Perspective

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Its funny how one's perspective can shift. In the past few months I have relocated, taken a new job, and effectively started a new life. Before, I was constantly stressed for over a decade, dying to ER, and willing to take crazy risks to do it on a shoestring just to escape my misery. Now I am far less stressed and aggravated, I actually enjoy my job, and I am just enjoying life without too much care. I feel a bit like a new person, albeit with some residual and habits. I don't much care what the market does and i am no longer in a rush to fire. I worry a bit that it won't last and that I will revert to my nasty, grabbed existence, but so far, so good. I feel like I have learned how to be happy.

Am I fooling myself, or have I just finally managed to wade out of the swamp of misery?

You're not fooling yourself. Go ahead and enjoy it.

Brewer, sometimes a job and location change create an atmosphere where it just all comes together. It happened to me and it was truly a life-changing experience. Enjoy and don't worry about waking up and finding out you've been dreaming.

Am I fooling myself, or have I just finally managed to wade out of the swamp of misery?
Let's see: from Wall Street & NJ to one of the nicest cities in the Rockies.
From one of the most competitive, expensive, and over-the-top environments to a laid-back outdoors lifestyle.
From winter's mean, nasty, sleety, snowy, ice to just plain cold.
From summer's heat & humidity to more temperate dryness.
From high fashion to western wear.
From what appears to be a somewhat demanding & needy mother to two time zones of separation.
From Megacorp-style bureaucratic careerism to a small office where they can actually detect whether or not you're pulling your weight.
From incredibly high taxes to lower taxes.

From polluted air and traffic jams to... eh, never mind. Eight outta ten ain't bad.

I sincerely hope you've saved the outline for your book, and that you have the incriminating co-worker/boss photos backed up to a secure encrypted server. In just a few short years you're going to want to write the tell-all career bio of the century...

Ah, the book will never happen. I am a private person and the stuff I do professionally cannot even be subpoenaed as I understand it. Lets just call it a source of private amusement.

I have yet to experience a traffic jam. I take the train to work and nothing will match trying to get over the George Washington bridge at rush hour.

I am so very happy for you Brewer! It really is amazing to think that the changes in your work environment have made such an indelible impression on the rest of your life. It should give pause to anyone working their own hellhole that there is a way out, short of FIREing, and that it can be done.

And sometimes just knowing you don't have to be there (because of your financial milestones reached) can make a borderline job more bearable, but it can make a good job positively joyous.

Kudos to you for making the leap and having the wisdom to appreciate your current position.

For me, the first couple of years on a job were always great. Then the "new penny" feeling wears off and it gets, er, harder to bear.

Still, that probably isn't true for everyone. I am truly happy to hear that things are working out so well for you in Colorado, Brewer.

For me, the first couple of years on a job were always great. Then the "new penny" feeling wears off and it gets, er, harder to bear.

Same for me.

But I hope that your bliss, Brewer, will truly be long lasting.

Last edited:
Having lived in the New York /New Jersey environment I would think other places would just make the stress melt away ! Enjoy !

I am happy to hear that you are settling in and that you can finally breath a sigh of relief that you made the correct decisions.

I have found that changing jobs can be quite a life changing event. Just enjoy it.

Still, that probably isn't true for everyone. I am truly happy to hear that things are working out so well for you in Colorado, Brewer.

I have had similar experiences in the past. The difference this time is I don't give a crap about the petty annoyances. I see them when coworkers point them out, but I just don't care. I have no ambitions to move up and am just happy to do the job and go home.

Hoping the coworkers weren't told to be on their best behavior around the new guy!

It sounds like all the pieces fit together for the Brewer family. Happy to read your post.

Wow...I just now found this thread. Brewer...is that really you? :blink:

Yes, life can change for the better. :)

Just be sure to keep a little crankiness in your back pocket 'cause you'll want to keep the kids off your lawn...

Glad to hear that the move/job change has been good for you, Brewer. I was totally FIRE obsessed in my prior HSSJ(*). I finally resigned and we moved. I got a new job that is much better, working for a real mensch of a boss and with great co-workers. Well within my skill set so not much stress, but still enough to keep me interested/motivated. Not so in love with the new location, but we bought a nice apartment that I love and the kids are happy in their school so in general life is good. Probably up to about an 80 on the life satisfaction scale (was around 20-25 at the point where I resigned -- I was pretty depressed...). Not sure how long this will last, but enjoying it while it does. Wishing you the same.

lhamo

(*Horrible Soul-Sucking Job)

Good news!
Congratulations for taking the right decision.
Some negatives might probably fade in over time. But then you can just come back to your old thread, recall how it was and you will be happy again.

Good move and good luck. There many ways to acheive happiness. Plans change along the way.

Great Brewer. In the mid 90s I hit a very hard patch handling work stress but a major job change turned that around for the last 10 years of employment. ER still stayed in my future planning but it is nice to be able to pull the plug when you are sure you are FI and not feel driven to get out. Who knows, you may end up staying for a "normal" career -- nothing wrong with that if you are enjoying your life.

When I was 19, I got on a plane and moved from MS to OR. For years I considered planes as a source of a new life. I told people that it was not true that "you can't run away from your problems" because I found that the new life was unrelated to the old. After college I fell into the habit of changing job every three or so years and never regretted the moves. Each job was different with new thing to learn and see and a new part of the US to experience. Yes, I ended up in the long run spending 25 years with the feds but you can change jobs within the feds so the habit can continue. It was a perfect place for a life jumper like me.

If you are a person that can let go easily of the scars of the past, you can reinvent your life on the go. So, good luck and be happy.

So happy for you Brewer!. The words, "New Lease On Life" come to mind! Good for you!

Glad to hear it, all can change for the better in an instant. It can revert too but we will not know when so there is no sense worrying about it, just be prepared with your savings as they will give you freedom when the time comes. Enjoyable w@rk is just as good as ER as long as you and yours are content. I sometimes think about doing some form of w@rk very part time for a change and some mad money but never seem to get the time.

You sound less angry than before..........j/k..............:)

Glad to hear that all the changes have been positive. You sound much happier now.

Back
Top Bottom