PeopleSoft/Oracle DBA to Financial Advisor

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I get a call today from a recruiter from a financial firm (think 60's blaring rock music in their commercials) who happened to come across my resume from a *big* internet job board. She said that my outstanding background would enable me to be a successful financial advisor. Granted, prior to crossing over into IT 8 years ago I was a hard core bean counter, but what the heck does my PeopleSoft/Oracle experience have to do with giving financial advice? I can advise Larry Ellison on how to have his folks QA code so I don't have to spend three hours futzing around with major releases. Too funny.

Has anyone else been solicited for a financial advisor position out of left field?

I had a BIL that was a Hollywood stunt double. One of the big brokerages (Dean Witter?? CRS) gobbled him up because, "he knew all about taking risks." What a crock!

I got a call from John Hancock when I was between jobs. Before the interview, I had to fill out a pre-interview questionaire, which involved lots of questions like would I be okay with selling high fee financial products to my friends and family. I almost puked. Luckily, "it was decided" that I would not be a good fit in the John Hancock family.

- Alec

Thanks for the lead-in Alec.

A long time ago I used to date a gal who worked for John Hancock during the day and was an...err..."exotic dancer" in the evenings.

Now THATS an interesting career connection.

In retrospect, it makes a great deal of sense.

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
A long time ago I used to date a gal who worked for John Hancock during the day and was an...err..."exotic dancer" in the evenings.
Hey, I bet she was only doing it for the TIPS...

Well, the way she put it (and remember this is the mid 80's), she took her clothes off three nights a week for a couple of hours in front of a bunch of lonely men, made 600-1000 a week, most of which she didnt have to pay taxes on. No drugs, prostitution or anything like that. Just a little moonlight job.

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
No prostitution or anything like that.  Just a little moonlight job.

I'm selling a big, beautiful bridge in San Francisco....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom