Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CONGRATS!!

I thought it was interesting. A couple months ago my BIL and SIL were looking at buying the trailer they rent from my FIL. My BIL was saying he wanted to get it paid off as soon as possible, just because he didn't want to have the hassle of making monthly payments. The MIL stepped in and told him it was very stupid to pay it off, because the interest will lower his tax bill. I pointed out that yes it would work to lower the tax bill, but he would have to spend $100 to save $15, so it wasn't very economical and boiled down to who he'd rather pay. The MIL has very strong opinions and a rather heated discussion ensue. No tempers flared just a really good debate. I left the debate thinking it was over. We have lunch at the in laws every Sunday. While eating lunch recently the FIL pointed out he did his taxes with and without the mortgage and found the mortgage was saving him $400 per year in taxes. So of course my next question was, "How much are you spending to save that?" The answer was, "Over $700 per month." (but I believe the amount was his whole mortgage payment). Since he only bought his house a couple years ago, most of the payment is probably interest, since he is a recent convert to having the thing paid off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
CONGRATS!!

I thought it was interesting. A couple months ago my BIL and SIL were looking at buying the trailer they rent from my FIL. My BIL was saying he wanted to get it paid off as soon as possible, just because he didn't want to have the hassle of making monthly payments. The MIL stepped in and told him it was very stupid to pay it off, because the interest will lower his tax bill. I pointed out that yes it would work to lower the tax bill, but he would have to spend $100 to save $15, so it wasn't very economical and boiled down to who he'd rather pay. The MIL has very strong opinions and a rather heated discussion ensue. No tempers flared just a really good debate. I left the debate thinking it was over. We have lunch at the in laws every Sunday. While eating lunch recently the FIL pointed out he did his taxes with and without the mortgage and found the mortgage was saving him $400 per year in taxes. So of course my next question was, "How much are you spending to save that?" The answer was, "Over $700 per month." (but I believe the amount was his whole mortgage payment). Since he only bought his house a couple years ago, most of the payment is probably interest, since he is a recent convert to having the thing paid off.
No use arguing with a MIL that knows it all. Hopefully you got through to the FIL.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
CONGRATS!!

What's wrong with spending $7,000+ if you can "get back" $400.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

It really does make good financial sense to get rid of the house payment. But, as I am sure most folks here realize, there is a strong culture out there the “get a tax write–off.” My wife and I have no debt. We’ve always been a bit conservative, in a Dave Ramsey sort of way. So, while I continue to work (because I want to), I don’t have to. It is really remarkable how comfortably one can live in this country on a good salary if one has no debt.

Rich
Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It really does make good financial sense to get rid of the house payment. But, as I am sure most folks here realize, there is a strong culture out there the “get a tax write–off.” My wife and I have no debt. We’ve always been a bit conservative, in a Dave Ramsey sort of way. So, while I continue to work (because I want to), I don’t have to. It is really remarkable how comfortably one can live in this country on a good salary if one has no debt.

Rich
Gotta agree on that......working on it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Gotta agree on that......working on it.........
That's why you're a finance dude. ...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Rich
So true... having no debt is very liberating!

I am, too, amazed how prevalent is the "get a tax write-off" or "I am using someone else's money" mentality.

Case and point: my neighbor told me yesterday he does not understand why one would chose to pay cash for a car (with funds from the savings account) when a bank is willing to lend you money with a 5 year re-payment plan. Hmmmm... call me crazy, but isn't there this little thing called "loan interest" (he was not talking about no interest loans).
Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!!
After reading this or similar threads I feel my motivation to pay off our mortgage reinforced over again vs. investing all extra $$ in the market (BTW, we invest quite a bit in taxable accounts already). Especially makes me happy hearing that even young people do that. We're 33 and 39 and are debt averse as well.

Our plan is to pay our 15-year mortgage off in 10 or preferably 7.5-8 years. This year considering current CD rates we're leaning to chop our savings (that are sitting in CD's and saving account) and apply a good chunk of it towards the principal. If we do this, we'll have our house paid for at the end of 2010. First we'll wait for the baby that's due in August. If he/she is good and healthy (I pray for that in my mind ), we'll make the step.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your major accomplishment. Being debt free is an awesome feeling. If I were you, I would announce it to the world. It is an accomplishment many poeple don't even think about till somebody actually does it. My brother-in-law saw the light when he found out we payed off our house. He never thought of such a thing. He decided it was a noble goal, and did the same. By announcing your accomplishment, it may inspire others around you!

Tags
mortgage