Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Panama, Honduras, Vietnam, Argentina, Thailand? Where to retire?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread really has me thinking.* In my early future years of ER, I really want to travel abroad.

My first thoughts are about safety.* Being female is one thing, but I am gay and have a partner.

It's not like we hold hand while having sex in public ( only because we've been together for 18 years* ), but I guess before traveling to different cultures I should do some research.* It would really suck to plan and save for early retirement only to be burned at the stake a few months into the reward phase.

Not that being gay alone puts people at risk.* I keep hearing that chewing gum in some cultures can have some dire consequences.

-helen

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
This thread really has me thinking. In my early future years of ER, I really want to travel abroad.

My first thoughts are about safety. Being female is one thing, but I am gay and have a partner.

It's not like we hold hand while having sex in public ( only because we've been together for 18 years ), but I guess before traveling to different cultures I should do some research. It would really suck to plan and save for early retirement only to be burned at the stake a few months into the reward phase.

Not that being gay alone puts people at risk. I keep hearing that chewing gum in some cultures can have some dire consequences.

-helen
Helen, are you acquainted with the writing of Florence King? She is a conservative Lesbian novelist/essayist who writes regularly for the National Review. She has been one of my favorite writers since I first found her work in the 70s. She tackles the situation you are writing about in a beautiful but painful book called "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady." She gets into hot water, right here in the good old USA, in fact at Ole Miss where she was a graduate assistant. This was a while ago, but I imagine many places in the world today are less tolerant than Oxford MS was 30 years ago.

Ha

Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

As a gay person you do have to be careful. There are some areas of the world that are great for homosexuals, such as Ibiza, Spain. But that is more of a young gay man, or a straight young party animal type of place. You should look into the laws of the coutry and also the social acceptance. Keep in mind that in America for example, it is easy being gay in NYC, San Fran, and many other places but not so easy in parts of the mid-west and the south. Good luck, as you have two strikes against you. The gay thing and the woman thing. But then again, at least you don't have to deal with having a husband. I would imagine that hippy type of communities might be a good start, there are many all over the world.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
4) Thailand and Vietnam, safety?* Is Thailand already expensive and is Vietnam a good alternative?
NYlady,

I'm Vietnamese by birth, so my opinion might be biased.* I think VN is safe, just as safe as in the US.* The Vietnamese are friendly, and hospitable.* The cost of living is very reasonable.* For $200,000, you won't have a problem finding a nice beach house in numerous cities on the coast.* Half of VN's perimeter is on water.

A few cons:
1)* Outside of the tourists' areas, very few people speak english.* It helps to learn basic Vietnamese, or French, or Chinese.
2)* Political discussion is a no-no.* Keep your opinion to yourself.
3)* VN is developing, but is still very poor.* So petty crimes do exist.* Serious crime is rare.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Vietnam sounds interesting. I love the food, especially the sandwiches. Love the people, the ones I know who came to America are all very nice. Are there still hard feelings over there about the war? As you stated I wouldn't speak politics but is there still an unspoken resentment? thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I were Vietnamese, I'd have more hard feelings over the "blood debt" paid to the victorious commies and its countless dead, rather than the Americans, but that's just me.

(And I still would avoid talking politics in Vietnam!)
Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Are there still hard feelings over there about the war?* As you stated I wouldn't speak politics but is there still an unspoken resentment?* thanks for your thoughts.
1)* Hard feelings about the war:* This is a complicated question.* But the overall answer is no.* I believe that most people in VN understand the difference between Americans and the US foreign policy.* I have never seen or even heard of an American citizen being discriminated because of the interference of the US in the Vietnam war.* But a bad behaving, loud, and showy person (American or not) will not receive any respect.

2)* Political discussion:* My apology for not being clear.* What I meant is to avoid discussing Vietnamese politics.* That is don't make any comment on how the CURRENT GOVERMENT is running the country.* They don't take criticism (however construtive) well.* No surprise, right?

Old 04-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

2)* Political discussion:* My apology for not being clear.* What I meant is to avoid discussing Vietnamese politics.* That is don't make any comment on how the CURRENT GOVERMENT is running the country.* They don't take criticism (however construtive) well.* No surprise, right?
No different than our current leadership .
Old 04-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #69

Well I seem to hear "Bush is a Nazi" a lot more frequently than "Nong Duc Manh is a Nazi"...

Not that either is constructive...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #70

Also, shouldn't we have had a few "Vietnamese Dong" jokes by now?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #71

Cool Dood,

Sounds like you're quite familiar VN. Where and how did you learn about VN? Just curious.

Sam
Old 04-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Helen, are you acquainted with the writing of Florence King? She is a conservative Lesbian novelist/essayist who writes regularly for the National Review. She has been one of my favorite writers since I first found her work in the 70s. She tackles the situation you are writing about in a beautiful but painful book called "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady." She gets into hot water, right here in the good old USA, in fact at Ole Miss where she was a graduate assistant. This was a while ago, but I imagine many places in the world today are less tolerant than Oxford MS was 30 years ago.

Ha
No, but thank you, I will check out her books.

Quote:
As a gay person you do have to be careful. There are some areas of the world that are great for homosexuals, such as Ibiza, Spain. But that is more of a young gay man, or a straight young party animal type of place. You should look into the laws of the coutry and also the social acceptance. Keep in mind that in America for example, it is easy being gay in NYC, San Fran, and many other places but not so easy in parts of the mid-west and the south. Good luck, as you have two strikes against you. The gay thing and the woman thing. But then again, at least you don't have to deal with having a husband. I would imagine that hippy type of communities might be a good start, there are many all over the world.
Thank you for your input.* I'm really glad for this thread.* I've grown so comfortable with being gay that I hadn't really thought about the implications of traveling abroad with my partner.

Quote:
But then again, at least you don't have to deal with having a husband.
Actually the real benefit is not having inlaws !

-helen
Old 04-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #73

Sam, it's all public information

But seriously, I'm not all that familiar with it, I've just read a litte bit about it and that's it. It sounds like a really interesting and beautiful country, but I hardly know anything about it.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
No different than our current leadership .
Or the prior leadership. Or the ones before that. Or the ones before that........
Old 04-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
But seriously, I'm not all that familiar with it, I've just read a litte bit about it and that's it. It sounds like a really interesting and beautiful country, but I hardly know anything about it.
That's quite humble of you, Cool Dood.* Most 24 years old don't even know where VN is on the world map, let alone "Nong Duc Manh".

Sam
Old 04-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Vietnamese people were always very friendly to us, and were quite curious about life in America. Worse you're going to get as a Westerner is the standard taxi/airport scams, and maybe some petty theft.

It's truly a lovely country with great food, lovely countryside, and nice people.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #77

Helen, don't two women traveling together just seem like, well, two women traveling together? Discretion might advise avoiding public displays of affection and perhaps having 2 beds in hotel rooms and maybe even making sure they both look slept in. Plenty of female friends travel together.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
1)* Hard feelings about the war:* This is a complicated question.* But the overall answer is no.* I believe that most people in VN understand the difference between Americans and the US foreign policy.* I have never seen or even heard of an American citizen being discriminated because of the interference of the US in the Vietnam war.* But a bad behaving, loud, and showy person (American or not) will not receive any respect.

Sam, when people in Vietnam learn that an American had been anti-war, how do they react? Is there a difference between (former) North and South Vietnamese? I don't expect you to speak for all, of course--just your opinion and observations.

=alstro, familiar with the geography, overall history, and the cuisine (mmm) of Vietnam, but I didn't know the name of the President...or is it Prime Minister...or Premier...or Comrade in Chief? I think I better learn a few things before traveling there!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #79

astromeria,

Before 1975 all Vietnamese are daily brainwashed (in different degree) by the war machine.* Understandably,* the propaganda severity is much less in the South than the North.* I was only 13 years old when the American anti-war was in full scale (1970-1972).* We were told and believed that the whole thing was the result of the North Vietnamese vicious and effective propaganda.* We were told that those anti-war americans were ignorant, unpatriotics, and gullible.* It was until much later, 10 years or so, that I realized that some of those protesters simply didn't want to have their sons killed for reasons that were never clear to them.

Geography, and history, and cuisine are sufficient.* Add a little culture to it, and you're all set.* Forget the names of the big guys there.* The less you know about them, the better.* You won't have an* opportunity to comment on their policies, their backward thinking, and so on...

Sam
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #80

Quote:
have enough in mutual funds, bonds, a bit in ira, etc. to retire after making the 200k investment in a nice sunny location with a cheap cost of living. so it would be the million dollars in portfolio, the apt in nyc which i own straight out no mortgage and then the 200k place i will buy.
Damn, I should have gotten into investment banking a long time ago.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote