Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Yes, I use the "import ext data from existing connections". Some sort of wizard takes you to MSN Money Central, you input your stock ticker(s) and/or indices. You can set it up to update every few minutes or when you hit the update button.

I've been using it for a few years (every day) and have had no problems with updates, frequency or links. I have about 20 or so stocks I track.

I input the ticker price and from there I can use that info anyway I want.
=C14 (stock price) X 1234 (shares) or whatever.
Can you elaborate more how you do it? I'd like instructions like for a rookie. I've experienced the same issues like Midpack, so I gave up and do it manually once or twice a year. I do a manual M* portfolio once a year, just to get AA.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Search for:

Gummy Yahoo Excel

You'll find a few spreadsheets already set up. And there are many others out there.

I've used Google spreadsheets for this purpose. I find it is easier to set up initially. But you'll get better performance if you use Excel. Also, more people have solved what you want to do. So it is relatively easy to find a free spreadsheet that already does what you need.

Found a link with several samples from Gummy.

http://amourtan.com/2011/06/download...l-spreadsheet/
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

"Personal Capital" Google search.

For instance: From InvestorJunkie.

Quote:
As I’ve discussed in my Mint.com review, I think Mint is great for budgeting, but poor when used for investment planning. It appears Mint is targeting people just starting out with their finances (Generation Y and Z). As I mentioned, I wished for a web 2.0 app that focused more on investing: retirement, asset allocation, and taxes. I recently discovered Personal Capital, and it appears to have answered most of my wishes.
or: CashMoneyLife

Quote:
My Verdict – Coolest Investment Tool on the Market

I’m a self-admitted financial geek. I read and write about personal finance on a daily basis, and I try out as many tools as I can. I my opinion, this is the biggest game changer in the financial industry since Mint.com launched. And that is high praise. As I mentioned earlier, this is a tool I am comfortable recommending to family and friends, and I think it can change how many people manage their investments. I’m all-in on Personal Capital.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used Yahoo for a number of years for most of my financial info. A few years back their updates became unreliable. I was forced to switch to Google finance. Maybe it is time to go back to Yahoo or perhaps M*?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #25

I like the SMF (Stock Market Function) add-in for Excel available at

smf_addin : EXCEL Stock Market Functions Add-in

It might not be the easiest thing to install and implement, but if you have an aptitude for using the more complex Excel functions it can add quite a bit of functionality to your spreadsheets. Automatic price updates in addition to downloading a lot of other data on your investments.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #26

I use Excel with my Yahoo "portfolio" downloaded every two minutes to track all the prices. They have changed about once a year or so, but so far I've been able to hancle the reformats. I also have to enter my Yahoo password every few weeks. Could be more convenient, but worth it so far.

To download a web page into Excel 2007 (first one with the stupid "ribbon bar" I think):
Select the Excel cell that will be the top left corner of the download.
Use the "Data" ribbon to select "from Web". This pops up a dialog box that acts as a web browser. Navigate to the web page you want to download.
Each web page displayed in the dialog box will have little yellow boxes that you can click (one or many) to indicate content you want to download. Typically a portfolio will be a single table that you can download as a single item.
Click the "Import" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
A new box pops up, allowing you to specify a different location, or click on "Properties" to change to update rate or download formatting. Click "OK" when done.
Your downloaded info should now show in your spreadsheet.
You can select the same Excel cell used for the download, use the "Connections" section on the "Data" ribbon to update your data or change it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #27

I forgot to add, I also copy my portfolio into my spreadsheet from Quicken. Open a "Portfolio Value" report in Quicken. I subtotal by account for a little additional information. Click on the "Export" button at the top of the report. Select "Copy report to Clipboard" and paste it into your spreadsheet. That adds all your portfolio info to the spreadsheet in one easy step. With the automatic price updates, you only need to update your portfolio info when you make a change to it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I used the web import feature of Excel for a while.

I switched over to this method. Login to Vanguard (most outside investments are linked and included). Copy entire overview page. Paste special (text) to excel. Run macro to parse data and transfer to my asset allocation sheet.

I just keep monthly totals.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anyone know where to find 'quotes' for TSP funds so they can be included in this?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I like the SMF (Stock Market Function) add-in for Excel available at

smf_addin : EXCEL Stock Market Functions Add-in

It might not be the easiest thing to install and implement, but if you have an aptitude for using the more complex Excel functions it can add quite a bit of functionality to your spreadsheets. Automatic price updates in addition to downloading a lot of other data on your investments.
Is it compatible with open office?
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #31

I just went Apple. Any spreadsheets for stock and fund portfolio monitoring?