Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I came across this post today.

Sometimes the CEO of the consulting company in which I work tells me that he would help me get a consulting job in France if I wanted (I have never asked for that and never said I wanted to work in another country). The important thing about this is the fact that I don't know if it could be a good option. I have a French co-worker that told me he left France for Spain 15+ years ago and he would never go back. He says that although the salaries are high in France, the cost of living is higher, and that he hated the life in Paris, back then (I haven't told him about the CEO comment).
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question as the OP.

As I move towards retirement I have been thinking about transportation. I haven't minded driving during the last 20 years of suburban living in the US but for the past year (and for at least a couple more years) I have been living in Seoul and it has been a pleasure. Efficient public transit plus walkable neighborhoods is a terrific combo. That's not a stunning revelation but it has made the idea of retiring to my old car based existence much less appealing.

I'll admit I have a bias against the US cities due to a combination of perceived familiarity and cost. I know what the suburban US is like and want to avoid it but I suspect that some US cities have better transit than I then to think they do. In that regard I'm looking at the Walk Score site mentioned up thread but I'd still be interested in thoughts on cities that meet the following requirements in the US or abroad.

at least medium sized (to allow for diversity and things going on)

efficient, safe, and reasonably priced public transit that can get anywhere is the metro area

weather similar to inland PA, WV, VA (4 seasons is a must)

coastal might be ok but what I think of as beach retirement culture is a turn off.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

From my travels in my career, I’d say SF/Bay area/NYC metro/Boston/Philly and close DC metro meet the public transport requirement.

Not obvious any of those check your other boxes, though
Old 04-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Physics Guy, to me it sounds like Pittsburgh would be much to your liking.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
Hey Physics Guy, to me it sounds like Pittsburgh would be much to your liking.

I was born there. I haven't lived there as an adult but I've been back and think it is a neat town still. Never thought of it as public transit friendly (I left right after they converted the trolleys to light rail). Philadelphia has a little appeal also; its an area that I want to look into more.

I've more or less dropped Boston and NYC from consideration due to HCOL and possibly weather. We are loving Seoul tiny Asian apartment living but I suspect that long term we want a house even if the lot is small.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

I have considered the same thing and did some research but the socialized medicine in these other countries is offset by the higher taxes and the difficulty of finding jobs/lower salaries so I think the financial aspects are a wash. And I actually prefer the US so it doesn't make sense to move for me. But if you prefer other countries then France has a high tech visa program that will let you move as a startup founder. Canada has permanent residency based on a point system even without jobs. Having a job makes it much easier to qualify for a visa and permanent residency in both cases. I did not investigate other countries. Only Canada because it is close and France because I like Paris. If you are in tech then you can use this opportunity to move and work and pay in for 5 or so years and then retire early. That can easily offset about 20+ years of high healthcare costs before Medicare depending on how early you retire(probably 200K+).
topcat2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm strictly looking from a retirement point of view. I might try out one more country via working (international school) but with a retirement date in either 2021 or 2022 I'm not looking for long term job prospect.

I think about retiring outside the US mostly due to a modified COL argument. I have enough to retire in the US (assuming I stay out of HCOL cities). However I also know that DW and I are frugal and will have a hard time switching from accumulation to spending. Moving to a significantly lower COL area will give us a psychological break that might well make it easier to get over that hump. Plus we want to travel in Europe and Asia and it is likely that we can save on travel if we are based out of a country closer to some of our destinations.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #28

I would expand my search to walkable cities. Generally, the U.S. just doesn’t have good mass transit. Beyond places you can walk to, there is typically a lot of help for seniors to get to needed places. I live in a very non-walkable city but there is a good service run by the senior center to get people to medical facilities, the library and shopping areas. There’s also UBER type services if you just don’t want to own a car or drive. Realistically though, the U.S., as you know, is ver car centric.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Walkability has interesting connotations to me.

Previous searches for walkable US destinations to retire to have tended to lead to small to mid sized towns/cities with cute and compact downtowns and ready access to walking paths or trails. The focus has often seemed to be on places where you can walk pleasantly and not on places where you can live pleasantly without a car.

I've started to poke around at the WalkScore website and it is closer to what I am looking at but it still feels like a walkable neighborhood really only fits my desires if combined with the ability to use public transit to get easily and conveniently to other walkable neighborhoods.

BTW, when I bumped this thread I hadn't really noticed it was in the Young Dreamer section. It makes things a little odd in responses - I'm not really young anymore at 52 but I'm not really ready for the senior shuttle either.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Mark me down as a vote for the USA.

If you're a double digit millionaire, then I would say there are probably better options than the USA.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaver View Post
Mark me down as a vote for the USA.

If you're a double digit millionaire, then I would say there are probably better options than the USA.
Why is that, and where?

If I've got over $10M, I've got more than enough, and paying a little in taxes doesn't really bother me. Seems to me I'm less inclined to move at $10M than $1M. Sure, if I'm much over that I start getting heavy estate taxes on the overage, but I could probably lessen some of that with estate planning, and I'd be passing on plenty anyway.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My old college roommate (in IT) was recruited to Switzerland 20+ years ago while he was working for Boeing.

Unfortunately, last time I spoke with him he was planning to return to the U.S. to take care of his aging mother.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Why is that, and where?

If I've got over $10M, I've got more than enough, and paying a little in taxes doesn't really bother me. Seems to me I'm less inclined to move at $10M than $1M. Sure, if I'm much over that I start getting heavy estate taxes on the overage, but I could probably lessen some of that with estate planning, and I'd be passing on plenty anyway.
Everyone is different. I can't tell you what you would enjoy.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
From my travels in my career, I’d say SF/Bay area/NYC metro/Boston/Philly and close DC metro meet the public transport requirement.
Living just north of Boston I'd leave BOS out of the equation when it comes to public transportation. Really. Seriously.

I've spent a lot of time in third world countries with better, cleaner and more reliable public transport. DW used to work in Boston and commute via train/subway. Four out of five days there was some problem, delay or breakdown forcing everyone onto a series of buses.

We're going into town for dinner tonight and we'd rather fight the traffic and pay $20 for parking than put up with the mayhem.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Physics Guy, Portland OR is a great walkable city with wonderful public transit --- as long as you live in the city. We found the same to be true for Chicago when we visited a couple of years ago. I suspect many cities meet your criteria so long as you live in the city itself. It's the commutes into and out of the cities that are difficult.

Regarding the OPs original question, I think the thing that many wannabe expats don't really think enough about is : what happens when you are elderly and /or if you suffer a significant disability? Who will take care of you? So much of our social safety net is family, so moving away from them is a really big deal.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaver View Post
Everyone is different. I can't tell you what you would enjoy.
It sounded like you were telling us. Oh well.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
It sounded like you were telling us. Oh well.
No, it depends on your healthcare needs, dietary needs, your preferred type of entertainment, your preferred climate, transportation needs/wants, etc.
If you have any serious healthcare concerns, they will limit your choices dramatically (if you want to live for awhile).