(My) biggest threat to FIRE

mortal

Dryer sheet aficionado
Howdy all,

I used to think that one's savings rate is by far most important variable in achieving financial independence. However, there is no 'savings' without income, and no income without a job.

I knew this, in a fuzzy sort of way, but late April it really hit home. My company went through the process of 'consolidating' their software development teams, and I was laid off.

I am the type of person that plans for everything, but this caught me by surprise. I had intended to eventually move to Atlanta someday, but this moved my timeline drastically forward.

It took me longer than I anticipated, but my interviews went well. I start a new job this Monday!

It's often said that getting to FIRE is a marathon, not a sprint. I believe that does not quite do it justice. When runners finish a marathon, they go home much the way they started. Reaching FIRE is a migration.

It feels like many discussions on the forums minimize and malign our jobs, that the migration is really an exodus. I have come to realize that the only way I (and my generation) will ever achieve FIRE is to embrace the work, perfect my craft, and excel in my career. *This* should be my goal.

I guess it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes.

Good luck in your new job, and remember...time FLIES and all of a sudden you too will be FI and ready to RE!!!

Just KEEP SAVING as much as you can, and you dont need to forgo EVERY new thing that comes along and have no life, but be smart about purchases...Especially cars.

I recently read an idea on another forum that made a light go on-people who commute to an office job in a 4WD gas hog brand new truck really don't get it. Unless you are hauling a camper on weekends, you don't "need" a big, honking, gas hog vehicle....and the money saved on cars over time really adds up.....

Anyway -enuf on the lecture....!!!! You are so right-without a J-O-B, there can be no F-I-R-E!!!!!

Howdy all,

.... I have come to realize that the only way I (and my generation) will ever achieve FIRE is to embrace the work, perfect my craft, and excel in my career. *This* should be my goal.

I guess it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes.

Great point!

While people may malign their jobs *today*, I don't think any of us (those with inheritances excepted) could have reached this point without working hard & doing well enough (if not excelling) at our jobs. And yes, staying employed. I don't think it is generational.

The better you are at your job, the more you'll enjoy it, the more you will earn and the faster you can become FI. RE can come when the drudgery/enjoyment ratio gets too high. Sometimes, the obvious takes time to sink in (and I'm no exception)

Great point!

While people may malign their jobs *today*, I don't think any of us (those with inheritances excepted) could have reached this point without working hard & doing well enough (if not excelling) at our jobs. And yes, staying employed. I don't think it is generational.

The better you are at your job, the more you'll enjoy it, the more you will earn and the faster you can become FI. RE can come when the drudgery/enjoyment ratio gets too high. Sometimes, the obvious takes time to sink in (and I'm no exception)

+1
Congratulations on your new start. It is always an exciting time.
It has always been a challenge for me to have job security. I have been laid off many times. It is not unusual.
It is good to have financial habits that will help you FIRE vs living beyond your means. You don't notice habits after a while and pretty soon you will be reaping the benefits of those habits.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom