Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen
Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I've already given notice and my current employer's senior management are having cows as I write this post.
In some ways, I think that is one of the best things about leaving.

I'll go you one better, though. When I left my last job, the tradition in the group was that the company picked up the tab for a farewell luncheon at a nice restaurant. The head dog, who I despised (and the feeling was probably mutual), didn't make it to my lunch as he was attending to something very urgent. Since just my friends in the group came, it was quite the party: $100 bottles of wine, 4 courses, brandy for afters, etc. I think he about had a cow when he saw the bill, not that I give a rat's patoot.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! Well, I felt I needed to clear the air, since I haven't even gotten an offer, much less accepted, so I sent him an email asking in professional terms, "Are you pissed at me? I tried to do this right." and he quickly met with me again to say he was the total opposite of upset with me and actually just feeling like he didn't do enough to address my issues seriously. Phew! I mean, there is something that comes to mind about telling everybody at work how you really feel about them then finding out you didn't win the lotto last night after all...

Seriously, I would never burn a bridge at this company, this particular situation is frustrating as hell, but the company itself is a good one, and you never know when you might knock on the door again...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I sent him an email asking in professional terms, "Are you pissed at me? I tried to do this right." and he quickly met with me again to say he was the total opposite of upset with me and actually just feeling like he didn't do enough to address my issues seriously...

Seriously, I would never burn a bridge at this company, this particular situation is frustrating as hell, but the company itself is a good one, and you never know when you might knock on the door again...
You are handling this very well. I had occassion to loose valuable employees (usually for $ -- I was with the Fed Gmmt) and I am sure that the look on my face when they gave me the news may have worried a few of them. What you are seeing are managers worrying about themselves. After all, they can't get the job done without you. In my case, I always supported the people who moved on to greener passages and let them know they would be welcome back.

I had a couple return after the dot com meltdown and a couple of others return after they encountered less enlightened managers at the new job. If you like the company and its management it is wise to keep your bridges in good repair.

I hope BAH gives you a good offer. As I mentioned earlier in the thread my son loves it over there.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So...do they give you a T-shirt on your first day that says "I work for Booz"?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Okay, that was funny!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I sent him an email asking in professional terms, "Are you pissed at me? I tried to do this right."
What is this "professional terms"?!?

Maybe this is just the submarine force way, but I'd go to my boss and say "Are you pissed at me? I tried to do this right!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
LOL! I wish! The dress code is one minor downside. Shirt and Tie at least, suits are common, lots of bluetooth cell phone pieces and shiny dress shoes. I already told DW that the first month's difference in salary is already spent on wardrobe changes. I might love it, or I might not be able to do it forever. I don't think having 5 years as a senior consultant at Booz Allen will hurt the resume, though!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What is this "professional terms"?!?

Maybe this is just the submarine force way, but I'd go to my boss and say "Are you pissed at me? I tried to do this right!"
Well, here it is with names removed:

"XXXXX,

I hope that we are fine. I may be mistaken, but you seemed pretty upset. It was never my intention to hang you out to dry or leave you in the dark. I had to balance when to say something about my interview between giving you enough lead time and crying wolf far too early. The last thing I want to be is a mercenary, especially when XXX has been a great company to me. Yes, I’m frustrated, but I know things have to be looked at in the long term. I would not undertake a career change lightly.

Is there an appropriate time to inform your manager that you’ve looked elsewhere? I agonized over that, and felt I this was the best point along to path to say something. I apologize if you felt under informed on this, but I know you are busy and have 70+ people vying for your time, and I didn’t want to say something until there was something to say. The last thing I want to do is burn a bridge with XXX."

Old 10-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, here it is with names removed:
Man, I wish I'd known how to do that 10 years ago-- my bosses probably wished I'd known how to do it 15 or 20 years ago...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

The manager at Booz said in "professional terms":

"You are obviously good at BullS***, and I mean that in a good way!"
Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"You are obviously good at BullS***, and I mean that in a good way!"
You can always spot a nuke...

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen - Last Update
Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

So drum roll......

They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team. I just got back from an 8 day business trip and missed Tori something fierce (and that lady who lives here, too) so I think taking a job with more travel may not be the right move (does that sound like sour grapes?). Strangely though, after the initial feeling of rejection, I felt a little relief. I think I just have too much going on right now. :P
Old 10-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Lawrence -

Sorry to hear about the job offer going south - but as you said it probably is for the best. With #2 on the way and going to school, you and your wife have a lot on your plates! I have a strong feeling that you will be very glad that you aren't ending up on the road ..... It can be a miserable and lonely life in a hotel room.

I think you will do just fine -- you really seem to have your s**t together! Besides, you never know what is waiting down the line.

Good things come to those who wait ............

Jane
Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So drum roll......

They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team. I just got back from an 8 day business trip and missed Tori something fierce (and that lady who lives here, too) so I think taking a job with more travel may not be the right move (does that sound like sour grapes?). Strangely though, after the initial feeling of rejection, I felt a little relief. I think I just have too much going on right now. :P
Honestly, Laurence, that was my gut feeling. I think you ended up in the right choice for now.

3 years ago, I was monumentally unhappy at my job and I was looking even though it was a bad time to be looking. DW was pregnant with our first, and we had just moved, DW had quit work, etc. An employer made me a somewhat attractive offer, but I knew the job wasn't a good long term fit. It was very tempting to take a 25% raise and a ticket out of a miserable job, but I turned it down. In the long run, it was a very good decision.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team.
No losers in this beauty contest... you're on a list and I'm sure this will circle back around in a few months.

How's your current employer treating you now that they know you're staying put for a while?

Old 10-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

A job with a lot of travel isn't a good fit for a parent who loves to be home with the wife and kids. All the money in the world isn't enough.

The recruiting experiance was a good one. When the right employer rings your bell you will have had experiance with the process.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
A job with a lot of travel isn't a good fit for a parent who loves to be home with the wife and kids. All the money in the world isn't enough.

The recruiting experiance was a good one. When the right employer rings your bell you will have had experiance with the process.
What she said.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Well the nice thing is they (my current employer) have taken a lot of what I said to heart. They demoted the lead (yay!) and have us all reported directly to program managers, and I got to pick my favorite - she thinks I walk on water and who am I to disagree? - so things should be better. They've also made noises about getting me a raise (blah, blah, blah) but hopefully at least next year's review will be o.k.

We will see, for now I consider it a clean slate. A good change has happened, and I want to give management a chance. Funny thing - on my flight back from D.C. on Thursday I sat next to one of the Directors and he taught me how to do Soduku (sp?) and we spent the rest of the flight cranking on his books and books of them. I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Funny thing - on my flight back from D.C. on Thursday I sat next to one of the Directors and he taught me how to do Soduku (sp?) and we spent the rest of the flight cranking on his books and books of them. I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.
Now you can really suck up leverage that "common interest" with Scientific American's article on programming the puzzles and the solution methods... the June "Science of Sudoku" article (it's subscription-only online).

Old 10-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.
Being liked where you work and a short commute--priceless.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote