Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

A few months ago a huge project I was working on finished and I was "unassigned". This meant that for 3 weeks I had no boss, no assignment, just had to put in the 8 hours a day face time. It was fascinating because even that level of "work" I wouldn't want to do for the rest of my life. It really drove home that the thing I don't like about working is that I HAVE to do it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell View Post
A few months ago a huge project I was working on finished and I was "unassigned". This meant that for 3 weeks I had no boss, no assignment, just had to put in the 8 hours a day face time. It was fascinating because even that level of "work" I wouldn't want to do for the rest of my life. It really drove home that the thing I don't like about working is that I HAVE to do it.
Ewwww - lots of surfing the ER board I imagine. Similar here - no customers, no reports = surfing online for vet information and hanging here. I prefer the busy days with customers and employers or even, (gasp) a report to do. Not that I don't like the ER folks........but I enjoy that which I was hired to do!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

DangerMouse, ditto.

Meetings, PowerPoints, Conference Calls, NetMeeting, and more meetings during which time we had to "think outside the box", "strategize", and "reach out to". Let's get together and have a "brain dump" so we can figure out what our "core competencies" are that will allow us to be "client centric" while still being on the "cutting edge" . At the end of the day we need to share "best practices" and "maximize leverage" so that we can experience a true "paradigm shift" and it will be a "win-win" for everyone.

Babble. Jeez!!!! I got so tired of listening to it.
TG
Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

There were three things that I didn't like about my workplace: in no particular order it was the fires, the flooding, and the suicides.

And now for a lighter side: Nordblog: Das Boot "Simulating submarine life at home".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, things were OK at my current gig, but I returned from vacation to find that a head dog requested a job description from everyone while I was away in the middle of a market crash. :confused:
That head dog is probably trying to have you guys help him figure out what to put in his own performance review. If they can't remember how you're making their money, then screw 'em.

You could tell them that if you hadn't gone away then the market wouldn't have crashed. But then they'd cancel all your vacation time.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I've got two problems with my current gig. Our customer points of contact are all just freakin' terrible to deal with, blamestorming incompetent liars who drive me crazy. My second problem is my coworkers consist of two groups, brilliant but overworked and totally incompetent and lazy. The latter group will never get fired because our company's stupid "lattice structure" makes nobody truly responsible for anybody, and you need 3-9 months of constant monthly "personal improvement plan reports" lodged with HR, weekly meetings with the employee, etc. etc. Nobody has the time to go through with it. My lead is trying to get someone canned right now, been trying for a year. He's not just useless, he's dangerous. Deletes files, makes unauthorized changes because he feels like it, it doesn't end. Hopefully I'm only in this gig for another 9 weeks, a position is opening up due to retirement back in my old department, it had it's flaws but is much, much better....
sounds like your HR is not doing their job? i've had GREAT advice and support from our HR and we outsource...none of which had to do w/ wasting our time on bad employees!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That head dog is probably trying to have you guys help him figure out what to put in his own performance review. If they can't remember how you're making their money, then screw 'em.
Not likely, since he is a part owner of the company. Nothing like being an owner and manager to give you job security.

Really have no idea why they chose to do this, but I know where the door is if that's the deal. Not like I'd be hurting for another place to land.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
sounds like your HR is not doing their job? i've had GREAT advice and support from our HR and we outsource...none of which had to do w/ wasting our time on bad employees!
Hey, I think you are right about HR. Rather, the architecture is flawed ( the local people are actually pretty good). It's just that the burden is put on the managers to do a ton of documentation and chances for improvement. I understand it's for liability reasons. The general council told me he deals with lawsuits from terminated employees on a monthly basis as it is. But the functional managers are also technical leads who are just too busy to fill out the endless forms.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I've got two problems with my current gig. Our customer points of contact are all just freakin' terrible to deal with, blamestorming incompetent liars who drive me crazy. My second problem is my coworkers consist of two groups, brilliant but overworked and totally incompetent and lazy. The latter group will never get fired because our company's stupid "lattice structure" makes nobody truly responsible for anybody, and you need 3-9 months of constant monthly "personal improvement plan reports" lodged with HR, weekly meetings with the employee, etc. etc. Nobody has the time to go through with it. My lead is trying to get someone canned right now, been trying for a year. He's not just useless, he's dangerous. Deletes files, makes unauthorized changes because he feels like it, it doesn't end. Hopefully I'm only in this gig for another 9 weeks, a position is opening up due to retirement back in my old department, it had it's flaws but is much, much better....
Man, that hurts just trying to imagine it.

Nords -

Suicides? Common thing in the Navy or what :confused:
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #29

So are conference calls considered the same as meetings or is one a lesser evil? Personally, I despise conference calls.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

The people who sit immediately around me and who I work with the most are the brilliant but overworked ones, so day by day it's pretty o.k., it's just every once in a while that it gets bad.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
So are conference calls considered the same as meetings or is one a lesser evil? Personally, I despise conference calls.
no conf. calls are better since you can put the phone on mute and snore...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
While at MegaCorp, I had to participate in regularly scheduled tele-conference calls between our U.S. and German offices. One of the German staffers apparently didn't realize that muting the phone did not also mute the picture -- so nearly every call we got to watch him nod off for his post-lunch nap. The funny thing was, the others in the room with him just ignored his snoring -- and we'd be cracking up!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #33

How about someone (an 80K+ salaried employee) sitting in the next cage cube yaking on the phone with personal calls ALL DAY LONG! Meanwhile, I'm blasting my ears with my iPod so I don't reach a boiling point missing my business calls (which may be a good thing...). It's on my list of things to do to mention this to her supervisor who works in another state. I may just request a new cage cube in another location.

Smells - yes, we have the battle of the stanky perfumes going on right now. not nice smelling perfumes, STANKY, like a cross between Ajax and RAID.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Yeah, it works until someone asks me a question, usually 30 minutes into the call. Homer Simpson "Doh!"
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I spent most of my years with the USAF in the basement of the HQ building (no windows) with the rest of the IT people.

Generals never came downstairs.
Bldg 500
Was stationed there from '89 - 91.
Once you get on it, you never get _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Nords -
Suicides? Common thing in the Navy or what :confused:
I sure hope not. All three killed themselves at Naval Submarine Training Center Pacific & USS LOS ANGELES over a two-year period. All were great sailors & leaders, multiple award winners, and two of them were personal friends. It nearly destroyed the morale in one division and the ripple effect changed a lot of lives. I certainly learned about human nature & suicide recognition (no such thing as prevention).

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #37

Gotcha. Sounded as if it was something that happened on those long sub missions.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
Bldg 500
Was stationed there from '89 - 91.
Once you get on it, you never get _ _ _ _ _ _
Bldg 262
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat View Post
Smells - yes, we have the battle of the stanky perfumes going on right now. not nice smelling perfumes, STANKY, like a cross between Ajax and RAID.
You might have to resort to something I inadvertantly did a few decades ago.
My mom sent me a whole box of homegrown garlic. Not wanting it to go bad,
I started eating it raw, eventually chowing down 4-5 heads per day, eating the
cloves like popcorn.. My poor, gagging coworkers finally told me the whole
area (about 10 offices) reeked of garlic and requested that I modify my diet.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
You might have to resort to something I inadvertantly did a few decades ago.
My mom sent me a whole box of homegrown garlic. Not wanting it to go bad,
I started eating it raw, eventually chowing down 4-5 heads per day, eating the
cloves like popcorn.. My poor, gagging coworkers finally told me the whole
area (about 10 offices) reeked of garlic and requested that I modify my diet.
yeeeow! reading this post made my eye water for some reason.