PF blogs you like?

aida2003

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi,

I wasn't sure in which sub-forum I should post my request, so I chose this one based on my age :whistle: :cool:.
I was wondering if you could share some of your favorite PF blogs you frequent because you think they're great, interesting, and you even learn something new once in a while.
Any GREAT PF blogs would interest me, but PF blogs involving parents with kids in particular. E.g. thanks to this forum I discovered a nice PF blog like http://earlyretirementextreme.com however, this couple doesn't have or plan to have kids and sometimes it feels as if he "operates" alone, not as a couple.

Thanks

My immediate thought was Plantar Fasciitis. :LOL: But yes, Personal Finance. A lot of our members do have kids and I'd say this forum is an excellent place to learn about personal finance.

When I was a kid I used to wear PF-Flyers shoes. If you are old enough you'll remember those adventure/mystery commercials with Johhny Quest. The PF-Flyer shoes saved the day

PM_5_SUMFUN_HI_BLACK.jpg

When I was a kid I used to wear PF-Flyers shoes. If you are old enough you'll remember those adventure/mystery commercials with Johhny Quest. The PF-Flyer shoes saved the day

YouTube - Johhny Quest - P.F.Flyers 1960's

PM_5_SUMFUN_HI_BLACK.jpg

Well, maybe they don't have PF initials, but I've seen teens wearing them these days as well. They're coming back :greetings10:.

Yes, I lurk here and on bogleheads and I love both sites, but I thought about PERSONAL (independent) blogs as well :angel: (Yep, Personal Finance if still not clear :flowers:). I'm w*rking hard but have time to look around :greetings10:.

.... but I thought about PERSONAL (independent) blogs as well :angel: (Yep, Personal Finance if still not clear :flowers:). I'm w*rking hard but have time to look around :greetings10:.
I don't know of any myself but every once in a while someone comes here to hype a personal blog and the members quickly shred it, or um, evaluate it.

I don't know of any myself but every once in a while someone comes here to hype a personal blog and the members quickly shred it, or um, evaluate it.

Got it....forum doesn't want to lose its audience.:rolleyes: Then Admin can 'shred' this too. I'll just do cherry picking when people quote blogs as a reference.

Got it....forum doesn't want to lose its audience.:rolleyes:
No, that really isn't the primary reason.

Most folks don't come here looking for [-]posts[/-] spam hyping personal blogs -which are often thinly disguised enticements enabling you the opportunity to buy a sure-fire program to beat the market. While many blogs are totally legit and not a problem, the mod squad has better things to do than investigate every link to be sure it isn't selling snake oil.

I used to read a lot of different PF blogs, but lately I have been sticking primarily to just a few:

Get Rich Slowly -- I personally like this one the best. JD Roth has a really accessible writing style and seems like a really nice, genuine person who really wants to help people improve not just their financial life but also their lives in general. He and his new staff writers generally write substantive posts that are often quite reflective/analytical in nature (no "here are my favorite credit card deals this week" type posts -- I have stopped going to many PF blogs for that reason...). His forums are also good, though they get less traffic than these. JD is also REALLY great at dealing with negative comments on the blog. He and his wife don't have kids (just cats!) though, so might not be exactly what you are looking for.

www.getrichslowly.org/blog

The Simple Dollar

Trent Hamm may be the perfect blogger for you. He talks about his family and family-related issues a lot (too much for some people's taste). His blog is also very philosophical. He does weekly book reviews, many of which are focused on financial titles (also likes time management and personal development books). Trent gets criticized frequently for how he deals (or doesn't deal) with comments. Some people seem to find him a little pompous.

www.thesimpledollar.com

I don't have any connection to either of these blogs, except as a happy, loyal reader.

Both of them have links to other PF blogs that might fit the profile you are looking for. I can't access many of them (like Frugal Dad) due to Chinese firewall censoring issues, though, so I don't read so many of those.

Another resource you might want to check out are the discussion forums at Simple Living Network. SimpleLiving.net Forums There is a section of the forums devoted to family issues, and a lot of active participants have kids. Full disclosure: I am a (volunteer) moderator there.

lhamo

lhamo, thanks for sharing :greetings10:. I know the first one, but not the other two. I'll take a look at them.

I was wondering if you could share some of your favorite PF blogs you frequent because you think they're great, interesting, and you even learn something new once in a while.
Any GREAT PF blogs would interest me, but PF blogs involving parents with kids in particular. E.g. thanks to this forum I discovered a nice PF blog like http://earlyretirementextreme.com however, this couple doesn't have or plan to have kids and sometimes it feels as if he "operates" alone, not as a couple.

Thanks

Great is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

The practically complete list of pf blogs can be found here
Top 100+ Personal Finance Blogs
(It now has about 500 blogs.)

Given your preferences and assuming a desire for early retirement, it sounds like you might like

Canadian Dream: Free at 45 | A Blog About Early Retirement and Happiness (kids), a more moderate version of earlyretirementextreme (ERE).

Also Retirement: A Full-Time Job (no kids) although she doesn't post much.

obadobadope (no kids) very similar to ERE but more investment oriented.

If ER is not an issue, I'd have other recommendations. I think both GRS and TSD mentioned above are pursuing traditional retirement ages.

Personally I've gotten great tips from Ramit Sethi's site - iwillteachyoutoberich.com

Personally I've gotten great tips from Ramit Sethi's site - iwillteachyoutoberich.com
Maybe so, but whenever I see a website with a title like that I suspect it was shortened from:

"iwillteachyoutoberichforonly$29.95permonthbutyoumustsignupnow.com"

But that's just me. :)

Maybe so, but whenever I see a website with a title like that I suspect it was shortened from:

"iwillteachyoutoberichforonly$29.95permonthbutyoumustsignupnow.com"

But that's just me. :)

:ROFLMAO:

Admittedly he does have a training course (for which you have to pay) but I find his blog posts give helpful tips, and that's good enough for me. I also read his book - which I checked out from the library. :whistle:

:ROFLMAO:

Admittedly he does have a training course (for which you have to pay) but I find his blog posts give helpful tips, and that's good enough for me. I also read his book - which I checked out from the library. :whistle:

I think I read his site a while back when he was still planning to write a book. Maybe I'll have to see if our library has his book too, just for curiosity reasons.

Value Forum,,, it cost but well worth it if you do your own trading/portfolio investments.
Since 2003 I figured out better to let smarter than I do it for a fee.
I also got away from the plain joe six pack and went with hedge funds who can be 100% cash, gold, stocks, bonds or a multiple what ever they think is best at the time. That is what I call no obstacle investing.

Back
Top Bottom