Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Need help to stay motivated
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
It will have to wait a few more days so I can finally retire. I hope that will happen Tuesday.
Quote:
I will give you a teaser - it does involve lots of nudity.
I just finished reading Wambaugh's "Hollywood Station"... are you following his writing footsteps?

BTW one of the "risks" of a military pension is the implied threat of being cut off for misconduct-- but surely the force wouldn't hold that against you guys!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Almost every good story does.

Thats okay, when you tried to kill us, I'd have ducked and martha would have run serpentine.
You think I had to look this one up but ha! Ihave read enough police procedurals to be able to run serpentine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

BTW one of the "risks" of a military pension is the implied threat of being cut off for misconduct-- but surely the force wouldn't hold that against you guys!
Hey, don't discourage him. I want the story.
It is those dang cooking words and fancy dishes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all the input. I used to love my job, however recently we "merged" with another company and that changed everything. I now have a dotted line report to one of the worlds biggest morons. All the branches are supposed to work as team in the decision making process, however MegaMoron is one of those people who thinks team is spelt IIII. He is a liar, incompetent, clueless as to how we do things and is very manipulative of situations. Megamoron has only been with the company for just over 90 days and I was hoping he would get let go at the review process which unfortunately didn't happen as they decided to give him a second chance. The good thing is everyone in power who I have spoken with agree with my take on his performance, so I am hoping that he blows his second chance and we can return to our normally scheduled programme.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You think I had to look this one up but ha! Ihave read enough police procedurals to be able to run serpentine.
Nah, that wasnt one of my designated "martha dictionary" words...those were in other posts.

Lets have the video of you running serpentine though. I'll dub in a little benny hill music.

Heck, it might be better then Leo's story.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I just finished reading Wambaugh's "Hollywood Station"... are you following his writing footsteps?

I might have to write a book. But Wambaugh is a high standard to try and live up to. When I ER'ed the writing a book thing was on my mind, a working title was "Supervision and Management of Police Tactical Units and Multi-Agency Task Forces" What a snorer that would have been!

There are places where the pension evaporates on misconduct, but luckily not here

In fact, I remembered that being mentioned in the academy "They will send your pension check to the prison. And they will also send your wife's survivor checks to the prison if she kills you."

After 2 1/2 weeks of trying to get them to fix something they screwed up, I am nearing the bubble on a post-retirement compensation issue and any more delay might push me off into somewhere I prefer not to go. All it would take would be for someone to say "Oh, I'm sorry, but there's an internal affairs hold on your paperwork." I could probably tell them where to stick that and still accomplish my goal, that can't really stop me if I'm determined, but retribution might be to mess with the characterization of my retirement. That would mean I couldn't get certain little pieces of paper that I might want, like a private investigator's license or federal firearms license. Better not to pee in the wind or tug on Superman's cape until I'm well free of danger.

Quote:
Thats okay, when you tried to kill us, I'd have ducked and martha would have run serpentine.
Wasn't that in that old Peter Falk/Alan Arkin movie, The In-Laws?

"Serpentine Shelley! Don't forget to Serpentine!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
It is those dang cooking words and fancy dishes.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wasn't that in that old Peter Falk/Alan Arkin movie, The In-Laws?

"Serpentine Shelley! Don't forget to Serpentine!"
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
,,,I have to name my 1 yr, 3 yr and 5 yr goals, and I think it would be safe to say it would be suicide to put retirement in any of those slots.....
WOW, what the heck kind of corp do you work for? It's almost a standard question for me anymore, "Hey LT, how many days?" I'm not even counting days yet, but I am under 18 month limit.

Actually, I'm finding it easier to come to work each day, because I'm coming to terms with a couple of facts. One,,,,,I am powerless to really make any significant changes in my agency. Two,,,,, my agency is powerless to make any significant impact on my future.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
.....Last weekend I decided I just couldn't keep giving my free time to the office. I was supposed to go in this weekend and I didn't, I wanted some me time. I have a pile of work on my desk which can only be accomplished by doing 60+ hours a week, something I just don't want to do.....
You get paid for a 40 hour week, so that's what you need to start to give them, a 40 hour week. Try to explain to them politely that you don't need "career-enhancing" and they should look for someone who wants it. But you have to learn to say "enough".
Old 01-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

...And then reality sets in shortly after you're fired for not working the extra time to get the expected (ridiculous) level of work done.

Welcome to corporate america , cost cutting and headcount reductions.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...And then reality sets in shortly after you're fired for not working the extra time to get the expected (ridiculous) level of work done.

Welcome to corporate america , cost cutting and headcount reductions.
Yup. I'm not sure a 40 hour work week is even normal any more, unless you're part of a union.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Again, WOW. I've never done the corporate america thing. I've been in government service and/or law enforcement ever since I left college. I hear about cut-throat stuff like that, and then thank my lucky stars I'm not in that foot race.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Again, WOW. I've never done the corporate america thing. I've been in government service and/or law enforcement ever since I left college. I hear about cut-throat stuff like that, and then thank my lucky stars I'm not in that foot race.
I've been in it over 34 years and it gets worse every year. Do more with less and learn to like it is the mantra. If you don't we can find someone else who will. Cut backs and "right sizing" will continue as America learns to work smarter instead of harder or we will have all our jobs outsourced.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My favorite still remains the preference for a kid right out of college that works 70 hour work weeks vs a 50 year old guy that wants to work 40 hours, but has enough experience to do twice the work in the reduced time, avoiding a lot of politics and BS in the process.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #34

Quote:
My favorite still remains the preference for a kid right out of college that works 70 hour work weeks vs a 50 year old guy that wants to work 40 hours, but has enough experience to do twice the work in the reduced time, avoiding a lot of politics and BS in the process.
Yes, but the kid will worship the a$$hole boss while the 50 year old knows he's a dimwit.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Actually, I'm finding it easier to come to work each day, because I'm coming to terms with a couple of facts. One,,,,,I am powerless to really make any significant changes in my agency. Two,,,,, my agency is powerless to make any significant impact on my future.
In your Corps days that used to be "We can make it harder, but they can't make it longer!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It will have to wait a few more days so I can finally retire. I hope that will happen Tuesday.
Well, I was looking at the calendar and it looks like today is Wednesday!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Well, I was looking at the calendar and it looks like today is Wednesday!
Still not retired - stuck in a bureaucratic holding pattern.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Like I said before...if a bureaucrat fell out of a window, it'd take six months for them to hit the ground.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Yup. I'm not sure a 40 hour work week is even normal any more, unless you're part of a union.
Not even then ... there are companies that would rather pay the OT than hire another body or two.