Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Panama, Honduras, Vietnam, Argentina, Thailand? Where to retire?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I think Thailand is a much more attractive option for young male retirees than female retirees.

I agree with the idea that you should strongly consider renting for a few years in a developing country before buying. You need time to learn the ins and outs of the country before making a huge investment like that. In many developing countries the ratio of rental cost to property value is far lower than in the US. You could probably rent a $200,000 home for about $500-$600 per month in many developing countries, where that would cost $1200 -$1500 per month to rent a similarly valued home in the US. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it has to do with the lack of a true middle class in some countries. Rich locals buy real estate and big houses as a way to park their money in something that can't be stolen from them overnight. But they have trouble renting them because the poor people don't have money to pay much rent.

I wonder why this is. Is it because the mortgage market is so thin that almost all houses are bought for with cash, so that there are very few transactions, so that it's hard to find out what the real price of house should be?

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread. I have bought in Thailand. It adds the advantage that it is giving one an automatic investment visa (1 year but automatic renewal as long as you own the property).

Being gay/lesbien/bi (I don't think I fit any of those groups myself though ) or whatever is perfectly acceptable in Thailand - in fact many successfull people (not just actors Etc.) are openly gay and nobody cares. - age long culture of acceptance of that.

I have also lived in Vietnam and liked it - but Thailand do seem to be more foreigner friendly, better shopping selection, a bit more English speakers, more used to foreigners all related to having been "open" much longer than Vietnam.

One can find property on the beach in Thailand for $200k but it will not be in the prime beach locations.

That does not matter much, as one will be very safe practically everywhere in Thailand. Being a man or a woman. I have travelled and lived in Asia/Africa/Europe/Caribbean for 15 years and Thailand is probably the place I feel the safest. Africa and Caribbean seemed much more threatening to me.

That said; just as you plan to, it makes good sense to come and rent and try out the different options. Yes renting might be only 5% or so of the buying price here, due to exactly the fact that people prefer to invest in "real" stuff, rather than bonds/stock/bank accounts.

Oh; as to the Thai ladies it sounds to me that you can compeed just fine!

Cheers!

Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for info. I think I will check out Thailand for a vacation sometime in the future. Argentina is higher on my list but busy until the end of the summer so won't get a chance until then. I am not homosexual, but would prefer to live somewhere gay and lesbian friendly so that is good to know about Thailand. Can't go on one vacation after another, so will probably be a year or so until I check out Thailand.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
Can't go on one vacation after another, so will probably be a year or so until I check out Thailand.
I thought you were FIRE'd?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... but would prefer to live somewhere gay and lesbian friendly so that is good to know about Thailand.
Boy, I'll say. Sometimes they're even more friendly than the heterosexuals!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
My first thoughts are about safety.* Being female is one thing, but I am gay and have a partner.

It's not like we hold hand while having sex in public ( only because we've been together for 18 years* ), but I guess before traveling to different cultures I should do some research.* It would really suck to plan and save for early retirement only to be burned at the stake a few months into the reward phase.

Not that being gay alone puts people at risk.* I keep hearing that chewing gum in some cultures can have some dire consequences.

-helen
Hellen, I doubt that you would have any problems in Thailand or most other "Budhist" countries in SE Asia. Most Budhists are non judgemental, live and let live types. SE Asians stay focused on themselves and mind their own business.

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I thought you were FIRE'd?
I am but my husband is a working man. he does not like me to travel alone
Old 05-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #88

Quote:
I am but my husband is a working man. he does not like me to travel alone
So you're a housewife

Or maybe you prefer sugar momma

(just kidding!)

The old ball-n-chain?!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am but my husband is a working man.* he does not like me to travel alone
This sounds like a Jack Benny routine.

"Hmmm... working... traveling with my wife... working... traveling with my wife... I'm thinking, I'm thinking!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

It would be fine if I travelled with my sister or close female friend, he wouldn't mind then, problem is to get them to come along with me to places that aren't typical island vacations.

the husband is a workaholic, and wants to get as much money in the bank as i have, before he retires.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Late to this thread but I'm suggesting western Panama.* The Pacific beaches of the Azuero peninsula are under-populated, and the perennial spring weather of the high country sounds appealing.* On the east side of the mountain is Boquete, a tourist/retiree boom town.* The west side has smaller towns that are more affordable.* There is a lot of low populated rural beachfront all around the Azuero peninsula.* Be aware that much of the beach property is for sale without titles, it is "right of possession" property.* A great place to rent or lease.* Probably flunks your boredom test.
See escapetopanama.net for titled land, landhunterpanama.com* for ROP land then read panamaretire.net for an second opinion.* Use fallingrain.com to map some of the locations.*
I haven't been to Panama yet, but my wife and I sure like walking on deserted beaches in Baja Mexico. It is so quiet and peaceful.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the husband is a workaholic, and wants to get as much money in the bank as i have, before he retires.*
He doesn't sound workaholic to me. Sounds only that he is not delusional.

Ha
Old 05-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

well, don't know about the not delusional part, just glad he is not a mooch. i don't have enough money to be anyone's sugar mama, though if i had the money i wouldn't mind, but he has more expensive tastes than i do
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

NYL, that is why he married you.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

well, i think that having a frugal spouse is probably one of the greatest factors for financial success. but it is a bit hard when you both aren't on the same page.