My 401(k) just improved!

tpcooper

Dryer sheet wannabe
This probably doesn't deserve a post, but my 401(k) just went from offering about 10 funds from a mix of families, only one being an interesting option (a no name index fund with a .09% expense ration) to next month offering the full line of Vanguard Target Date funds along with a few others.

They just made my day, they specifically told me 2 months ago when I asked they had no plans to add Vanguard or any target date funds. I know not everyone is a fan of them, but the problem was before my 401(k) didn't even have the necessary options to do a good asset allocation. With some of the other options they may now, but I think will stick with the target date.

Sorry, just excited :p

My Vanguard 401k doesn't yet have Target Date funds available, but I wish it did. Not so much for myself, but for fellow employees who aren't interested in keeping track of investments and need a "set it and forget it" option. I still have co-workers who have most or all of their funds in our company's stock (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!) despite the pleas of myself and many others to diversify (Have they learned nothing from Enron and others?)

tpcooper,
That's great news. Hopefully more companies will start to offer these better options. Lower expenses can make a big difference, particularly over an extended period.

congrats...my plan has 4-5 index funds...I still have to use your other accounts (roth and taxable) to get other asset classes....

Curious how your changes came about...I have thought about lobbying my plan for more international...

I can't complain as my company allows a brokerage option so I am not confine to any specific fund. Also, you can invest in individual stocks if I want - however, that can get risky.

My 401K is with Fido, and the only index fund we have is Spartan S&P 500 Index. It's my core U.S. large cap holding in that account. The other funds are managed, but most of them are good funds with long-term records of strong performance and less than 1% in expenses. And they also have the Freedom funds. I use Freedom 2030 to park new contributions for a year, and then I rebalance the whole shebang to the four other funds I hold in it.

My 401(k) sucks... they only offer me:

a DFA fund, a Dodge and Cox fund, a cheap Oakmark fund and a zero expense bond fund :)

Back
Top Bottom