Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I like to see my net worth grow even in retirement. It's not for competitiveness, which I do not care about.

I am just a Scrooge who loves money. But it looks like I am going to learn to be content with it staying flat, and count my blessings. This market is not going to grow to the sky like Jack's beanstalk.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Isn't it one of the reasons we associate with other people - to get new ideas from them? We can't think up everything by ourselves, can we?

Depending on whom you've identified as a "peer," peers sometimes do cool things that you hadn't really thought about. Suddenly it's, "Hey, that looks cool, and if so-and-so can do it and everything works out, then maybe I could try it too."
I didn't say never try anything new. New things are great. I said do things because you want to do them, not because someone else did them.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Give me pictures of boats, cars, kids, vacations, fish caught, vegetable gardens producing abundantly...while I agree that bragging is not exactly the most sterling human behavior, I want to sustain the fantasy that life is good!
That would be most of my posts. I can put the perpetually positive ones in perspective because I tend to post happy events/observations even when life isn't perfect. One guy who posted a lot of brags about his two perfect offspring over the years just posted a link to a blog by his college-age daughter who's finally winning her victory over anorexia. So, in between shots of gourmet restaurant meals, interesting travels and pictures of their second home in FL, they had stuff they kept off FB, too.

To get back to the OP- it really does depend on how you want to spend your days. I used to fantasize about getting a Ph. D in something unmarketable after I retired but I started with a Geology class at the local community college. Fascinating stuff- something I wanted to learn, loved the class and my much-younger classmates, even got an A. Would I drop everything else and become a FT student? Heck, no. I have a garden, I travel with DH, I read for pleasure, I do volunteer work. Most of that would go out the window.

My other retirement fantasy was buying a house on a lake and getting a kayak. I did that.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ran into that envy years ago. My answer was that I was dissatisfied. I continued work, but started coursework to a degree in CS.

I retired in August. In September I started back to school. Economics is fascinating to me, so I jumped in, taking the macro and micro and a general art course. Had a blast but fulfilled my want for more, at least in those subjects. Music theory may jump in next, but that's another subject. (groan)

One professor mentioned several times that I was leading his ideal of the perfect life, taking what I want, when I want, not even having to care about grades. I have to agree. The trade off was that I had to meet a schedule. Right now, that would cut into what will be peak kayak time.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I retired in August. In September I started back to school. Economics is fascinating to me, so I jumped in, taking the macro and micro and a general art course. Had a blast but fulfilled my want for more, at least in those subjects. Music theory may jump in next, but that's another subject.

One professor mentioned several times that I was leading his ideal of the perfect life, taking what I want, when I want, not even having to care about grades. I have to agree. The trade off was that I had to meet a schedule. Right now, that would cut into what will be peak kayak time.
I plan to jump around and take different courses, too; we moved out of the county that had dirt-cheap senior rates at the community college and what I've found locally seems to be heavily business-focused (had plenty of that) but I'll look again when cold weather is on the horizon and there's less to do outdoors. I realized that even if I took the Geology interest further, I'd have to take Chemistry. I just can't get excited about Chemistry. I think I'll look for a course in ancient Greek instead.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Since some are revealing insecurities in this thread, this is exactly why I'm taking a mental health break from Facebook. I like the real humans I know, including myself, better than the Facebook Humans, whose posts are too often idealized, again including myself. I think I'll let my experiment run, oh, through about "early November". If I'm happier, I might even deactivate my account. And I ain't going near Twitter! That's like a loaded gun.
Yep. It wasn't facebook that got me, it was LinkedIn.

Taking a break from all of them.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I ran into that envy years ago. My answer was that I was dissatisfied. I continued work, but started coursework to a degree in CS.

I retired in August. In September I started back to school. Economics is fascinating to me, so I jumped in, taking the macro and micro and a general art course. Had a blast but fulfilled my want for more, at least in those subjects. Music theory may jump in next, but that's another subject. (groan)

I had fellow students in college who were doing this. They were a pain because they were so happy learning.

Anyway, I think I'm back on track and thank you everyone for the discussion. I think my plan is still in place for my retirement brain exercise.

What fascinates me is TAXES. I may be crazy, but I'm probably going to play around on my own with getting an EA certification. Just. For. Fun.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

FYI for the education is fun folks. Coursera and Khan Academy. Duolingo if you're into foreign languages. There are even apps for all that. See you in a few years when you're done exploring.

My problem is getting distracted or too busy to finish a course. I've only done one course to completion (Yale Financial Markets course taught by Robert Schiller - the Case-Schiller Index nobel laureate Schiller). Otherwise I've started a dozen courses and completed 1-50% before drifting away. Evolutionary biology, Thomas Jefferson, Malicious Software and its Underground Economy, Cryptography, Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity, various programming languages/systems (HTML, CSS, Python, Java, Android), Russian, German, French, Spanish, etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The OP wrote: "Peer's achievements casting doubt on my ER".

I think he needs new peers.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm chucklng because many of my friends have Nobel Prizes, but the thought never crossed my mind to be jealous nor envious of them.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm chucklng because many of my friends have Nobel Prizes, but the thought never crossed my mind to be jealous nor envious of them.
LOL! Wow! We are 1 degree away from Nobel winners?

Now I'm jealous of you!

NW-Bound: after OMY, I'm about to get a few.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The only thing that matters is to do what you want to do.

If you want to go to school and learn new tricks to do what that is, then do it.
+1

This is me - FIREd so I could do an MFA and write a novel. Now I'm about to start a PhD. I have no plans to do anything with it - I just enjoy the journey.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Now I'm about to start a PhD. I have no plans to do anything with it - I just enjoy the journey.
That's interesting to me since any advisor/university granting the degree worth their salt would be putting a lot of work into their graduate student, but would get nothing out of it. In other words, why accept a student for a PhD who is going to do nothing with it?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #34

Quote:
That's interesting to me since any advisor/university granting the degree worth their salt would be putting a lot of work into their graduate student, but would get nothing out of it. In other words, why accept a student for a PhD who is going to do nothing with it?
The flip side of the modern "students are customers" thinking on campuses? "What, my tuition money isn't as good as some 24 year-old's?". Of course, if scarce graduate fellowships are to be awarded to support the grad student, that's a little different.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yep. It wasn't facebook that got me, it was LinkedIn.

Taking a break from all of them.
LinkedIn? What happened, pray tell? I am only on that one so that head hunters can find me.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #36

I sometimes think about going back to school for another degree or doing a fellowship and going back to work, but then I take a nap until the urge passes.

I do take interesting classes though since going to school has always been my best skill.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Well, they get fees (I'm self funding because the funding options all have inconvenient conditions attached which would outweigh the financial cost) and they get free labour as all PhD students at this university have to teach a couple of hours a week.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found I enjoy just auditing classes of interest - because the idea of jumping through the hoops of assignments and tests just didn't appeal to me at all. Going to lectures and doing the reading is interesting, but I'm not going to waste any of my energy in proving that I've learned something to anyone. I'd considered an environmental law degree so that I would have the credentials to participate in the field, but just don't have the tolerance for wasting my effort in being evaluated. Maybe that's petty, but that's where I draw my line.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #39

Quote:
In other words, why accept a student for a PhD who is going to do nothing with it?

Given the number of Ph.Ds they grant in the liberal arts, where the only thing you can do is fight for the limited number of Adjunct Assistant positions open in academia, I doubt universities spend a lot of time worrying about that.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
LinkedIn? What happened, pray tell? I am only on that one so that head hunters can find me.
Just the bogus stuff people put up there. I should just laugh. You know, you read: "Drove project to completion" when you know the reality was "Drove project to ruins."