Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
citrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 944
I cannot stand the gossip, the two-faced ones, and the crazy attitudes.
There is no place for an afternoon siesta.
Grown women somehow forget how to pee in the toilet bowl and get it all over the seat.....and LEAVE IT THERE....totally nasty.
People who do not clean up after themselves in the coffee room....I hate to think of what their homes look like!
__________________

__________________
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
GoodSense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
- Co-worker's cell phone going off REALLY LOUD. When I politely suggested that I could show her how to set it on vibrate (she is 60 something and not good with technology), she glared at me and said she's waiting for an important call.

- Forced to listen to co-worker's calls to her ob-gyn (Too much information!) and to her vet about her cat's emotional distress and irregular bowel movement. (Forgot my headphones)

- Hear co-worker on the phone for at least 2 hours with poor Verizon Wireless rep trying to set up voicemail on her personal cell phone, which should take about 5 minutes

- Co-workers of the opposite sex and 40 years older cracking semi-sexual jokes and winking

- Boss gives me assignments but refuses to buy the software that allows me to work on the assignments. Stops by 2 days later and asks me how the assignments are coming along and stresses how important it is.

- Co-worker next door talking on the phone all day long about personal stuff. Unfortunately his life is extremely boring, and I get to hear the same boring story repeated a dozen times a day. Then he comes over to my cube at the end of the day and asks, "Wanna hear what bumper sticker I saw yesterday?" Thanks but no thanks.

I can go on...
__________________

__________________
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
I really like my job. But there are things in the office environment I really HATE.

morons who don't turn their cell phones to vibrate
cell phone conversations
hearing everybody's conversations
people in general
listening to neighbors eat at their desk and the smell
If I could work at home I would not retire
__________________
Texas2step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 595
I think when you break it down all the way. There are just two types of workers in the world. There are the ones like myself, that actually NEED to accomplish things to feel decent at work. I find that I only get upset at work when I am put into a situation where I cannot do a good job. Lack of funds, lack of tools, lack of time, etc. I think that people like myself view our work as a reflection of ourselves. And just as we have a high opinion of ourselves, we generally want others to have a high opinion of our work as well. These are the same people that feel a sense of accomplishment when something might have been difficult, but was completed successfully.
Then, there is the other group of workers. These are the folks that will actively do the crappiest jobs possible, as long as the paycheck still comes in. I have seen my boss spend all day in his office doing absolutely NOTHING for days at a time. And he is completely, blissfully happy to do so. These are also the people that worry 24/7 about not being blamed for something, rather than doing a good job. How many times have you heard a co-worker say "Well... it all pays the same"... when being asked to do some form of utter drugery. To be honest... these folks scare me....
__________________
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Eyerishgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 222
I have a love/hate relationship with my office. I love my job, love my commute, love my coworkers for the most part. But I HATE that I'm still working.

I should be on a beach in Hawaii right now!

Oh well.....soon enough.....soon enough.....
__________________
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
people in general
__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
- Co-worker's cell phone going off REALLY LOUD. When I politely suggested that I could show her how to set it on vibrate (she is 60 something and not good with technology), she glared at me and said she's waiting for an important call.

- Forced to listen to co-worker's calls to her ob-gyn (Too much information!) and to her vet about her cat's emotional distress and irregular bowel movement. (Forgot my headphones)

- Hear co-worker on the phone for at least 2 hours with poor Verizon Wireless rep trying to set up voicemail on her personal cell phone, which should take about 5 minutes

- Co-workers of the opposite sex and 40 years older cracking semi-sexual jokes and winking

- Boss gives me assignments but refuses to buy the software that allows me to work on the assignments. Stops by 2 days later and asks me how the assignments are coming along and stresses how important it is.

- Co-worker next door talking on the phone all day long about personal stuff. Unfortunately his life is extremely boring, and I get to hear the same boring story repeated a dozen times a day. Then he comes over to my cube at the end of the day and asks, "Wanna hear what bumper sticker I saw yesterday?" Thanks but no thanks.

I can go on...
My solution when I was still working - shooter's earmuffs. Really knock out the loudest noises, plus they throw a pretty strong hint - though not strong enough for the most obnoxious orifices.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
I think when you break it down all the way. There are just two types of workers in the world. There are the ones like myself, that actually NEED to accomplish things to feel decent at work. I find that I only get upset at work when I am put into a situation where I cannot do a good job. Lack of funds, lack of tools, lack of time, etc. I think that people like myself view our work as a reflection of ourselves. And just as we have a high opinion of ourselves, we generally want others to have a high opinion of our work as well. These are the same people that feel a sense of accomplishment when something might have been difficult, but was completed successfully.
Then, there is the other group of workers. These are the folks that will actively do the crappiest jobs possible, as long as the paycheck still comes in. I have seen my boss spend all day in his office doing absolutely NOTHING for days at a time. And he is completely, blissfully happy to do so. These are also the people that worry 24/7 about not being blamed for something, rather than doing a good job. How many times have you heard a co-worker say "Well... it all pays the same"... when being asked to do some form of utter drugery. To be honest... these folks scare me....
For many these are just the two phases of the same worker's career.

For the first 10-20 years you try to do a good job, suggest extra improvements,
do extra work, etc. Then you realize that much of the extra effort is not only not
rewarded, but penalized for 'rocking the boat'.

Then you slip into phase 2 - keep the paycheck coming in while not rocking the
boat. You still want to do a good job, but only good enough not to get yelled
at. All pride in your work has been leached out of you. Start serious RE planning.
Management reaps what they sow.
__________________
learn, work, save, invest, fire
CyclingInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Gotcha. Sounded as if it was something that happened on those long sub missions.
Well, that's another research project that the Department of Defense will never share with the public.

But I think it's actually the shore duty that allows the problems to come to the fore. When we're on sea duty we're focused on getting things ready, getting underway, and getting on with the mission. Personal & family issues take a back seat, get solved without us, or just fester.

When sea duty turns to shore duty, though, it's kinda hard to ignore the crew's personality conflicts, the family divorce proceedings, the child-custody legal battles, the spouse infidelity, the baby's paternity test that doesn't match the husband... Sometimes the best leaders & performers are the least likely ones to admit that they're out of their depth and need some help.

One of the guys who committed suicide, a Navy diver, had been his salvage ship's Sailor of the Year. An E-6, he'd been awarded a Navy Commendation Medal. He'd just finished a psychological screening that cleared him for teaching submarine SCUBA diving-- a high-risk and very intensely physical/mental course that gets a lot of attention to make sure the instructors are "good people". When I last spoke to him he was happy to be on shore duty, ready to start teaching, and looking forward to the holiday weekend with his wife & young kids.

18 hours later he'd executed his wife, shot her boyfriend into a quadriplegic, and killed himself.

You can imagine the trauma to the families and the publicity. Signs of their marital problems were all over the housing neighborhood and the older son's elementary school. It had been simmering for nearly two years (the back half of his sea duty). Survivor benefits were a nasty issue. SECNAV sent an officer to the diver's funeral service with specific orders to ensure that no military courtesies or honors were rendered. Lawsuits & custody disputes are still unresolved nearly a decade later...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
There were three things that I didn't like about my workplace: in no particular order it was the fires, the flooding, and the suicides.

And now for a lighter side: Nordblog: Das Boot "Simulating submarine life at home".
oh my goodness! i can't imagine anyone not coming out of that experience a little bonkers...

at first i thought it was your usual prolific/detailed writing that produced that list...as i was reading i was like, geez, nords sure is a detailed fellow (and a little nuts as a result of the time in the sub)...then i realized it was some compilation... haha
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Hey I forgot one more office personality I run into:

The "ass kisser" -- every office environment has one.
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
There certainly is! The thing that baffles me is how these ass kissers can't see themselves for what they are. At one point our office brown noser was my lead, and when he took my work and claimed it as his own for more "face time" with the bosses, I backed him into the corner and verbally tore him a new one without a single curse word. He was purple by the end of the "conversation" but never tried it with me again, and avoided me for some time. He is still pulling his old tricks, though, just with new victims. I don't know how he does it, he's not physically intimidating (5' 6", ~250lbs and wears polos 2 sizes too small), far from it. I think people just feel it's not worth the effort to stand up to him or call him on his antics. He has been removed from a lead role and will most likely never have that opportunity again, so I guess he can't cause too much damage anymore.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
The "ass kisser" -- every office environment has one.
wildcat, I know exactly where you're coming from and appreciate your posts. It is an honor to be part of the same forum and some day I hope to reach your level of professionalism and have the wonderful style you demonstrate on your posts.

Sorry, couldn't resist....forums have them as well
__________________
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I've got two problems with my current gig. ....
Hey, it sounds like we work at the same place!

I can related to the stratification... Hard Workers vs Hide and Do Nothings.


To everyone - Funny stuff!



Here is one you probably missed. Perhaps only managers can relate to this one...

Distort reality. Paint a nice pretty verbal picture to upper mgmt when everyone knows damn well that there are big problems. Some would call it a deception. Others would call it managing perception. The net result is that the underlying pain points persist and fester into big (ignored) problems.

I do not know if you have noticed... but the rosy picture guy is always rewarded, while the bearer of the bad new is usually sacrificed.
__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

One of the guys who committed suicide, a Navy diver, had been his salvage ship's Sailor of the Year. An E-6, he'd been awarded a Navy Commendation Medal.
An acquaintance from my home neck-of-the-woods was killed in action 12/68. Of course over the years I followed news stories about awards ceremonies. Years later I looked his name up on the internet, and was very surprised to discover for the first time that it was friendly fire. I doubt very much that COD was suicide but was surprised again to learn that suicide is a sub-category of friendly fire. Seems like unfortunate terminology since civilians might view friendly fire as the fault/mistake of our troops/buddies.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
he's not physically intimidating (5' 6", ~250lbs and wears polos 2 sizes too small),
Thanks for the IT geek visual. Does he wear floods with white socks too?
__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat View Post
Thanks for the IT geek visual. Does he wear floods with white socks too?
Actually, black deck shoes/rockports with white socks, and highwater slacks! But I've got plenty of good friends here in geekland that do the same. 8 more weeks....
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BunsGettingFirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
In 1998, while I was working for NASA, DW had surgery that involved a long recovery at home with much assistance needed. I got permission to telecommute for two months. Even with the time I spent helping her each day, I was WAY more productive than in the office. I didn't need to sit through long meetings, I only responded to urgent calls or emails and I was not interrupted by folks stopping by the cubicle to chat. While I was glad when she no longer needed me at home, I hated going back into the office environment.

Grumpy
What's all the obsession with productivity? What's the use of productivity if you're not in the office trumpeting your own horns and building your brand image as upper-management material?
__________________
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
What's all the obsession with productivity? What's the use of productivity if you're not in the office trumpeting your own horns and building your brand image as upper-management material?
High productivity = lots of free time, when managed properly.As a programmer
I was often given assignments covering a month that I could do in a day or less.
Write the program / find the bug / whatever the first day, then relax the rest of
the month doling out the results. Of course, this attitude came about after many
years of management grinding out all sense of 'fair play' by attempting to get
free overtime, etc.
__________________
learn, work, save, invest, fire
CyclingInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
High productivity = lots of free time, when managed properly.As a programmer
I was often given assignments covering a month that I could do in a day or less.
Write the program / find the bug / whatever the first day, then relax the rest of
the month doling out the results. Of course, this attitude came about after many
years of management grinding out all sense of 'fair play' by attempting to get
free overtime, etc.
That is exactly my situation now. It is a great place to be if you don't mind going to the office everyday, which I do.

2
__________________

__________________
Texas2step is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Office 2007 Spanky Other topics 20 01-20-2007 12:48 PM
The Fidel Castro of Office Furniture... REWahoo Other topics 12 03-11-2006 10:54 AM
I am watching 'The Office' as I type this............. Cut-Throat Life after FIRE 11 10-11-2005 10:55 PM
OFFICE 'POT LUCKS' Ginger Life after FIRE 8 09-01-2005 05:31 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.