More pictures of Panama

Arif

Full time employment: Posting here.
My wife and I went to Casco Viejo yesterday and took some pictures of the buildings and skyline of the city. The architecture there is so beautiful. Most buildings there are about 100 years old and investors have moved in and rehabbed them for a pretty penny. Enjoy and post your comments.

BTW- Seems to be a very popular area for toursits as I went there twice within a week and they were everywhere.

The Panama city skyline from Casco Viejo.
IMG_2128.jpg

The President of Panama's house (the equivalent of the White House) along with a few guest with feathers.
IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

This is the National theatre where they have opera and other "cultural" shows.
IMG_2135.jpg

Here's the inside.
img_363280_0_e89ead0a826b71fc46a02f09f6d15176.jpg

img_363280_1_bdbc11c0857f84fccf3aef71705edbb3.jpg

A beautiful building that was rehabbed and turned into condos and a cafe
IMG_2136.jpg

Another building that I liked.
IMG_2144.jpg

Very nice. Thanks to you I now have yet another place on my "must visit" list. ;)

Are there many rental apartment opportunities in the condo buildings that have been discussed, if, say, and ER person wanted to spend 6 mos of the year there but not buy?

There are a lot of rentals in PC for every price range you can imagine. Most folks prefer the higher floors so you don't hear the noise of the traffic and music.
We found our rental by going to this site: http://www.compreoalquile.com/web/inicio
Although it's in spanish you can muddle through it pretty easily.

Arif,

Thanks again for keeping us all updated on what's happening in Panama and sharing photos.

From the looks of it, I could get used to living there in about 10 minutes. :D Unfortunately, I still have to punch a clock for a few more years. Already studying Spanish, though! :)

Buena suerte.

Sisyphus,

From the looks of it, I could get used to living there in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, I still have to punch a clock for a few more years. Already studying Spanish, though!

Yeah that's about how long it took me to get used to the place. :D
I'll be back in Georgia on business next week and can't wait to get back to Panama already.

A couple of weeks ago we went to an island off the coast of PC called Taboga. Its about an hour away by boat and the trip costs $10 per person round trip and $5 for kids. We had a great time laying on the beach and eating. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment:

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

Those beach pictures really hurt for those of us still stuck in "the office". ;)

I checked out the website you posted Arif. Looks like plenty of 2 bedroom apartments renting in the $400-$600/month range. No idea how nice or where they are located, but the few that I clicked on were in mid-rise or high-rise towers. May have to put that on my "list of places to live for a while". Mi español casi se fue porque nunca hablo el lenguaje ahora.

Are you sending your kid(s) to english language schools? What is the cost per month, if so?

Those beach pictures really hurt for those of us still stuck in "the office".
Trust me I know what you mean. Can't say I miss it though. :-X

I checked out the website you posted Arif. Looks like plenty of 2 bedroom apartments renting in the $400-$600/month range. No idea how nice or where they are located, but the few that I clicked on were in mid-rise or high-rise towers. May have to put that on my "list of places to live for a while". Mi español casi se fue porque nunca hablo el lenguaje ahora.
Yeah you can get decent places for that price range (2 bedrm) all day long here. Nothing real fancy but you won't have to worry about your stuff walking out the door.
Yeah it's not a bad place to live and it took me all of a week to honestly feel comfortable with our move.

Are you sending your kid(s) to english language schools? What is the cost per month, if so?
Our son is going to a bilingual school (pre-k) right now which runs $145 per month. In the fall he is scheduled to attend a US based school that was set up by the teachers who stayed back after the US military pulled out of the bases here. It runs about 300-400 per month. Keep in mind this is the second most expensive school here in Panama so you can find other schools that are good for a third of the price. It is something that we are considering, given the cost but we have until August to decide.

Thanks, Arif. I'll probably end up ER-ing with a few school aged children and I wouldn't mind living abroad (somewhere like panama) for a while.

Back
Top Bottom