Join Early Retirement Today

Moving now is hard
Old 02-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Moving now is hard

So, we had our first child a little over a year ago right when things were beginning to crumbling beneath everyone's feet. We live in a small townhome/condo deal that was great first time purchase in a not so great area .. but a great party area.

It's not fun to help my wife get my daughter out of the car and have the "hey man my car is broken down" speech given to me with daughter in hand on my way inside the house. Its not fun to wake up in the morning to see all the cars in your parking row broken into including one of yours.

We decided a year ago to move, put the house on the market and finally got a reasonable offer, and to add to it all we found a great price on a house in a very nice area with good schools. So we are going for it.

I'm writing this because I can't sleep, I have constant headaches, and my stomach is always in knots. I'm extremely conservative with where my money goes and I know this is a good long term move, but damn the state of the economy is really messing me up with this.

I'm just putting this out there to get it off my chest.
mrinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinvest View Post
So, we had our first child a little over a year ago right when things were beginning to crumbling beneath everyone's feet. We live in a small townhome/condo deal that was great first time purchase in a not so great area .. but a great party area.

It's not fun to help my wife get my daughter out of the car and have the "hey man my car is broken down" speech given to me with daughter in hand on my way inside the house. Its not fun to wake up in the morning to see all the cars in your parking row broken into including one of yours.

We decided a year ago to move, put the house on the market and finally got a reasonable offer, and to add to it all we found a great price on a house in a very nice area with good schools. So we are going for it.

I'm writing this because I can't sleep, I have constant headaches, and my stomach is always in knots. I'm extremely conservative with where my money goes and I know this is a good long term move, but damn the state of the economy is really messing me up with this.

I'm just putting this out there to get it off my chest.
It's a great move. Screw living in a crap building, especially with a wife and child. You will feel better very soon when you can feel what a good idea this was.

Ha
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Seems you should be jumping for joy.

Quote:
If the economy was robust, there probably would not be good deals to be found on a nice house. You are lucky, this is a good time to move up the ladder - prices are cheap.

Many of us may be looking to downsize. Now that's a problem. A high end hous took a bigger dollar hit than a lower-end house. Bad time for someone looking to get cash out of their house.

Thought you might appreciate a different perspective. Celebrate! Seriously.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Life is too short--you're lucky to be able to leave that area. Congratulations.

If there's not one thing to worry about, there's another. At least your worries this time seem to be on the good side (the unknown vs. not being able to get out of there).
Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are making the right decision. Congratulations on selling your house. I bet you sleep better when all is closed and you are moved.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's a great move. Screw living in a crap building, especially with a wife and child. You will feel better very soon when you can feel what a good idea this was.
Spot on. Like Suzie Orman says "People first, then money, then things".

My stomach would be far more knotted about raising my kids amongst panhandlers and thieves than it would be to move to a more expensive home.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

May You Be Blessed Movie
Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Many of us may be looking to downsize. Now that's a problem. A high end hous took a bigger dollar hit than a lower-end house. Bad time for someone looking to get cash out of their house.
Exactly. This is the time to trade up, not down.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll tell you what would keep me from sleeping at night, having constant headaches and my stomach always in knots. It's living in the situation you are in. Be thankful you were able to sell your place and get the hell out of there. I would be so happy.
Good luck on your move.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

This is a great move ! Any change even positive ones cause stress so your reaction is normal . Once you move you will probably feel more relaxed .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams" - Henry David Thoreau

Agree with the folks who have already commented and understand just starting out is a very stressful time. You're on the right track, likely this is a great time to move up. Quality home in a desirable neighborhood is low on the list of things that should hurt you. Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on selling your condo!! And as others have said, you made the right decision.

I can't even begin to imagine how bad it must have felt to have that "my car is broken down" thing going on while you were helping your wife and newborn daughter out of the car.

Enjoy your new home!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm confident I have made the right decision and as you all have stated this is a move in the right direction for my family. I just have problems with investing/saving .. I always feel like I should be stock piling more and with this new house I won't be able to put away quite as much as I have been.

But the future I'm investing in is my family's and that's more important right now.

I'll revisit this thread in about 3 years, hopefully I'll be able to laugh and we will all be enjoying the Dow around 10000
mrinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You know what they say: moving is up there with wedding, death and divorce in terms of stress level. So it's quite normal to feel apprehensive. Seems to me you are doing the right thing. Go for it and good luck with the move!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote