Join Early Retirement Today

not with a bang but a whimper
Old 10-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #1

not with a bang but a whimper

So this is how a career ends, huh?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: not with a bang but a whimper
Old 10-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
So this is how a career ends, huh?
That's pretty much up to you and your uninhibited behavior standards on your final day in the office. And besides, you can always start your career up again-- but you rarely get a chance to end it on your terms.

One of my more wild-eyed classmates at submarine school celebrated his graduation a little too joyfully (we were a little concerned surprised that he graduated too) and the bartender finally felt compelled to request police assistance in subduing his inebriated exhuberance. At about 3 AM, when the classmate could see clearly enough to dial a telephone, he called the school director for a little bail assistance. The school director asked "Did you complete your checkout sheet before you started partying?" Thinking he was being asked if he was a conscientious naval officer, the classmate replied "Of course, sir!" The school director said "Thanks, nice talking to you", hung up, and turned off the phone.

I didn't end my career with a bang but I had a hard time keeping the smirk off my face. Three years later I still don't feel any whimpering.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations,

You are free now!! *Who cares how it ended. *You probably got the emails of those you want to keep in touch with, and the rest.....well they never were good friends anyway. *

Enjoy the next phase of your life. *

KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #4

Don't sweat it. Enjoy your new stage of life.

MJ
Old 10-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #5

Well thanks, Nords and KB. *Reading between the lines in the forum though, it is obvious that I am generally dismissed as just another attractive, affable but not that bright, stud. *Should my thoughts and ideas are dismissed merely because I am sensational in bed? That sounds like prejudice to me. *Maybe bigotry. *For just like those guys in the profound thread, I can quote T.S. Eliot. *Even though haha thinks it's a bit dark for this forum.
For this I can thank the good Brothers and Priests at the prestigious St. Sherman of the Pedophiles Preparatory School on the North Shore of Boston. *Locals know the school to which I refer.* You see, back in the mid 1970's, under the loving tutelage of the Capuchin Salesian Brothers, young men were drilled in the Languages, Arts and Sciences. *The indolent would draw special notice, whereupon we would be pounded, over and over. We learned the hard way not to draw attention to ourselves. T.S. Eliot was a favorite of Brother Xavier. *Slight, and wispy, he would sit on the edge of his desk, holding his cigarette just so. *If he wasn't looking at us funny, he would read to us. *He used to tell us that he had no intention of making us into scholars. *That was beyond his abilities. *He did, however, say that he did want to provide us the ability to "fake it" *later in life. *All in all, a questionable goal.

But I digress. *My purpose here is to bid a fond fare-thee-well to my dear friends here in the Young Dreamers forum. *My accidental grand tour of the GS scale is drawing to a close. It got wobbly near the end. *Good thing weebles wobble but they don't fall down. * I made nice to the grand exit social set. *They are happy. *I am relieved. *I am told that I can still change my mind. *Hmmm... Decisions, decisions. *My office has been cleared out. The high rent district office vultures are circling. *It is beyond even my proven considerable capacity for embarrassment to move everything back in and say "never mind." *So I guess I am retiring.

I have dreamt of this moment for years. *I maneuvered myself into a department where I suspected there would be--as the British say--redundancies. *Early Retirement was the Holy Grail, the unquestioned reward for my efforts. *Now that it has arrived, it seems, well, "different." *I feel dissociated from the process. Sorry to be so inarticulate, but there are more apprehensions and misgivings than I would have anticipated. *I trust this will dissipate over time.

So goodbye, young dreamers and planners and spreadsheeters, all. *It is time to move next door to the opinionated and annoying old pharts forum. *I will dispense wisdom with the cranky dismissive assurance of someone who knows that he is right. *I will be your fortune cookie, only much more simplistic. *Please don't waste my time expecting me to listen. *I am beyond that. *I earned it.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So goodbye, young dreamers and planners and spreadsheeters, all. *It is time to move next door to the opinionated and annoying old pharts forum. *I will dispense wisdom with the cranky dismissive assurance of someone who knows that he is right. *I will be your fortune cookie, only much more simplistic. *Please don't waste my time expecting me to listen. *I am beyond that. *I earned it.
¡Bienvenido a Tozz! I never realized you were a "YD", from the beginning you seemed as cool as we Old Pharts. BTW, I never thought that Eliot was beyond the board, only that Prufrock is a downer.*

Ha
Old 10-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Inarticulate", you say? You said it all, mighty fine.

I hope your ER days hold many unexpected joys.

kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #8

Tozz, that wasn't a whimper you heard -- it was a sigh of relief.* *Soon, you'll find that your body in no longer awash in catecholamines.* *Instead, you'll bathe in the natural mellowing agents of ketchup life.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well thanks, Nords and KB. *Reading between the lines in the forum though, it is obvious that I am generally dismissed as just another attractive, affable but not that bright, stud. *Should my thoughts and ideas are dismissed merely because I am sensational in bed?
Well, I've learned to live with that reputation in my house...

In a couple months you'll be in the ER groove or you'll decide to seek solace in the cubicle farm fast-paced business life again. Either way it'll be the right decision for you.

But I'm betting that you didn't work this hard to get back to work.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So goodbye, young dreamers and planners and spreadsheeters, all. It is time to move next door to the opinionated and annoying old pharts forum.
Welcome, tozz. But realize you are now a rookie in a whole new league and will have to pay your dues before getting your annoyong old fart curmudgeon license. Your first assignment is to decipher and translate this post from Greg

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...75274#msg75274

for the other members of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
In a couple months you'll be in the ER groove or you'll decide to seek solace in the cubicle farm fast-paced business life again.
My retirement came with a warning label and I suggest you pay attention: "You may have thoughts of returning to work. If this condition persists for more than four hours, consult a physician immediately."

Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #11

Tozz,
Welcome to our side of the hill!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #12

Tozz: Hip, hip , Hooray!

--Greg
Old 10-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

HEY! GET OFF MY BOARD ALREADY TOZZ!

Congrat's man, was that enough of a bang for you?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #14

tozz,
Congratulations and welcome to the other side. May you have many days of being "busy doing nothing" and may you be better than me in getting more less than half of it done at the end of the day.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #15

Congrats, Tozz.
Question: You sleeping in this morning? Just asking? Well, you oughtta be!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Tozz!

Welcome to the world of ER. I did it once but for very personal reasons, went to work again and am looking at my second ER in a year or two. It does give one a start when you realize you will never work at that place again or do the things you have been doing for many years ever again. Some people can't deal with the thought of not having structure to their days and the loss of identity (who are you?) can be a major issue for some.

Leaving a career that you have struggled to develop over years of toil and sweat can leave one with an empty hollow feeling. In time that will be replaced with the feelings of joy and relief. Your perspective on life and what you believe is important will evolve as you get used to your new life.

This is only the end of a working career; not the end of your life. You will soon be amazed at all the stuff that you can do now and will wonder why you waited so long.

Good luck in your new life.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #17

Congrat Tozz!!! Enjoy your new found freedom!

C___

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #18

Tozz = No longer institutionalized
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #19

That post by Greg was so lame. *EVERYONE knows that Spock is just a TV character, not a real person. *Even if he was a real person, I suppose he's going to fly in from planet Vulcan==just like that==so he can hide under the bed with Michael Jackson? *

Duh. I'm suprised everyone else here believes the story. *

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Your first assignment is to decipher and translate this post from Greg

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...75274#msg75274

for the other members of the forum.