Join Early Retirement Today

Net Worth Benchmarks
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Net Worth Benchmarks

A few years ago I came across an article that gave benchmarks for personal net worth stated as "x" times your annual income. The benchmarks were stated for age brackets (30s, 40s, 50s, etc), and I vaguely recall that for someone at about 35, the benchmark was 3-5x gross income.

I know from the "Millionare Next Door" that the wealth accumulation formula is similar with (age*gross income)/10, but deosn't necessarily produce similar numbers.

Does anyone know of any similar personal net worth benchmarks?

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Net Worth Benchmarks
Old 09-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember that about 40 years back the sign of a financial winner was to "make your age." Inflation made that a short lived big deal.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I'm being taxed my age ...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I dug thru my archives and found a formula printed in Money Mag Dec '03, but turns out its based on Millionaire Next Door

So whats good or bad with this formula?

My problem with many of these benchmarks is that they usually use "household" data and I wish it was based on household size.

Average Net Worth (ANW) =Income * Age/10
The benchmark is 1.0 (Average)
Old 09-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
I dug thru my archives and found a formula printed in Money Mag Dec '03, but turns out its based on Millionaire Next Door
So whats good or bad with this formula?*
The problem with that formula is that it was derived to fit Stanley's small sample of millionaires who bear little or no resemblance to the rest of society.

In other words it was a way of establishing a yardstick that was only applicable to the group of people who he profiled in his book.* If he had even suspected that the media and his readers would actually try measure their own performance by his formula then he never would have published it!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah that formula can really throw unrealistic numbers, it's far to blunt a tool.

Take someone who just got out of law school 26 years old just got first job making 85k. They're not likely to have a 220k net worth... it'll probably be negative by a good bit with student loans.

Can work the other way with someone who's recently downsized their income.
WRBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

As in most financial things, it doesn't matter how you compare to others. What matters is where you are on your personal journey to wherever you are going.

Ha
Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Administrator

HaHa;

You are a wise person.

Gumby
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

True, Haha, but sometimes when I was stuck in cubicle hell, I couldn't help but trot out the numbers if only to see how much more of a hell someone else with less money must be experiencing. Sad but true.

Now I find myself in school learning and doing the things I want to do, I don't trot out the numbers. Having tons of attractive women to talk to everyday doesn't hurt my mood either.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Gumby, thank you for the kind words.

Buns- I know what you mean. I am in favor of anything that can help a person cope. All I meant really was that we all approach our goals differently, and often have very different goals. Much of the expensive things that some like to do I likely won't be doing. For the most part I would rather hang out and do things with friends in places that I am familiar with already, or maybe just read a book. So I might not feel that I need quite as much money as someone else.

OTOH, I make pretty conservative assumptions, so I might need more money to be able to be relaxed about it.

And I definitely agree with you that being around kind, attractive women is a real upper.*

Ha
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #11

Yup. His formula doesn't work at all for someone under 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The problem with that formula is that it was derived to fit Stanley's small sample of millionaires who bear little or no resemblance to the rest of society.

In other words it was a way of establishing a yardstick that was only applicable to the group of people who he profiled in his book.* If he had even suspected that the media and his readers would actually try measure their own performance by his formula then he never would have published it!
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet
Yup.* His formula doesn't work at all for someone under 35.*
His "formula" doesn't work for anyone who wasn't interviewed for "The Millionaire Next Door"!

It's not a formula, it's a mathematical summary of the data he collected. It's like trying to value today's stocks using a chart from the year 1996.

Now everyone stop using it for a scorecard!!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #13

Here's a networth benchmark we considered some time back:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=3621.0

If you are going to use this, you need to backout SS and/or pension income from projected expenses or convert those benefits to a present net worth and add them to your savings/investment net worth.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Here's a networth benchmark we considered some time back:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=3621.0

If you are going to use this, you need to backout SS and/or pension income from projected expenses or convert those benefits to a present net worth and add them to your savings/investment net worth.* *
The first post under that link reads.........As far as I know, this FOM has no merit, but I wanted to try out the poll function. ........so what am I missing?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
The first post under that link reads.........As far as I know, this FOM has no merit, but I wanted to try out the poll function.* * * ........so what am I missing?
the remainder of the posts? :
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

In other words it was a way of establishing a yardstick that was only applicable to the group of people who he profiled in his book. If he had even suspected that the media and his readers would actually try measure their own performance by his formula then he never would have published it!
While I agree with you that the formula itself isn't very applicable to a wide range of people, Stanley does indeed present it as though it is:

"Whatever your age, whatever your income, how much should you be worth right now?...A simple rule of thumb, however, is more than adequate in computing one's net worth...Given your age and income, how does your net worth match up?" (The Millionaire Next Door, pages 13-14)

And of course this advice is given under the heading "How to determine if you're wealthy." (emphasis added)

How can one read that and not think that the author intended anything but for the reader to apply that formula to their own financial situation?

I love the book by the way, and am currently encouraging my 13 year old to read it.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #17

Here's another link to a discussion of net worth benchmarks

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5883.0

here's the table that I posted in that thread. See the referenced thread for the finer points about this benchmark.

Attached Images
File Type: gif savings_and_debt.gif (8.2 KB, 324 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb savings_and_debt.gif_thumb (19.6 KB, 2 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog

Does anyone know of any similar personal net worth benchmarks?
1) Enough to retire

2) Not enough to retire

I can't think of any other benchmark that matters.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
1)* Enough to retire

2)* Not enough to retire

I can't think of any other benchmark that matters.
So, you're still chosing to be a number two?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well today is my 34th birthday. I'm not sure if I meet certain benchmarks or not , but I think I'm doing o.k. I went to law school and didn't start my career until I was 25 with some SL's. Pretty much done w/ the loans now. My wife and I adopted our first child and those fees weren't cheap. So b/c of those two things we probably aren't leading the pack for 34 year olds, but I'm happy where we are at. We have approx 80k in retirement, 15 k cash(MMA), an affordable mortgage, college funds for both kids,and jobs we enjoy. I can sleep at night knowing I am doing my best to LBYM and enjoying life at the same time.

If you are reading on this board, you are probably ahead of the game. Can you retire at 37? 47? or even 60? Who knows. But if you're regularly reading this board, you're definitely ahead of the masses. Enjoy the ride, and keep working at it.

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net worth