Join Early Retirement Today

PF blogs you like?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

PF blogs you like?

Hi,

I wasn't sure in which sub-forum I should post my request, so I chose this one based on my age .
I was wondering if you could share some of your favorite PF blogs you frequent because you think they're great, interesting, and you even learn something new once in a while.
Any GREAT PF blogs would interest me, but PF blogs involving parents with kids in particular. E.g. thanks to this forum I discovered a nice PF blog like http://earlyretirementextreme.com however, this couple doesn't have or plan to have kids and sometimes it feels as if he "operates" alone, not as a couple.

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does "PF" mean ?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What does "PF" mean ?
Psst, Fidelity? j/k

OP, a lot of people swear by the Bogleheads.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

Oh I get it now... PF = Personal Finance.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh I get it now... PF = Personal Finance.
I thought she meant portfolio; I could think of another one but I'm moderating myself, so to speak.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Administrator

My immediate thought was Plantar Fasciitis. But yes, Personal Finance. A lot of our members do have kids and I'd say this forum is an excellent place to learn about personal finance.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #7

When I was a kid I used to wear PF-Flyers shoes. If you are old enough you'll remember those adventure/mystery commercials with Johhny Quest. The PF-Flyer shoes saved the day

Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Administrator

Yes, my brothers used to wear PF Flyers! Thanks for the memory, MB.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When I was a kid I used to wear PF-Flyers shoes. If you are old enough you'll remember those adventure/mystery commercials with Johhny Quest. The PF-Flyer shoes saved the day

Well, maybe they don't have PF initials, but I've seen teens wearing them these days as well. They're coming back .

Yes, I lurk here and on bogleheads and I love both sites, but I thought about PERSONAL (independent) blogs as well (Yep, Personal Finance if still not clear ). I'm w*rking hard but have time to look around .
Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
.... but I thought about PERSONAL (independent) blogs as well (Yep, Personal Finance if still not clear ). I'm w*rking hard but have time to look around .
I don't know of any myself but every once in a while someone comes here to hype a personal blog and the members quickly shred it, or um, evaluate it.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I don't know of any myself but every once in a while someone comes here to hype a personal blog and the members quickly shred it, or um, evaluate it.
Got it....forum doesn't want to lose its audience. Then Admin can 'shred' this too. I'll just do cherry picking when people quote blogs as a reference.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got it....forum doesn't want to lose its audience.
No, that really isn't the primary reason.

Most folks don't come here looking for posts spam hyping personal blogs -which are often thinly disguised enticements enabling you the opportunity to buy a sure-fire program to beat the market. While many blogs are totally legit and not a problem, the mod squad has better things to do than investigate every link to be sure it isn't selling snake oil.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to read a lot of different PF blogs, but lately I have been sticking primarily to just a few:

Get Rich Slowly -- I personally like this one the best. JD Roth has a really accessible writing style and seems like a really nice, genuine person who really wants to help people improve not just their financial life but also their lives in general. He and his new staff writers generally write substantive posts that are often quite reflective/analytical in nature (no "here are my favorite credit card deals this week" type posts -- I have stopped going to many PF blogs for that reason...). His forums are also good, though they get less traffic than these. JD is also REALLY great at dealing with negative comments on the blog. He and his wife don't have kids (just cats!) though, so might not be exactly what you are looking for.

www.getrichslowly.org/blog

The Simple Dollar

Trent Hamm may be the perfect blogger for you. He talks about his family and family-related issues a lot (too much for some people's taste). His blog is also very philosophical. He does weekly book reviews, many of which are focused on financial titles (also likes time management and personal development books). Trent gets criticized frequently for how he deals (or doesn't deal) with comments. Some people seem to find him a little pompous.

www.thesimpledollar.com

I don't have any connection to either of these blogs, except as a happy, loyal reader.

Both of them have links to other PF blogs that might fit the profile you are looking for. I can't access many of them (like Frugal Dad) due to Chinese firewall censoring issues, though, so I don't read so many of those.

Another resource you might want to check out are the discussion forums at Simple Living Network. SimpleLiving.net Forums There is a section of the forums devoted to family issues, and a lot of active participants have kids. Full disclosure: I am a (volunteer) moderator there.

lhamo
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

lhamo, thanks for sharing . I know the first one, but not the other two. I'll take a look at them.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #15

Here is one that I read regularly.
Scott Burn's blog at
AssetBuilder Inc. - Registered Investment Advisor

While not a blog, I visit Journal of Financial Planning — Financial Planning Articles & Resources each month.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I was wondering if you could share some of your favorite PF blogs you frequent because you think they're great, interesting, and you even learn something new once in a while.
Any GREAT PF blogs would interest me, but PF blogs involving parents with kids in particular. E.g. thanks to this forum I discovered a nice PF blog like http://earlyretirementextreme.com however, this couple doesn't have or plan to have kids and sometimes it feels as if he "operates" alone, not as a couple.

Thanks
Great is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

The practically complete list of pf blogs can be found here
Top 100+ Personal Finance Blogs
(It now has about 500 blogs.)

Given your preferences and assuming a desire for early retirement, it sounds like you might like

Canadian Dream: Free at 45 | A Blog About Early Retirement and Happiness (kids), a more moderate version of earlyretirementextreme (ERE).

Also Retirement: A Full-Time Job (no kids) although she doesn't post much.

obadobadope (no kids) very similar to ERE but more investment oriented.

If ER is not an issue, I'd have other recommendations. I think both GRS and TSD mentioned above are pursuing traditional retirement ages.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #17

http://feedproxy.google.com/AllFinancialMatters

http://feeds.feedburner.com/AlmostFrugal

http://feeds.feedburner.com/AmateurAssetAllocator

http://asklizweston.com/feed/atom/

http://feeds.thestreet.com/tsc/feeds/rss/ask-the-street

http://aatheory.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

http://feeds.feedburner.com/Assetbuilder

And those are just the A's....
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Personally I've gotten great tips from Ramit Sethi's site - iwillteachyoutoberich.com
Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima Mundi View Post
Personally I've gotten great tips from Ramit Sethi's site - iwillteachyoutoberich.com
Maybe so, but whenever I see a website with a title like that I suspect it was shortened from:

"iwillteachyoutoberichforonly$29.95permonthbutyoum ustsignupnow.com"

But that's just me.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe so, but whenever I see a website with a title like that I suspect it was shortened from:

"iwillteachyoutoberichforonly$29.95permonthbutyoum ustsignupnow.com"

But that's just me.

Admittedly he does have a training course (for which you have to pay) but I find his blog posts give helpful tips, and that's good enough for me. I also read his book - which I checked out from the library.