Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy your family first. Watch the spending second. Save/invest what you can. Before you know it you'll be retired with wonderful memories and a nice nest egg to get you through to the end.

Enjoying life!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I would develop a disaster fallback plan. As an example, I have a friend who has lived full-time in PV MX who has since 1992 on investment of $250k plus he owns his townhouse and a rental condo. So his net worth including RE is $850k (or less depending on the RE market in PV).

In the summer, he returns to the US for a couple of months (VRBO) and takes a relocation cruise to/from Europe. He gets medical coverage from the VA.

The point is that, once you accept your own fallback plan, then everything else is upside. After 13 years of work, I went into a period of negative net worth for about 4 years. Since then I have never looked back. But I never forgot the lesson. And the fallback plan kept me sane.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My fallback plan is a 25' motorhome parked on state land in New Mexico. I have not told my wife about this to see how she would react.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Whenever I get in the net worth doldrums due to a flat/down market. I get uber aggressive with my investments. I increase my investment amount as much as I can. One, it helps get the balance going again. And two, I like to buy shares of stocks/funds I already own at a constant/decreasing price. It's nice to have a breather where I can buy stock without chasing the price constantly.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:33 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Dash man - Very true. We tried for 5 years to even have 1, so we try hard to be thankful and mindful parents every day.

kcowan - I think my wife and I on our own would survive no matter what. We have always gone against the grain, are very worldly and would have no issue living in ways that most people think nuts (aka sailboat slow travel to LCOL countries, sure!)

Cassius King - Good advice. The harder I get battered, the harder I need to fight back. Quitting and giving up is not an option.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, what do you know. Thanks to the markets little nudge of euphoria we are sitting at $605,000 today. Yaaay! I know, easy come, easy go, but it is a nice little mental accomplishment.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Look on the bright side, you're buying (somewhat) low based on an assumed future market rise.....
Gotta love a sale!

Pulled a bunch out the last few years (15% for kids to get houses in the SF Bay Area) but compounding will take over soon

For the OP: it's harder on renters as your entire net worth is based on stock market - no home equity involved. But then I don't include home equity in our valuations as you cannot (or should not) spend it IMHO
Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #28

Me think OP should not take invest in the stock market. I checked the sp500 on his first posting and today's price. Virtually no change. I don't see why one should get excited over small fluctuation. Take 40% off your investment and see how you feel. If that doesn't feel too good, you are over invested.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes the market has been flat. Happens, nothing to get worried about
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

One solution is to look less frequently .
Don't worry, once you hit 600, there's 700, 800, 1M, 2M, 4M, 10M... you have to get pretty high before the next target isn't in sight :P

You're on a great path!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

gayl - our REITS give us a fair amount of equity in real estate.

Fedup - the initial post was about making slow headway, not necessarily about market fluctuations. I didn't check the markets on the day I posted, but thanks to a slight rise since I last did, plus some savings this month, we were finally pushed over this little psychological barrier, that's all.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #32

Simple answer. Add the future value of government retirement payments!
Don't worry. Be happy.