perspectives on (and the choice of) the best 1st world countries to retire to?

I have considered the same thing and did some research but the socialized medicine in these other countries is offset by the higher taxes and the difficulty of finding jobs/lower salaries so I think the financial aspects are a wash. And I actually prefer the US so it doesn't make sense to move for me. But if you prefer other countries then France has a high tech visa program that will let you move as a startup founder. Canada has permanent residency based on a point system even without jobs. Having a job makes it much easier to qualify for a visa and permanent residency in both cases. I did not investigate other countries. Only Canada because it is close and France because I like Paris. If you are in tech then you can use this opportunity to move and work and pay in for 5 or so years and then retire early. That can easily offset about 20+ years of high healthcare costs before Medicare depending on how early you retire(probably 200K+).

I'm strictly looking from a retirement point of view. I might try out one more country via working (international school) but with a retirement date in either 2021 or 2022 I'm not looking for long term job prospect.

I think about retiring outside the US mostly due to a modified COL argument. I have enough to retire in the US (assuming I stay out of HCOL cities). However I also know that DW and I are frugal and will have a hard time switching from accumulation to spending. Moving to a significantly lower COL area will give us a psychological break that might well make it easier to get over that hump. Plus we want to travel in Europe and Asia and it is likely that we can save on travel if we are based out of a country closer to some of our destinations.

I would expand my search to walkable cities. Generally, the U.S. just doesn’t have good mass transit. Beyond places you can walk to, there is typically a lot of help for seniors to get to needed places. I live in a very non-walkable city but there is a good service run by the senior center to get people to medical facilities, the library and shopping areas. There’s also UBER type services if you just don’t want to own a car or drive. Realistically though, the U.S., as you know, is ver car centric.

Walkability has interesting connotations to me.

Previous searches for walkable US destinations to retire to have tended to lead to small to mid sized towns/cities with cute and compact downtowns and ready access to walking paths or trails. The focus has often seemed to be on places where you can walk pleasantly and not on places where you can live pleasantly without a car.

I've started to poke around at the WalkScore website and it is closer to what I am looking at but it still feels like a walkable neighborhood really only fits my desires if combined with the ability to use public transit to get easily and conveniently to other walkable neighborhoods.

BTW, when I bumped this thread I hadn't really noticed it was in the Young Dreamer section. It makes things a little odd in responses - I'm not really young anymore at 52 but I'm not really ready for the senior shuttle either.

Mark me down as a vote for the USA.

If you're a double digit millionaire, then I would say there are probably better options than the USA.

Mark me down as a vote for the USA.

If you're a double digit millionaire, then I would say there are probably better options than the USA.
Why is that, and where?

If I've got over $10M, I've got more than enough, and paying a little in taxes doesn't really bother me. Seems to me I'm less inclined to move at $10M than $1M. Sure, if I'm much over that I start getting heavy estate taxes on the overage, but I could probably lessen some of that with estate planning, and I'd be passing on plenty anyway.

My old college roommate (in IT) was recruited to Switzerland 20+ years ago while he was working for Boeing.

Unfortunately, last time I spoke with him he was planning to return to the U.S. to take care of his aging mother.

Why is that, and where?

If I've got over $10M, I've got more than enough, and paying a little in taxes doesn't really bother me. Seems to me I'm less inclined to move at $10M than $1M. Sure, if I'm much over that I start getting heavy estate taxes on the overage, but I could probably lessen some of that with estate planning, and I'd be passing on plenty anyway.

Everyone is different. I can't tell you what you would enjoy.

From my travels in my career, I’d say SF/Bay area/NYC metro/Boston/Philly and close DC metro meet the public transport requirement.

Living just north of Boston I'd leave BOS out of the equation when it comes to public transportation. Really. Seriously.

I've spent a lot of time in third world countries with better, cleaner and more reliable public transport. DW used to work in Boston and commute via train/subway. Four out of five days there was some problem, delay or breakdown forcing everyone onto a series of buses.

We're going into town for dinner tonight and we'd rather fight the traffic and pay $20 for parking than put up with the mayhem.

Physics Guy, Portland OR is a great walkable city with wonderful public transit --- as long as you live in the city. We found the same to be true for Chicago when we visited a couple of years ago. I suspect many cities meet your criteria so long as you live in the city itself. It's the commutes into and out of the cities that are difficult.

Regarding the OPs original question, I think the thing that many wannabe expats don't really think enough about is : what happens when you are elderly and /or if you suffer a significant disability? Who will take care of you? So much of our social safety net is family, so moving away from them is a really big deal.

It sounded like you were telling us. :confused: Oh well.
No, it depends on your healthcare needs, dietary needs, your preferred type of entertainment, your preferred climate, transportation needs/wants, etc.
If you have any serious healthcare concerns, they will limit your choices dramatically (if you want to live for awhile).

Back
Top Bottom