Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
My motto is: Working is for suckers. I certainly won't work myself to death!
Go to YouTube.com and seach "How to do nothing at work and still get paid".

Remember Peter Gibbons being interviewed by the efficiency experts in Office Space (1999)?

Quote:
Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.... I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.... The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Related article: Brit workers excel at skiving | The Register
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Go to YouTube.com and seach "How to do nothing at work and still get paid".

Remember Peter Gibbons being interviewed by the efficiency experts in Office Space (1999)?

Related article: Brit workers excel at skiving | The Register
Does posting here qualify as "doing nothing at work?" Thanks for the mention of "Office Space." Are you the one who mentioned it recently on a movie thread? I've been hot on the trail of the DVD; its outrageous that my library which uses four floors in a building it owns and rents out the rest as office space, doesn't have a copy. I'll have to use my Amazon.com reward coupon to buy it; then maybe donate it to the library.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

It's sad to see someone in this day and age, with all the automation and conveniences available to us, still manage to work themselves to death. I could see if we were still spending sixteen hours a day plowing fields by hand, but in a modern society in a rich country something like this should never happen.
CheapCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #24

[quote=Milton;614384]Go to YouTube.com and seach "How to do nothing at work and still get paid".

Hah! I have most of that down now. I learned early in my army career that if you carry a clipboard/notebook and walk very fast most people will leave you alone. I do that even when heading over for a coffee!

I don't call in sick tho, I have 700+ hours of sick leave on the books. I'm lucky, I don't get sick.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I learned early in my army career that if you carry a clipboard/notebook and walk very fast most people will leave you alone.
Worked for me in the navy, too! Ensign Pulver (aka "the most hapless, lazy, disorganized, and in general most lecherous person I've ever known in my life") was my hero.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #26

Being that compulsive sounds more like mental illness to me. Am I wrong?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote