Join Early Retirement Today

Offered a "free" MBA
Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Offered a "free" MBA

I put applications to some MBA programs and the first decision just came back...a well-known private university in Texas offered me full tuition for 2 years. It's a decent program but is second-tier, not a top 20, and not much of a national reputation outside of the south. On the other hand, being able to graduate without any debt is attractive, and I'm not interested in the types of super-high-comp jobs (think I-banking and mgt. consulting) that traditionally recruit from the Ivies.

Worth considering?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Offered a "free" MBA
Old 12-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess you have to ask yourself what your ultimate aim is and whether a free ride at this school would be a help or a hindrance in getting there. If you take the "free" ride, you will still be out two years worth of earnings, so you had better get some return on this investment.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the previous poster.... lost income is a cost...

But, if you plan on going full time anyhow, that is a wash....

SO, how much would it cost at the University of your choice How much difference would you think it would make on a resume salary wise??

Unless you are from one of the Ivys, most MBAs are about the same from what I can tell... unless you go to Phoenix online... so take the free education and start your career without much debt... I assume you will have to pay for housing and meals...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Why would he do it unless the payoff was bigger? I would think an MBA would give you at least $20,000-$30,000 more than bachelors to be worth it...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I was faced with a similar choice ten years ago - Ivy league top 10 MBA program, or top 20 regional with full tuition paid. I opted for higher ranked school because breakeven was shorter, even though I was paying my own tuition. Average starting salaries were just that much higher coming out. After the fact, this turned out to be a great decision - my summer job paid all of one years tuition, and my signing bonus from my full time job after getting out paid the second - these opportunities would not have been available at the regional school. I was interested in the investment banking/ consulting gig (did one for summer, the other after graduation) so it worked well for me. YMMV.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #6

Just found out that I was accepted to another MBA program...no word on if there will be any scholarship money, but now I wonder if I should apply to some higher-ranked schools before the application deadlines. When I started out, my goal was to stay in Texas after the MBA, but now I think that I may someday want to go back to the east coast.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Just found out that I was accepted to UT Austin's MBA program...no word on if there will be any scholarship money, but now I wonder if I should apply to some higher-ranked schools before the application deadlines. When I started out, my goal was to stay in Texas after the MBA, but now I think that I may someday want to go back to the east coast. Is UT too regional?
Apply to some other schools. Cost you very little and will give you options. If you want to do part time, you can go to NYU and still be at a top 10 program.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just found out that I was accepted to UT Austin's MBA program...no word on if there will be any scholarship money, but now I wonder if I should apply to some higher-ranked schools before the application deadlines. When I started out, my goal was to stay in Texas after the MBA, but now I think that I may someday want to go back to the east coast. Is UT too regional?
Not that it should influence your decision, but I want to be sure you are aware that the McCombs School of Business at UT is named for Billy Joe "Red" McCombs, who started his business career as the youngest Edsel dealer in the US (age 25).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope....
Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #10

Soup, if this is your first master's degree, then by all means, go for a gold-plated one. If you think two years is too long what with your background in accounting, you can think about places like INSEAD or IMD which offer one-year MBAs that are perfectly suited to people who already have business undergraduate degrees.

BTW, I know coming from me, this advice is weird, but I have already had my gold plating at a top engineering school, and I can say without reservation that it was a worthwhile experience. However, my aim now is quite different. I just want to learn some business skills and use it to run my own show in a few years. If I were 7 years younger and didn't have a master's already, then I'd take the traditional route.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did this a few years ago at UNC-CH (not a top 10 school, but usually in the top 20 depending on the poll). It cost me about $50k when it was all said and done.

Besides the tuition, the other costs you should consider are:
1. Daytime or Executive (night/weekend)? The impact to your personal life is huge if you go nights and weekends (I speak from experience), but you can keep your job and current earnings.
2. Going nights/weekends will decrease the amount of energy you can put into your normal job -- so don't expect to get big promotions or take on new tasks during your time in school.
3. If you get an EMBA, you will likely not the get the initial earnings boost straight out of school (due to lack of recruiting for embas).
4. Enjoyment/Personal Satisfaction -- I got a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction from my program. Even if I never make up the tuition in increased wages.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
As a fellow Texan I think that any degree from UT or TAMU sells well within the state. In my limited experience (no MBA but lots of middle mgmt exposure), there is a "premium pay" for only the big name schools -- Harvard, Northwestern, etc. Companies also treat these grads with a bit of reverence which undoubtedly gets them opportunities mere mortals would not get. A UT MBA is better than a nightschool MBA from UH which, in my experience, gets no notice at all.

Would you learn more at Harvard? Maybe, maybe not. I've worked around a lot of MBAs that don't understand supply and demand or basic human nature. I still get a chuckle out of the expensive "branding campaign" my former company went through to improve the image of our commodity chemical business. I lost my job when are continuing losses forced a sale.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Five years ago- before I started law school, I would have told you that school was the greatest investment you could make and you should get the best education you could afford because in the end it would come back to you.

Today I have changed my story. Mostly because of the lifestyle choices I made since starting school. I made the decision to go to the Tier 1 school and am paying for it (not in any sort of figurative way- I just mean I came out with 100K in student loans). I recieved a great education and could have probably worked anywhere I wanted. But at the same time my goals changed. I am much more interested in spending time with my family and money is no longer the motivating factor in my life. I could have gotten nearly any job I was considering if I decided to go to the lower tiered school and come out with a fifth of the debt. Now I have all that debt and a fancier plaque and I sort of wish I didnt go to the school I did.

Most of this might change for you. If you really want to get to a high earning power as your way to FIREing it might make sense for you. My goal for FIREing is to live well below my means and ride my bike to w*rk so my wife can stay home, volunteer, hang out with her friends and oh yeah, make some mean brown bag lunches for me and we can live a very calm life. Im not saying one way is better than the other but its a matter of choice.

As for me- looking back I would have chosen the cheaper school. Most people dont have any degree and your earning power will increase regardless. But Im not sure it all depends on money.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Deetso's story shows that it's not the MBA, it's how you use it, that makes the difference. There are certainly some spheres in which the Tier 1 MBA is key. They include finance.

I am a physician and I have an EMBA from an AACSB accredited school that was ranked #2 several years ago. I took a year off work to do it. A colleague of mine has a two year MBA from a Tier 1 school. He worked through the course. His tuition was about 4 times mine. We have used our new skills in different ways but I would say we have had equally interesting opportunities as a result. He has to work harder than I do to pay off the tuition debt!

I can't speak of his job satisfaction; but mine has increased enormously. If you are in healthcare, you already have a professional designation. An MBA will open doors, but a Tier 1 MBA is not something that will make or break your career.

Do what feels right for you!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
But at the same time my goals changed. I am much more interested in spending time with my family and money is no longer the motivating factor in my life.
I think the biggest surprise of my life was how quickly family can become the top priority and derail one's career intentions. I never ever saw that one coming.

Unfortunately the impact doesn't really hit home, so to speak, until the cute little one you're holding with such awe and love looks sweetly into your eyes and throws up all over you.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Unfortunately the impact doesn't really hit home, so to speak, until the cute little one you're holding with such awe and love looks sweetly into your eyes and throws up all over you.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
As a fellow Texan I think that any degree from UT or TAMU sells well within the state. In my limited experience (no MBA but lots of middle mgmt exposure), there is a "premium pay" for only the big name schools -- Harvard, Northwestern, etc. Companies also treat these grads with a bit of reverence which undoubtedly gets them opportunities mere mortals would not get. A UT MBA is better than a nightschool MBA from UH which, in my experience, gets no notice at all.

Would you learn more at Harvard? Maybe, maybe not. I've worked around a lot of MBAs that don't understand supply and demand or basic human nature. I still get a chuckle out of the expensive "branding campaign" my former company went through to improve the image of our commodity chemical business. I lost my job when are continuing losses forced a sale.
Funny, but I must have missed that "Got TNT" ad campaign!
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think its would still carry some weight to have options even if you choose to not shoot for the king of the hill j.o.b. spots