining the "living at home" and "home business" :P

__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Young man, you have got a lot to learn!

Anybody care to chime in that is properly experienced in this area?
I am not sure I am "properly experienced" , but it makes sense to me.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
I had a really smart friend, his parents threw him out when they found the hydroponic pot farm in the closet.
Bet that house had an interesting odor... *8)
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I am wondering if this is what Retire@40 was thinking when he suggested combining the "living at home" and "home business" :P
I thought I didn't have to qualify the business as a legal one, but next time I'll try to be more specific so there is no confusion.

Kinda reminds me of the joke about the guy who wished for a 12" penis and the genie handed him a jar containing a 12" penis.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Or "how 'bout a little head..."

POOF!!



BOT, mooching is bad form...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Mooching to FIRE

I'm quite sure that wasn't what you meant.

If you can handle it, 5 years out of college back at home could equal ER, even without starting a small business. Imagine if you could put 25k a year away for 5 years, then had 30 years for it to grow. You could live just like all the other Merkins, spending every dime that came in from then on, yet still retire at 55!
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mooching to FIRE
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
TargaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 588
Re: Mooching to FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Very true. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm amazed at how much small business owners (and even people with side businesses) write off their taxes. Cars (Lexus, Mercedes, Porche) and gas, high-speed Internet access (with digital HD cable as part of the "package"), board meetings (comprised of the husband and wife)in vacation spots (Caribbean, Colorado, Napa Valley), home office (percentage of the mortgage), gym membership, gifts (business development), etc...

With all of those expenses run through a small business, it's no wonder working for yourself helps you to FIRE earlier.
There is a built in downside to all that small business mooching you hear about. When an owner sells the business the buyer will negotiate based on some formula derived multiple of reported net income (cash flow). Excessive write-offs create an artificially low net, and any unreported income won't count at all since it can never be verified, and is illegal. The excessive moochers do pay a price in the end. When you also factor in the sizable risk, long hours and sleepness nights of getting a business going and stabilized (for those who don't inherit one) the mooching term applies even less.
__________________

__________________
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About to FIRE - can you help me stir my pot? coolie Hi, I am... 3 09-24-2006 10:15 AM
Career decisions / conflict before FIRE bearkeley Young Dreamers 9 07-28-2006 03:26 PM
First-time poster seeking critique of FIRE plans Silhan Hi, I am... 9 03-20-2006 02:58 AM
I'm going to FIRE soon at 35. free4now FIRE and Money 33 02-03-2006 09:53 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.