Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't feel that the interesting aspects of upheaval and moving to location after location is more important than having a hometown and roots.
When we were stationed in San Diego, our next-door neighbors had been living in their house for 38 years. She had grown up around the corner, where her mother still lived. His parents & siblings had stayed in the area and he had also been there his entire life.

We were both very quick to bring up the drawbacks of our relative lifestyles, and we each thought the other's was a very good deal.

Next month we'll have lived in this house for nine years. It's the longest I've ever lived continuously at one address since high school. Second-longest was five years...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When we were stationed in San Diego, our next-door neighbors had been living in their house for 38 years. She had grown up around the corner, where her mother still lived. His parents & siblings had stayed in the area and he had also been there his entire life.

We were both very quick to bring up the drawbacks of our relative lifestyles, and we each thought the other's was a very good deal.
Yeah, the grass is always greener over there.

No really, it IS greener!! Just look at all that green grass over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Next month we'll have lived in this house for nine years. It's the longest I've ever lived continuously at one address since high school. Second-longest was five years...
When I was a young thing like you (what, 40-45 or so?) the longest I had done the same was 2-3 years.

Now that I am 61, it's almost 7 years. I bought my present house on August 23, 2002.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Coastal AL is not very far from where you are. At some point your responsibilities to your aunt will become less, and when they do why not drive to coastal Alabama and visit him? Since you are retired, you can have your cake and eat it too, as they say. You could enjoy his interesting life and yet still return home when you tire of it.
Oh I plan to. Great food and plenty of golf courses near by. But his new wife would like to have a baby soon(she's older and doesn't want to wait too long), so that might have an impact on how often I want to go visit.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Oh I plan to. Great food and plenty of golf courses near by. But his new wife would like to have a baby soon(she's older and doesn't want to wait too long), so that might have an impact on how often I want to go visit.
You could stay in a motel (I know, $$$ but it would make it easier on her). Then you could drop by, admire the baby for ten minutes or so, and you and he could quickly leave to go hang out together and do interesting guy stuff. If he is like my ex, he will need a "break" now and then anyway. You could eat and play golf but also you could do whateveritis that the gulf coast of Alabama has to offer, that Dawg54stown Mississippi doesn't. Consider it a rescue mission.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote