Join Early Retirement Today

Need to increase taxable investments. Where?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need to increase taxable investments. Where?

We're to a point now where we have our cash reserves built back up, are on track with our savings goals, and want to start investing more money. Tax-advantaged accounts are maxed out between my contributions to a Roth 401(k) and my wife's contributions to her 401(k).

I'm also putting money in a 401(k) post-tax. I like my fund options but I don't know if this strategy makes sense.

Taxable only makes up 6% of our portfolio right now and it's losing ground fast. It's roughly divided between Vanguard TSM and Dodge & Cox International.

So, should I just bump up the TSM and international and call it good? I've toyed with the idea of Wellesely but I assume that's not a really smart play for a taxable account.

Oh, yeah, I'm 30. Wife is 29. Our AA is:

Bond - 22%
Lg Cap - 39%
Mid Cap - 5%
Sm Cap - 7%
International - 27%

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TSM is definitely tax efficient. Can't beat that much.

I recently added VG tax managed small cap fund to my taxable portfolio because I can't add any more funds to tax-deferred accounts and I was underweight in Sm Cap.

How tax efficient is your D & C international?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
How tax efficient is your D & C international?
It hurt a bit this year but they had to realize quite a few gains to cover payouts with people fleeing equity positions. I'm going to hold it through this year and then re-evaluate going to Vanguards FTSE ex-US fund or moving the International part of the AA into a 401(k).
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have VG Europe, VG Pacific, and VG Emerging Mkts in my taxable account. These funds have been pretty tax efficient and I expect them to continue to be. I keep the int'l value fund in tax advantaged accounts because it pays out a lot of CG's.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #5

It would be very hard to beat Vanguard TSM and FTSE ex-USA in taxable - probably the most common recomendation at the Bogleheads site. I use the ETF versions as that works better for me long term the way I invest. If you move your International to your 401k you will lose the foreign tax deduction.

DD
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #6

I own PRPFX in a taxable account and it is extemely tax efficient and an excellent diversifier. It is on moderate side of risk spectrum.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
We're to a point now where we have our cash reserves built back up, are on track with our savings goals, and want to start investing more money. Tax-advantaged accounts are maxed out between my contributions to a Roth 401(k) and my wife's contributions to her 401(k).

I'm also putting money in a 401(k) post-tax. I like my fund options but I don't know if this strategy makes sense.
You might find this thread I started helpful: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-23469.html

We decided to go with a taxable account instead of putting money into a 401K post-tax. Almost all of our taxable is in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marquette,

Do you have IRAs? We contribute to a traditional IRA now in addition to our 401ks, and then kick into taxable accounts. If you can do an IRA, I'd do it before a taxable account.

You may have covered this already, sorry if so.

BTW, your dog persuasion pictures worked. We picked up a Lab at the humane society a couple of weeks ago... happy us!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #9

Urchina, congrats on the new furry addition!... and I couldn't be happier about your choice of venues.

We don't get the tax benefit of the IRA, but I think we could contribute after tax dollars and then let them grow tax-deferred. However, I believe I was told to pursue the after-tax 401(k) instead last time I asked that question.

I think at this point I want to pad the taxable a bit just to give us some options down the road (heaven forbid they change the 72(t) tax code before I can take advantage of it!). We've doubled our Vanguard TSM savings rate for now while we figure the rest out.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Marquette - I contribute a set % to my 401k and once the IRS limit is reached, my 401k admin automatically switches over my contributions to after tax. So, over time, I have accumulated about $2k worth of after tax contributions. Anyway, I called my 401k administration to find out what happens to those after tax contributions when I leave my job and roll over the rest to TIRA.

She (the rep) said they can cut me a (tax free) check for after tax contributions (not gains) or I can roll them into a non-deductible TIRA. Upon further prodding, she shared two additional tidbits: (1) I could then roll that non-deductible TIRA to ROTH (2010 and later, income limitation goes away), (2) depending on the HR set-up I may be allowed to do yearly in-service after tax contribution rollovers to non-deductible TIRAs. This would work great in my case, since I currently have no IRAs of any kind.

Word of caution!!!!!! I have to say, she did not give out a great aura of confidence, so this option may or may not be viable. My plan is to follow-up on this with my HR and another rep. However, if this is indeed doable, starting with next year I may up my after tax contributions as a way of funding ROTH.