New ROTH IRA, Which Fund is best?

hcho3528

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi. I just opened a Roth IRA account today through ICMA-RC, and I am wondering which fund would be best suited for me. I have 23 more years before I retire at 50 in my profession. I ended up putting 100% of my funds into the Vantagepoint Milestone 2030 Fund, but I did it without much knowledge. Any advice on what would be a better pick?

Here is a link to the choices-

The Vantagepoint IRA Fund Lineup - ICMA-RC

Great that you are saving for retirement, with many years ahead of you!
I think, generally speaking, most would not have a problem with your selection of a Target Retirement fund of 2030. Most here tho, would suggest funds with as low as possible expense ratios, as these expenses add up to big $$ over time, especially with 23 years ahead of you.
Vanguard, Fidelity, and others have low expense ratios of Target 2030 funds nearing .2 percent compared with about 1 percent of the Vantagepoint funds, and they are basically the same investment.
If you decide to switch to Vanguard or Fidelity or another with a low ER, it is not a big deal, and they can hold your hand through the process.

Great that you are saving for retirement, with many years ahead of you!
I think, generally speaking, most would not have a problem with your selection of a Target Retirement fund of 2030. Most here tho, would suggest funds with as low as possible expense ratios, as these expenses add up to big $$ over time, especially with 23 years ahead of you.
Vanguard, Fidelity, and others have low expense ratios of Target 2030 funds nearing .2 percent compared with about 1 percent of the Vantagepoint funds, and they are basically the same investment.
If you decide to switch to Vanguard or Fidelity or another with a low ER, it is not a big deal, and they can hold your hand through the process.

What he said.

Thanks for the advice BigBob. I was fortunate to be working with a lot of older guys when I first started my career at 21. They forced me to start going to retirement seminars with them at work, even though I didn't think I needed to. Thanks to their wisdom I have a pretty healthy nest egg through deferred comp, my new ROTH IRA, and my pension at 28. It does make a difference starting early!

Back
Top Bottom