Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Or, you could live in a location like mine, where hurricanes knocked down every tree on the tree lined street, both front yards and back. I have a rake but haven't used it since Hurricanes Katrina & Gustav. No more trees means no more leaves means no reason to rake. So, losing the trees is not all bad.
What, you mean you are not pouring concrete these days?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, all of you who proudly reuse your TP Ziplock food bags, now is your chance for 15 minutes of fame!
When my 99 year old grandmother, a daughter of the great depression, passeda few years ago. As we were cleaning out her apartment we found a drawer full of the flimsy zip lock bags that you get in some grocery stores when you buy cold cuts, all cleaned and neatly stacked.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Do I detect some rake-envy here? Yes, it took at long time to make, but fact is, I can make rake. I'm self-reliant. I can make stuff. I don't have to buy things whenever there's a problem. But I'm not doing this to save a buck, I'm doing it to prove a point. Next, I'm gonna make a bleedin' wheelbarrow.
Give 'em hell, Jacob!
I would never suggest that the woodworkers among our retirees (and you ham radio folks) should skip the craft and buy something at a yard sale instead (or get their news from the 'net).

I also love the idea that you rebuild and repair older bikes, by the way. Making do with things and creating my own implements and inventions is a peculiarly satisfying practice.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hey, good for you having the skill and gumption to make a rake.

Think that you would find an aluminum shark tooth rake - light, no clog, hella sturdy: 36" Aluminum Lute Rake, Rakes, Long Handled Tools - GEMPLER'S pretty friendly. Used around here by landscapers and concrete guys to move around aggregate. Took quite a while for me to find mine used, but it works well for some leaves and lots of other stuff.
Those look exactly like the rakes we use to rake the baseball diamonds locally..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

At the risk of reinforcing my cynical image, I think the OP is looking for a freak for their freak show. People that drive 10 year old Toyotas, buy index funds and mow their own lawn ain't gonna get it. What is needed are dumpster diving eccentrics with apartments chuck full of coat hangers and plastic grocery bags.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
At the risk of reinforcing my cynical image, I think the OP is looking for a freak for their freak show. People that drive 10 year old Toyotas, buy index funds and mow their own lawn ain't gonna get it. What is needed are dumpster diving eccentrics with apartments chuck full of coat hangers and plastic grocery bags.
Or make their own clothes out of meat (wear now, dine on later):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady-gaga-meat-dress1.jpg (196.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Future ER, dining al-fresco !

Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Give 'em hell, Jacob!
I would never suggest that the woodworkers among our retirees (and you ham radio folks) should skip the craft and buy something at a yard sale instead (or get their news from the 'net).

I also love the idea that you rebuild and repair older bikes, by the way. Making do with things and creating my own implements and inventions is a peculiarly satisfying practice.
+1 Well said.

I have to admit though, meat lady is pretty funny.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

I just wanted to thank you guys for your amazing responses, both on the boards and via email. I have read through such amazing stories and truly I am so inspired by your commitment to living frugally and valuing your time over things. Thank you for sharing and for suggesting folks to contact! Have a great weekend!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Do I detect some rake-envy here? Yes, it took at long time to make, but fact is, I can make rake. I'm self-reliant. I can make stuff. I don't have to buy things whenever there's a problem. But I'm not doing this to save a buck, I'm doing it to prove a point. Next, I'm gonna make a bleedin' wheelbarrow.

Incidentally, all-wood rakes sell for $40+. As they have no metal heads, they're lighter than metal-head rakes, not heavier. They're stiffer than plastic, they don't bite into the ground like metal, and they don't jump and skip like plastic. The handle can be shaped to conform to one's grip with a block plane, so there. Overall, this rake blows your $1 yard sale plastic iron rake out of the water.

DIY 1 - Sensible Consumerism 0 :-P

Anyway ...

I actually declined that show because I don't have any particularly bizarre frugal habits like saving the ketchup out of fast food packets or knitting sweaters out of shoelaces or whatever...

ERE is more of a Pareto approach that concentrates on the biggest expenses like housing, transportation, food, and finance charges. This doesn't make for good TV.

Also, I knew I'd have to contend with people focusing on dramatic but irrelevant things like the rake above or some other idiosyncratic detail of my life thus easily losing the overall message.
No rake envy.... I would rather spend my time doing something else unless it really saved me a lot... heck, the rake you made is not that hard to do.... I have been fixing our sprinkler system and moving some head around because the wife wants the water in a different place... but I make my son do the digging or he would be on the Xbox... so I do use free labor...

Are you making the wheel barrow out of wood

Again, I would not waste my time on doing that.... I got one free from someone who wanted to get rid of one... and it is a nice construction quality one ....

PS... We don't rake.... the leaves get picked up with the lawn mower...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCarroll View Post
I just wanted to thank you guys for your amazing responses, both on the boards and via email. I have read through such amazing stories and truly I am so inspired by your commitment to living frugally and valuing your time over things. Thank you for sharing and for suggesting folks to contact! Have a great weekend!
Ya do know the fundamental problem with frugal or 'Cheap SOB' to use her words is that after a period of time the you have to ' retire from frugal' and spend the money.

heh heh heh - unless someone has figured out how to take it with you.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #32

Quote:

You been reading my mail? I was just ready to post virtually the same thing. Even the word "freak" came to mind. Th OP is trolling in the wrong fishing hole.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Th OP is trolling in the wrong fishing hole.
Didn't you see her response? She got some nibbles here! Why so many comments about this not being a forum for finding frugals? Seems to be a recurring topic of convo in the threads. And to Travelover, you united "freak" and dumpster diving" in the same thought, so to that I say rut roh...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
I agree.

Additionally, I don't want my "life story" to be used by another, to get renumeration.

These "trolls" looking for information should be banned from this (and other) boards.

I guess you understand my feelings on the subject ...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Someone like this, who has a blog (and presumably would like traffic to it), is probably a good candidate--even we here discussed her methods! If you (& spouse) made $160K/yr, would you force your kids to wear 2nd hand clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I agree.

Additionally, I don't want my "life story" to be used by another, to get renumeration.

These "trolls" looking for information should be banned from this (and other) boards.

I guess you understand my feelings on the subject ...
[mod hat on]Rescueme, the OP first asked the owner of e-r.org for permission to post this thread and after discussion it was allowed. The membership here might be a source of inspiration or material, but the responses to a thread like this are typically as or more entertaining than any resulting article could be [/mod hat off]
Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme

[mod hat on]Rescueme, the OP first asked the owner of e-r.org for permission to post this thread and after discussion it was allowed. The membership here might be a source of inspiration or material, but the responses to a thread like this are typically as or more entertaining than any resulting article could be [/mod hat off]
It did provide some entertainment value. And I personally have no problem with the mods allowing this. After all, the OP asked for input, if you don't want to provide it (I did not), you just move on, make some pop corn, and watch the game if you want.

Where's the harm in that?

-ERD50

Tags
casting notice, frugal life, television