Join Early Retirement Today

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen
Old 09-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just make sure you don't get "bambooz-led" with money into walking away from a job with important non-monetary stuff. I can't say I have ever had that problem, but still.

Oh yeah, and practice these two words: "signing bonus."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

That's a good question, how does one ask for a signing bonus?

the 9/80 is the big deal breaker, if they don't have something comperable, I just don't see how I'd go.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

the 9/80 is the big deal breaker, if they don't have something comperable, I just don't see how I'd go.
The signing bonus is something to throw out if you are trying to close the gap and they won't budge any more on salary.

Unfortunately, with most consulting firms, it isn't 9/80. More like 13/125, regardless of what they tell you.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
how about something like...

"Gee I think I'd be a great fit in your organization. If you'd induce me to come to work for you with a substantial signing bonus and a generous pay package I think we'd make a great team"
Old 09-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:

Laurence, I'd cut off my left nut for 9/80 so they really better bring the $$$ for you to leave that.

Also know that consulting companies are famous for "trimming headcount" at the first signs of slowing business.

Also, don't be shy. Simply say "I'm giving up some attractive things from my current job, It's only fair that you compensate me for making this change" Many firms have more room on the signing bonus than they do on salary

Finally, Brewer is right about the hours. Some of my friends work for large consulting/accounting firms PWC, E&Y, etc) If you look at their recruiting materials they show you how with their firm you can work on flex time, work from home, etc. That is very similar to how car dealers run ads in the Sunday paper telling you that you can lease a new BMW for $199 a month. They may have one car at that price, just like the consulting firms have one person who actually works 40 hours a week on flex time.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
They may have one car at that price, just like the consulting firms have one person who actually works 40 hours a week on flex time.*
And that one person is either the head partner's cabana boy or idling long enough for someone from HR to come down and shoot them.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
O.K., so I guess the technical interview went well because they want to meet me.* I reiterated that they'll have to make a significant offer above my current salary (and I told them best case scenario + rounded up when I ballparked current salary) and they basically said if the interview goes well they have all the room they need on that number.* Interesting.*
Remember the book 'The Firm'? The young lawyer(Mitch McDeere) was offered a ton of money to go to work for a prestigious law firm in Memphis. Well old Mitch had quite a ride didn't he. Be careful of what the old dollar might lure you into.*

Old 09-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Remember the book 'The Firm'? The young lawyer(Mitch McDeere) was offered a ton of money to go to work for a prestigious law firm in Memphis. Well old Mitch had quite a ride didn't he. Be careful of what the old dollar might lure you into.*

Yeah, but also don't be afraid to grab the brass ring if the deal is right for you. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't read the whole thread, so appologize if this has been mentioned before.

My DH interviewed with them about a year ago. They seem to have kind of "ra-ra" culture, very big on "mentoring" and "developing" their employees.

If this is something that would concern you, you might want to investigate.

And from what I understand, you won't have to twist their arm to get a signing bonus

Lena
Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen - UPDATE

UPDATE

So I had my interview today, they actually managed to run the whole three hours. Everyone was friendly, but they definitely grilled me. My Kung Fu held up pretty well, and I'm a pretty polished guy, so I think things went well. Phrases like, "you are Booz Allen material" "I would be comfortable having you interface with customers next week" etc. made me feel pretty good.

It was very Rah-Rah, I'll have to spend some money on my wardrobe, since it's shirt and tie (even here in San Diego!). The work sounds very exciting, and there is a clear path up from where I'd be starting

---ooh, yah, my title would be "senior consultant" sounds good, eh? Only that's a relatively low rank within the company.

Only drawback is the commute, it's about 15 minutes longer than my current commute. But if they come with the right money, it's worth it. We'll see!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #31

Good for you Laurence, I hope things work out the way you want.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

That's great, Laurence. How do the other benefits stack up vs. your current gig? If your current employer counter-offfered, would you stay? Probably worth thinking that one through before you quit.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Lawrence. If you take the job I would avoid posting about Booz unless everything turns out great. Some employers don't appreciate employees critcizing them on blogs -- I have no idea if Booz is one of them but discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Even though this thread is friendly and all, we can delete it later if you want Laurence.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Only drawback is the commute, it's about 15 minutes longer than my current commute. But if they come with the right money, it's worth it. We'll see!
Considering your current working conditions, maybe the new ciommute will actually happen in daylight. Both ways!

And I think your current employer has had more than enough opportunities to fix the current situation. The big bosses haven't had you up to dinner this month, either, have they?

The best thing about all of this is that you're young enough & financially stable enough to be able to consider all the opportunities being thrown your way. If nothing else, your spouse's part-time income gives you a heckuva launching pad. And if you don't immolate any bridges on the way out the door, your current employer would seem to have a future place for you anytime...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Phew! I've always lived by being above board, and so I informed my management and the bandini hit the fan! They don't want me to go, I'm going to listen to what they have to say, but it's not just about the money. The type of work this new place has really sounds like a good fit, too. Plus the places I'll get to go and work will be really exciting, and my technical skills will get honed instead of stagnating. First thing's first though, Booz has to make an offer that I'd want to take.

As far as the benefits, I think they all match up even except in one place where Booz stands out: They put 10% (in this case, 10k) of your salary into your 401k whether you match it or not, as ER hopefuls that is a biggie! The team I would be working with is very sparkly, real bright guys.

Bottom line, I feel loyalty for my company, but I think even if they managed to match, I'd be at or near the top, and BAH would be bringing me in on the ground floor with room to nearly double my salary in the existing career path....I am conflicted, but feeling myself tipping towards leaving...
Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bottom line, I feel loyalty for my company, but I think even if they managed to match, I'd be at or near the top, and BAH would be bringing me in on the ground floor with room to nearly double my salary in the existing career path....I am conflicted, but feeling myself tipping towards leaving...
Wait and hear the offers from both sides. Make sure both sides know that you are being courted by the other. Sit back, smile, and wait... Its all good.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Well....that was interesting. Upper manager was visibly upset but trying to control it. I think he was miffed that I didn't come to him earlier, but I feel that I did.
He's not "one of those" type of managers - good guy, really, so I was a little thrown off. Said all the things "lots of good stuff coming down the pipe, let me know what they offer and give me a chance before you commit." etc. But he also had some less than flattering things to say about Booz, which threw me, too.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #39

Good Luck, Laurence with whatever direction you go in.

I've had offers from two Bay Area company's (can't say names) doing PeopleSoft/Oracle work at $125 per hour with 100% travel . I don't think so. I'm too old to be living in airports. I've decided on a small company with slightly more pay and WAY less stress. I've already given notice and my current employer's senior management are having cows as I write this post.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Well....that was interesting. Upper manager was visibly upset but trying to control it. I think he was miffed that I didn't come to him earlier, but I feel that I did.
He's not "one of those" type of managers - good guy, really, so I was a little thrown off. Said all the things "lots of good stuff coming down the pipe, let me know what they offer and give me a chance before you commit." etc. But he also had some less than flattering things to say about Booz, which threw me, too.
When your current management talks to you again, say something like "I wish I could stay, If only you could really enable/incentivise me to stay then we'd have something"

Per the bad blood talk about Booz,... What did you expect them to say ?

At worst, you could take the job with Booz and if it doesn't work out come back to where you are now with a 10-20 percent raise.