Join Early Retirement Today

O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen
Old 09-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen

I know I said I'd be too busy, but something happened and I want the collective wisdom of the board in on this. Booze Allen Hamilton came calling saying they were very interested in discussing a position with me, and it's definitely right up my alley. Question is, anybody work for them? Are they a good company to work for? What is their coporate culture like? I see on line they make the list for "best companies to work for", but so do 99 other companies. I'm not itching to get out of my current job, but they say that's when you are in the best position to land a good job!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen
Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Probably not much help:

They had an office in the building I worked in. The folks I met seemed reasonably happy to be there.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suspect Booze Allen Hamilton is a lot like many companies.

There are great jobs there. There are also some just OK jobs there. And there are some lousy jobs there.

It just depends on who you end up working with amd for and what your daily grind job turns out to be.

You'll never really know though, what it's really ike until you've been there 6 months or so.

Should you keep what you have or go for what's behind door number 3 ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had several encounters with them. They are considered to be a premier consulting/contract engineering firm.....not sure about other fields. Typically they get a small contract for one engineer to work on one problem. Once they get in, they make themselves invaluable and stick around until the money runs out....Perfect gig for semi- or post-retirement.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Booze Allen Hamilton came calling saying they were very interested in discussing a position with me, and it's definitely right up my alley.* Question is, anybody work for them?* Are they a good company to work for?* What is their coporate culture like?
They're one of Hawaii's biggest military contractors, and although people seem to be working too hard it's rarely because their contracts are administered by Booz-Allen.

But unless you're thinking of twisting their arm negotiating for a Hawaii job you probably don't need to care what their people are like out here. *Check your PMs for a referral to a guy in your time zone neighborhood.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #6

Laurence, I would say spend the $30 for a vault.com membership. It's money well spent.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
I suspect Booze Allen Hamilton is a lot like many companies.

There are great jobs there. There are also some just OK jobs there. And there are some lousy jobs there.

It just depends on who you end up working with amd for and what your daily grind job turns out to be.
I'd say this is probably the case. I'm working in DC in 'management consulting'. Almost everyone in my office right now at one time worked for them. Two of my co workers came from them. It seems in this industry in this city, everyone moves around every few years. I envision that Booz Allen works hard and long hours. That's why people move (and also to progress their salary). From these two co-workers, I hear they work very hard and long hours and are always 'on call'...

The one even said thats why he loves the job he's at now. It's so easy. He comes in at 9 leaves at 5 or so... I don't know where he works, because the job I have is always on call, very long hard hours... but hey, we work at the same company, so it depends on what position you have there...

I do know they have very good education programs, for training. Though that may be only useful for non senior level positions.
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Laurence, I would say spend the $30 for a vault.com membership. It's money well spent.
Thanks for the site, Buns! I have a little research to do as well.

Laurence - Good luck with your new prospect.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My son moved to Booz recently and is very happy with the work and the firm. He says they have a good orientation to employees spending a career with the firm. They are amenable to job shifts and they will help an employee who is feeling burned out to get a job elsewhere and will welcome that person back years later if the former employee concludes he or she liked it better at Booz (I assume that only applies to employees perceived as "good"). DS works hard but does not find the demands to be "crazy." When discussing that with me, he noted that he is in an in-house staff position and the demands on consultants may lean more to the "crazy" side of the equation. I was curious about the working conditions because I had worked with several (generally bright) Booz consultants over the years and assumed that the work levels were pretty consuming -- but I never asked any of them.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, I just got a second call today, this time from something like half a dozen techs who immediately began grilling me....was this an purposeful ambush? I was not stumped by any of the questions, in fact I think I held up quite well (wish I could have remembered a few more technical buzz words, but I was clear on the concepts). Is this standard practice to jump on you with an unscheduled technical interview?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmm, I just got a second call today, this time from something like half a dozen techs who immediately began grilling me....was this an purposeful ambush? I was not stumped by any of the questions, in fact I think I held up quite well (wish I could have remembered a few more technical buzz words, but I was clear on the concepts). Is this standard practice to jump on you with an unscheduled technical interview?
Don't ya love the technical grilling? Especially with questions that are not germaine to the position at hand. I swear this type of grilling smacks of men trying to one up each other's size of their pee-pees instead of focusing on the best candidate. Anyway, that's observation from a female perspective.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

They asked me what my home network was like! What is that? My home network is pathetic, cable modem, 8 port switch, 2 nodes (one dual boot) and a docking station. They were curious why I wasn't wireless (don't trust the security yet). Then they asked me the difference between a switch and a hub. WTF? Am I applying for a beginner tech job? Then they switched to crazy off the wall questions, then changed track again to questions that weren't about knowledge or aptitude but strictly experience (what's screen #2 on utility x). What threw me was the cross-examine nature of the interview. At the end I expected "thank you, you may step down.". :P
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Then they asked me the difference between a switch and a hub. WTF?
Oh sh%t, I just spit out my water on my keyboard.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
- They asked me what my home network was like!* What is that?*
- Then they asked me the difference between a switch and a hub. WTF?
- Then they switched to crazy off the wall questions, then changed track again to questions that weren't about knowledge or aptitude but strictly experience (what's screen #2 on utility x).*
- What threw me was the cross-examine nature of the interview.
By any chance would you be expected to work with these bozos?

Or even worse, for them?

Did they design this alleged "interview" process to make you love your current job even more, or to intensify your desire to get a graduate degree?

If you were in the Navy you'd be a submarine O-4 department head. And you'd be not only working with and for guys like these, but you'd be asking these questions of other "normal" geeks nukes in an attempt to qualify more of them...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They asked me what my home network was like! What is that? My home network is pathetic, cable modem, 8 port switch, 2 nodes (one dual boot) and a docking station. They were curious why I wasn't wireless (don't trust the security yet). Then they asked me the difference between a switch and a hub. WTF? Am I applying for a beginner tech job? Then they switched to crazy off the wall questions, then changed track again to questions that weren't about knowledge or aptitude but strictly experience (what's screen #2 on utility x). What threw me was the cross-examine nature of the interview. At the end I expected "thank you, you may step down.". :P
At least now you can justify jacking up your price on those sh**birds.

Next time they call, grill them about their 401(k). A couple of years ago my wife interviewed with them in NOVA. IIRC Booz's 401(k) is a rather mediocre one through CitiStreet.

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Fcuk, I had a whole long response and I screwed it up somehow.

L-man, you got hit with standard consulting company interview practice. They don't know any better, just like frat boys.

Be aware that any consulting position is likely to involve long hours and significant travel, regardless of what they tell you.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

They'll have to knock my socks off with the $$$ to make it happen. I complained to my current management about what's wrong and they've already started taking steps, so I feel a little better. Plus, the classwork is really raising my spirits, my atitude is a lot more positive right now. Exception handling and GUI interfaces, fun! Setters and getters, more fun!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

I studied computer engineering in college... I understand those words... haha.

So you've "complained" to management about what's wrong? Or you did it in a nicer way?

What position are you looking for at Booz Allen? Development? Or more management?

If it means anything, I "think" that you need a lot of "extra" "other" work move up in the ladder there.
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

O.K., so I guess the technical interview went well because they want to meet me. I reiterated that they'll have to make a significant offer above my current salary (and I told them best case scenario + rounded up when I ballparked current salary) and they basically said if the interview goes well they have all the room they need on that number. Interesting. I think I enjoy bargaining from a position of strength (not needing to leave, job's o.k., etc.). If nothing else this is good experience!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In some circumstances, greed is good...