Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
Sokushinbutsu

Not sure if that qualifies as "surviving" though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WE could cut back if we wanted or needed too but I hope that is never the case. Everyone needs wiggle room.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It's also an inherently more risky plan (which us older folks might also confuse as foolish.)

One of the things that I draw comfort from is the fact that I haven't cut spending to the absolute bone. If my retirement plan goes tits up and I have to live like an ascetic monk to survive I still have that option. If, however, your plan requires you to live like an ascetic monk from the start and things go south from there, how exactly do you survive then?
+1. Of course, MMM followers are open to the idea of working again if their plan fails. Granted, that might be tough unless you have specialized skills (that have been kept current) and can work as a 1099 contractor since traditional employers tend to frown upon long periods of unemployment.

Personally, I'd rather stick with working until I save enough that I can stop work altogether.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
+1. Of course, MMM followers are open to the idea of working again if their plan fails. Granted, that might be tough unless you have specialized skills (that have been kept current) and can work as a 1099 contractor since traditional employers tend to frown upon long periods of unemployment.
I personally think going back to work is the most unworkable option in my disaster recovery plan. I assume the reason I'll need to go back to work is because the economy is crap, and probably has been for a while. So the time I'll need to go back to work is precisely the time I'll least likely be able to go back to work.

And I don't think freelance gigs are any more likely. We know from experience that they're the first things to get the ax when times are tough. It's far easier for an employer to load up the people they're already paying with extra work than pay some guy who's not on salary. It's an easy expense to cut.

We also know that a book of freelance business takes years to build. Unless you're in the market, making contacts, building a reputation day after day you can pretty much forget about flipping a switch and having cash roll in.

I'm certainly open to going back to work if I need to. But I don't have any expectation that I'll actually be able to go back to work when I need to.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post

Personally, I'd rather stick with working until I save enough that I can stop work altogether.
For those MMM followers planning on low budgets, they won't need a huge salary to support their living expenses. How hard do you have to work to earn $15-30k/yr for example? Starbucks or an admin in an office can easily earn that. If we're talking a couple that spends $30k, they just need a minimum wage job.

There's always odd jobs for those with some skills. Even flipping stuff on craigslist/ebay could net $15-30k/yr. And you don't really need to generate your full budget each year - just earn enough to supplement your dwindling portfolio.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

For a person with a bit of an experimental mind, this is a wonderful time to live, and to participate at the edges of these gonzo plans. This is my second go-round. The summer of love 1967 had to end by totally destroying a lot of helpless children. And it did. In the early 70s everybody was leaving Berkeley or San Francisco or West LA or wherever and heading to a rural commune where they were going to grow carrots and be done with the man. Turns out that a lot of hard working skilled people are needed to grow anywhere near enough to keep from fading away. And you still have to have...welfare! to buy flour and sugar and medicine, and doctors to diagnose and cure your wife's clap and your baby's pneumonia.

Pretty soon anyone who had an education took advantage of what that education gave them- a way out of the boring rural slavery that they had gotten themselves into.

Who knows how today's Gonzo crew will make out? But I hope to be around, and solvent, to once again see it unfold. Natural social experiments are a gift to those who observe and feel no need to try to direct the path that these lives may take. They may be developing a whole new improved society, or not.

Ha
Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For a person with a bit of an experimental mind, this is a wonderful time to live, and to participate at the edges of these gonzo plans. This is my second go-round. The summer of love 1967 had to end by totally destroying a lot of helpless children. And it did. In the early 70s everybody was leaving Berkeley or San Francisco or West LA or wherever and heading to a rural commune where they were going to grow carrots and be done with the man. Turns out that a lot of hard working skilled people are needed to grow anywhere near enough to keep from fading away. And you still have to have...welfare! to buy flour and sugar and medicine, and doctors to diagnose and cure your wife's clap and your baby's pneumonia.

Pretty soon anyone who had an education took advantage of what that education gave them- a way out of the boring rural slavery that they had gotten themselves into.

Who knows how today's Gonzo crew will make out? But I hope to be around, and solvent, to once again see it unfold. Natural social experiments are a gift to those who observe and feel no need to try to direct the path that these lives may take. They may be developing a whole new improved society, or not.

Ha
+1 Well said!

A "back to garden" extremely low cost rural life looks much different at age 65 than it did at 25, when you realize you no longer have those same 25 year old joints and back. Twenty and broke is not in the same universe as sixty and broke.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
+1 Well said!

A "back to garden" extremely low cost rural life looks much different at age 65 than it did at 25, when you realize you no longer have those same 25 year old joints and back. Twenty and broke is not in the same universe as sixty and broke.
true but plenty of people in their 80s still gardening or if your my father still actually doing manual labor at a JOB every day because he's afraid if he quits he'll die (because that's what happened to everyone else he knew).

You'd hope if someone was going to retire early they would at least give a minimum of XYZ in their nest egg they don't plan to touch until 65+ so they would always have that to live on when they couldn't actually go back to work even if they needed to... at least that's my plan, if I start running short, to do something about it way before you run out.