Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I have actually never tracked the hours I put in for the Air Force. My schedule is not fixed and fluctuates all the time - especially when deployed. When I think about it one flight can easily go over 20 hours: 4 hours prior + 14 hour flight + 2 or so hours debrief time. Granted after that sortie is complete you generally have around 36 hours off until the next flight.

trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
HAH! Sorry the whole concept of a standard workweek is bewildering. Apparantly they never took in to consult those of us on the sub side of the house.

TonyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
"After about 36 hours the CO2 levels would be a lot higher, the O2 partial pressure would be a lot lower, and a couple of drill sets would have worn the edge off everyone. Sleeping wasn't much of a problem after that..."

I don't recall more than one or two days of not being able to sleep underway. Of course, being underway 300 days a year, port and starboard watch rotation, weekly ops when we had to come in at midnight for reactor startup, and stay til midnight on Friday for shutdown and maintainance may have had something to do with that. Of course, there's always the joy that is ORSE workup. Six hours on watch running drills, six hours after watch as part of the emergency response team, and six hours before watch to as part the team conducting drills.

I think that in my eight years in the Navy, I worked an average of 90 hours per week. Of course, on the boat, your manpower is limited not only by how many sailors you get, but how many racks you have for them.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When we worked a normal "8" hour shift we averaged 42 hours in a week when I was in the AF. This did not include any scheduled training, because it was rather sporadic some months we'd have 2-4 hours every week others every other week, yearly four month deployments (where we worked an average of about 100 per week), or the "12" hours shifts we seemed to go into every couple months.

You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote