Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Multiple Streams of Income
Old 05-25-2004, 07:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, I read Google's terms and conditions and they state that personal webpages are not accepted. So, I am pretty much out of the loop. It's only for businesses.
Don't disqualify yourself so fast. Look at Skylark's page...I don't think he's selling anything there; he just talks about early retirement. There's no commerce or selling, just information that others are apparently insterested in.

I don't see why a web site about basket weaving, rock collecting or cajun cooking couldn't generate as much traffic as Skylark's site. Just have some decent site navigation links and word the articles so they might be interesting to people who don't know you.

I haven't read Google's guidelines, but as long as someone can read your site and not have to know you to enjoy it then I would think you could get the ads.

As far as other ideas for money, some of the ideas here are artistic like writing and playing an instrument. Each of these things is very difficult to make a living with, but each can provide a stream of income and--assuming you enjoy the activity to begin with--be pleasurable. I'm a computer-oriented guy, and I'm considering web pages and some side business for other income streams.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for your response.

I am alos computer oriented person. I am in IT field. And as a matter of fact on of the things I do is webdesign for the place a work for.

I thought about starting a tech support businnes off line but the problem is I am unavailable to do that during the day, but only evenings and I do not want to spend the rest of my time after work working.

So I thought the Ad idea was great

Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

do you need to have your own URL in order to do that?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As far as other ideas for money, some of the ideas here are artistic like writing and playing an instrument. Each of these things is very difficult to make a living with, but each can provide a stream of income and--assuming you enjoy the activity to begin with--be pleasurable.
You are sure right that it is hard to make a living from music or art or fiction writing. My wife and one other person I know make their full living from music.

But I think if one takes it laterally a bit, these same skills can pay off more reliably. Last weekend I attended a Ta Ke Ti Na rhythm workshop. I am at best a middling drummer, but the stuff the workshop leader did would have been a snap for me. He was an ok musician, who segued into the much less demanding world of "New Age" spiritual development. All he had to do was play the rhythms, and listen respectfully when the participants talked. I imagine it might take some skillful promotion to fill the workshop.

I suppose it takes a certain personality to do this, and maybe many of us might prefer a part time job catching rattlesnakes on quail hunting preserves, but it is a way to use music skills that are not commercial otherwise.

Certain physical jobs are pretty good if your health is ok. Cutting grass or car detailing takes only moderate skill, and if you don't need to do it all day every day, isn't too exhausting.

I tried cutting wood a few years ago, and believe me that is hardcore. It got so I hated to wake up in the morning. I never new how much I valued sleep until I tried that.

Mikey
Old 05-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Adsense works well if you do a website reviewing products or services of some kind. You probably should have your own url. Find something you are interested in and become an expert in it by researching it and writing down your findings as you go.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Check the Journal today. Big story on Adsense and people who say they are making money using it.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

All he had to do was play the rhythms, and listen respectfully when the participants talked.
That'd be the hard part. I'd have to do a Belushi in animal house ("I gave my love a cherry that had no stone...") on somebody in short order.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:43 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

which journal?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
which journal?
I would assume The Wall Street Journal, but I don't know for sure and don't have a subscription to check.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a condominium dock for my boat. If I rented it out, I think I could get about $1000 more than my taxes and condo fees, which are the only costs associated with owning the dock. There may be an assessment for major dock repairs someday too. It should be pretty easy to rent, just once a year, no upkeep, not much to break on a dock, the renter gets his own electric service in his name. So what would that make this dock worth as an investment?

If I figure it would take about $25,000 in bonds/equities to take out a 4% SWR of $1,000, then my boat dock is worth about $25,000 (?).

The good part is that it would be pretty easy to forget to declare it as taxable income. I am thinking of using the income to pay the property taxes on my house, kind of as an insurance policy for my wife if something happened to me. Maybe half a dozen docks would be a good part of a multiple streams of income strategy.

I'm thinking about buying a few more of these. There is a limited amount of dock space where I live. There seems to be more and more boaters every year.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
not much to break on a dock
Oboy. You must have missed the once a year drunken ramming of the docks I've been around. One guy clipped almost every boat in the line, hit the dock, and ended up almost completely ashore.

What happens if someone throws massive parties on the boat while its at the dock? I only ask because I cant remember when I had a boat and didnt throw massive parties every time I was there...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote