Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Please allow me to vent about work
Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Feel free to vent as long as I can disagree with some of your feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
So, by force I was taken to a client dinner because this client tends to ask lots of questions about their account and they wanted to have somebody there to answer questions. So, I had to sit there (eating some pretty decent food) for 3.5 HOURS!!! listening to the client go on about how hard it is to live on $500K p/y (they were seriously complaining) down from $1.1M. Then I got the jolly task of explaining to them how we actually did a good job for them last year and they earned around 10.5% after fees on a fairly conservative accout blah blah blah....
First of all, how exactly were you taken by force? I assume by force you mean that you were told / expected to go, because that is a part of your job? I've worked in software for years, we're certainly "back office" people, but as a part of my career I've gone to plenty of dinners. And speaking of dinners, 3.5 hours is a pretty short business meeting when it comes down to it.

In software, we have to listen to clients (and upper management) talk about whatever they feel they want to talk about. I believe this is standard when doing any kind of business (in business for yourself, or for "the man"). The person paying the bills is generally treated well. Now I understand you may be frustrated as you were berated, but I think saying you were "forced" to go, and it was "3.5!!!" hours long, and you had the "jolly" task of explaining makes it seem as if you don't want to be working at all.

In general, most people need to work. While it's always fun to make fun of "horrible corporate workplaces", and "you are just a cog", etc, this situation doesn't seem to fit the bill. If you were just a cog in the machine, you would probably be expected to write a report and hand it off to some pointy haired boss who would talk to the client. Instead, you were given a great opportunity to have some face time with clients, and get some practice talking politely with important people. Even if you worked for a small company, or worked for yourself, you would still need to have long dinners, and you would still need to explain things to clients.

Quote:
So, after 3 hours or so, I was itching to get home (my wife was home sick) and after 3.5 hours we leave (to drive home another hour at which point it's now 11:00)
I understand that your wife was sick so you wanted to get home, but getting home at 11pm is not such a horrible thing. Seems fairly reasonable, especially since you're saying that this is an uncommon thing. Once in awhile going to a business dinner is a good opportunity for almost any career plans. You can advance in your company, or you could learn skills for your own company, or learn marketable skills for other companies. In either case, it was a good opportunity. If your wife was "really" sick, then I think you could have bowed out of the whole thing (along with work for the day), but I'm getting the impression that you just wanted to be home. Not saying that I don't understand the feeling (when my wife takes a day off, it's hard for me to be at work at all), but it doesn't seem like such a terrible situation.

Quote:
So today, I get called in by the senior people. I was thinking it might have been "great job, the clients are happy" NOPE! Instead, "you looked anxious to leave that meeting, it was an embarrasment to the firm"
I thought I was going to throw something
From your earlier post, it certainly sounds like you didn't want to be there, and you were anxious to leave. The senior people wanted to rely upon you to do an important task (a part of your job). It seems as if you let your personal feelings get in the way of your job. Everyone who works (again, for themselves, government, small / large businesses) generally has to do some things they don't like. Heck, I hate picking weeds, but it's a part of gardening. However, how you go about doing things is very important. If you was glancing at your watch over and over during dinner, as a client I would be upset, and as a business partner I would be upset. I think in general it's just bad manners.

Now, what I think you should be saying is: I am bad with people, I don't have the political or social skills to handle business situations. I am best in a back-office environment. I need to explain the situation to the senior staff, and make sure they understand that clients should never talk to me. If this is an unacceptable situation for them, I will need to find a company who understands my skillset.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
Feel free to vent as long as I can disagree with some of your feelings
Hey, thanks Ceberon, for being so understanding & supportive and for making the posters feel comfortable sharing their feelings.*

I don't think a smiley face cuts it with those comments.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I smell a 'bad boy' about to show up on someones next review.

You should have just told them that your wife was sick and you were distracted by that and the dinner ran long.

What you should have done was let them know that in advance, and tell them to call you on your cell phone if they had any questions that needed to be answered by you. Let the sales shmuck front end it since he's getting the commissions.

Unless they set you up in a difficult situation so they'd have something to complain about...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Now, what I think you should be saying is: I am bad with people, I don't have the political or social skills to handle business situations. I am best in a back-office environment. I need to explain the situation to the senior staff, and make sure they understand that clients should never talk to me. If this is an unacceptable situation for them, I will need to find a company who understands my skillset.
Now let me evaluate your interpretation....

First of all, I am good with people. I have a wonderful relationship with many of our clients. In fact, many of them call me directly instead of their "relationship manager" because they know that I will tell them what is best for them, and be 100% honest.

In addition, as far as social skills I regularly teach an investments course at a local college and love speaking to large groups of people. What gives me the greatest joy is meeting newer investors and giving them a good footing and keeping them from the sharks. I am also active in my local CFA society and enjoy participating in group discussions and their speaking engagements.

In addition, my presense at this meeting was firmly requested under the auspices of needing my professional opinion. I'm sure that the company could have better deployed the $150 or so of wine and steak I consumed while listening to this conversation.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hey, thanks Ceberon, for being so understanding & supportive and for making the posters feel comfortable sharing their feelings.

I don't think a smiley face cuts it with those comments.
I am attempting to be honest about the situation. Unless I understand correctly, this is not a "support" group, where we all give each other high 5's. We evaluation other people's situations, and tell them when they're possibly fooling themselves.

We certainly all jump at the chance if someone says "My phone bill is $500 per month, but there's no way I could cut that". So why not in this situation? I think that there are some things that could be worked on, and maybe it just needs to be looked at from another angle. I don't see this as a pure black and white situation, where the managers were just being "the man", and should be yelled at.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
You should have just told them that your wife was sick and you were distracted by that and the dinner ran long.

What you should have done was let them know that in advance, and tell them to call you on your cell phone if they had any questions that needed to be answered by you. Let the sales shmuck front end it since he's getting the commissions.
I think that's a reasonable suggestion. If your wife was sick enough where you wanted to be home, explain the situation. If they were not understanding of a personal issue, then you certainly have room to be upset with them.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #27

My general feeling about the whole thing is: get a steady job with well-defined hours or schedule, e.g., pharmacist -- no need to entertain clients, performance reviews, objectives, personal development plan, project deadlines. The pay is decent - $100K (medium).
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I stood in line behind a woman in her 80's at the pharmacy yesterday. She insisted the pharmacist said she could do a return there, when he said that he hadnt. She wanted him to fix a problem with her check not being cashed to pay her bill to the store credit card, and would be "very upset" if he didnt take care of it there. She then wanted him to ring up her entire basket of purchases at the pharmacy when there was a line a mile long there and nobody at the front of the store. And she wanted her return to be credited to a different card from the one she made the purchase on. Or again, she'd be "very upset". If I didnt have respect for the elderly, I could easily have told her that all of us in line would very much like for her to be upset and move along...

I'd cross pharmacist off the list of easy jobs...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Saluki9, even at good jobs, with good pay and reasonable rules sometimes everyone has to vent. What better place than an anonymous forum where many people can relate and allow you to calm down so you don't burn bridges.

what I find working for a big company is there re many people who could care less about family, and are interested only in the almighty dollar. They will do anything to get ahead, neglect spouses and children, step on others, and only have one thing in mind. Move up, make more.

It is frustrating to have an ill spouse you can't be there to help, or feel so pressured you can't get away for bloodwork. It is a sad statement of people's priorities. Just don't believe for one minute if you drop dead tonight the company will come to a grinding halt. They will fill your chair with another body and life will go on.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #30

I didn't exactly make the company come to a grinding halt, but the night I finally got fed up and quit my job delivering pizzas, they had to close the store down that Saturday night! I'm still kinda proud of that little accomplishment! 8)

And I know this is more coincidence than anything else, but that store went WAY downhill after I left, and was never anywhere near as profitable. Eventually it got sold off to be a franchise, because directly under the company wing it was just falling flat on its face. About a year ago (4+ years after I quit) I actually ran into my old manager and his wife, also a manager. We started talking about old times, and I could see where this was starting to go, so I said HELL no, I'm NOT coming back!

Quitting that job was a major milestone, because at that point my average workweek went down from 65-70 hours to 40-45.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We had a wildcat strike at macdonalds when I was 16 and worked there for a while. The manager, who clearly thought his job was Drill Instructor, fired one of the girls working at the counter because she called Filet O' Fish "swimmers" as in "I need a couple of swimmers up here!". So me and all the grill crew sat out back until he apologized and rehired her.

I'm glad to continue enjoying the telling of that story, since all of us got fired the next day. He just wanted someone to fill out the shift.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am attempting to be honest about the situation.* Unless I understand correctly, this is not a "support" group, where we all give each other high 5's.* We evaluation other people's situations, and tell them when they're possibly fooling themselves.
Eeewwwwwkay, thanks for being honest, but I think perhaps a little essence of tact & support is probably more appreciated than a Vulcan logic analysis. There's probably a time for each and a suitable combination, and I don't think this was intended to be a time for 100% engineering straight-ahead problem solving.

The subject of the post is "Please allow me to vent". If we were required to go into problem-solving mode it'd probably say "Please solve my problems for me."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
My general feeling about the whole thing is: get a steady job with well-defined hours or schedule, e.g., pharmacist -- no need to entertain clients, performance reviews, objectives, personal development plan, project deadlines. The pay is decent - $100K (medium).
No need to entertain clients You need to deal with customers every minute of the day! Not to mention the insurance companies and doctors.

No project deadline How about having the prescriptions ready in 15 minutes before the customer starts complaining??
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Eeewwwwwkay, thanks for being honest, but I think perhaps a little essence of tact & support is probably more appreciated than a Vulcan logic analysis. There's probably a time for each and a suitable combination, and I don't think this was intended to be a time for 100% engineering straight-ahead problem solving.
Actually, I probably would have been more supportive, except that by the time I read the thread, there were 15 "Yeah, stupid companies!!" posts already. I figured he'd had enough support already and could handle a single negative comment
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Eeewwwwwkay, thanks for being honest, but I think perhaps a little essence of tact & support is probably more appreciated than a Vulcan logic analysis.* There's probably a time for each and a suitable combination, and I don't think this was intended to be a time for 100% engineering straight-ahead problem solving.

The subject of the post is "Please allow me to vent".* If we were required to go into problem-solving mode it'd probably say "Please solve my problems for me."
Nords: Having a wife and two adult daughters,
they mainly want to use me as a sounding-board. "I didn't expect you to fix it for me Dad, just listening is good." (It took a while to get this down, but now have it covered pretty well.)

Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Eeewwwwwkay, thanks for being honest, but I think perhaps a little essence of tact & support is probably more appreciated than a Vulcan logic analysis.* There's probably a time for each and a suitable combination, and I don't think this was intended to be a time for 100% engineering straight-ahead problem solving.

The subject of the post is "Please allow me to vent".* If we were required to go into problem-solving mode it'd probably say "Please solve my problems for me."
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Nords: Having a wife and two adult daughters,
they mainly want to use me as a sounding-board. "I didn't expect you to fix it for me Dad, just listening is good." (It took a while to get this down, but now have it covered pretty well.)
In a very similar boat as you (wife & two adult daughters), I know of what you speak.

You are absolutely correct, but I have a miserable track record for automatically reverting to the problem resolution mode. I'm hoping being retired will help cure me, and I can be reliably depended on to only respond with "Ummm Hmmm" in the future.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Wasnt that an old saw...men are problem fixers but women dont want them to fix their problems, just hear about them.

Hence a small communication problem between the species...?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #39

Just to set the record straight, it's me with the overdue bloodwork not saluki
Old 03-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
I'd cross pharmacist off the list of easy jobs...
Add in the other retail hazard -- crummy hours -- and the very real danger of robbery, and I can see why the pharmacy majors I knew in school wanted to work for hospitals or phamaceutical companies ...