Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please allow me to vent about work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
"I didn't expect you to fix it for me Dad, just listening is good."
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm hoping being retired will help cure me, and I can be reliably depended on to only respond with "Ummm Hmmm" in the future.
"That's OK, Dad, I'll ask Mom. I didn't want to know that much about it."

In our house, the punishment our kid fears the most is having to discuss with me what she did wrong, what she learned from it, and what she'll do about it.

I know how she feels. I learned the technique from the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Examining Board's Operational Reactor Safeguards Exams... annually and as a triennial surprise...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like Jarhead and REWahoo I also have 2 grown children. Two sons who are extremely honest and extremely competent, but not exactly wizards at communication. I have a hard time when they are describing their problems to me, mostly because I think that if I had done a more complete job while I was bringing them up they would be better in this area.

My attitude as a young father unfortunately tended to be that my kids were bright and most things they could figure out for themselves instead of me trying to tell them. I hated arguments, and I felt that I didn’t really know WTF was going on anyway. It was kind of hippie laissez-faire. My parents treated me the same way. About the only thing my Dad ever told me was "don’t mess up"; he didn’t give any pointers about preferred ways to avoid messing up. He also said he didn't want to see any girls coming around wearing maternity clothes. Left it to me to handle the details here too.

But I now believe that one's ways of seeing the world depend to a large degree on pre-set mental categories and notions. So this is something that a parent can to some degree manage, without much conflict or strife. It’s more like creating frames and words to help shape perceptions and ideas. If I had been sharper, I perhaps could have given them the categories to make their lives easier now. They both have full speed ahead competitive and demanding jobs, and I feel that I have let them down in this regard.

One of the benefits I get from this board is seeing people's differing ways of structuring their world. To bad life is only one trip down the slope.

Ha
Old 03-03-2006, 05:54 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
In addition, as far as social skills I regularly teach an investments course at a local college and love speaking to large groups of people.* What gives me the greatest joy is meeting newer investors and giving them a good footing and keeping them from the sharks. I am also active in my local CFA society and enjoy participating in group discussions and their speaking engagements.*
Heheh, saluki, ceberus probably has no clue how much in demand someone like youself is in today's labor market. Frankly, your employer should be kissing your keister, not the other way around. If you get shellacked for your superiors' misjudgement, it might be time to take the show on the road.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Heheh, saluki, ceberus probably has no clue how much in demand someone like youself is in today's labor market.* Frankly, your employer should be kissing your keister, not the other way around.* If you get shellacked for your superiors' misjudgement, it might be time to take the show on the road.
I actually can't figure out what someone like him would do. He doesn't analyze individual securities- he says his firm uses ETFs and index funds. He doesn't sell clients. What does he do? The same thing that people here argue about all day- slice and dice, asset allocation, etc?

Ha
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I actually can't figure out what someone like him would do. He doesn't analyze individual securities- he says his firm uses ETFs and index funds. He doesn't sell clients. What does he do? The same thing that people here argue about all day- slice and dice, asset allocation, etc?

Ha
I'll let saluki answer in detail, but he said "most" of the money is in ETFs and with DFA funds. That means there is probably some hedge fund allocation (selection & monitoring is time-consuming and expensive), probably some commodities pool stuff (don't ask), a bunch of stuff that is only available to qualified investors (structured notes, weird stuff like pooled funds investing in tax liens or life insurance policies), and Gawd knows what else. Plus I bet there is a lot of hand-holding (time consuming and expensive), risk management around individual equity holdings (imagine investing 50% of someone's portfolio when the other 50% is all in one stock they can't sell), and other services to do.

- George Orwell

Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
like a combination hammer-screwdriver in the example above...because you may rather work behind the scenes and not have much people contact.
pardon my melded metaphor, but retire@40 has hit that round peg squarely on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I will...be 100% honest....and keeping them from the sharks.
if you look you will find yourself in the shark pool. so it seems you are between a hard corporate tooth and your own personal shark cage.

your cage will keep you alive, but from within your cage, you can not beat them. if you keep the other sharks well fed, perhaps they will not eat you.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #47

oops

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #48

Quote:
I'll let saluki answer in detail, but he said "most" of the money is in ETFs and with DFA funds. That means there is probably some hedge fund allocation (selection & monitoring is time-consuming and expensive), probably some commodities pool stuff (don't ask), a bunch of stuff that is only available to qualified investors (structured notes, weird stuff like pooled funds investing in tax liens or life insurance policies), and Gawd knows what else. Plus I bet there is a lot of hand-holding (time consuming and expensive), risk management around individual equity holdings (imagine investing 50% of someone's portfolio when the other 50% is all in one stock they can't sell), and other services to do.
Wow, If you don't mind I might just save some time and post that into my resume next time I need it. That's pretty much exactly what I do.

Over half of the new clients we take in are corporate execs with large single issue holdings or options. I also act as a liason between the hedge funds and private equity we have our clients invested in.

I could also hire another full time person to handle the unwinding of some of the crap people come into here with.

Plus... Lots and lots of hand holding

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
Oh yeah, I actually do get paid to do what a lot of you guys do around here all day for free. :P

Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Saluki, if I ever decide to move over to the PM side of things, I will have to pick your brain/get the war stories before I jump.

- George Orwell

Old 03-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Saluki, if I ever decide to move over to the PM side of things, I will have to pick your brain/get the war stories before I jump.
not a problem. I have enough of those fun stories to fill a book.

Perhaps I would tell you about the client that came in here who was comfortable writing options (covered calls) 100 shares at a time. He figured as long as he was "good" with options, well then futures can't be THAT different right? He didn't quite understand the notional difference (or his former broker didn't explain) between 1 option contract and a full size (not e-mini) futures contract. Ahhhh the fun I'm just glad it didn't blow up before we unwound it.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

You should hire a full time guy to do your posting here.

Then you'd get paid to not do it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Kinda funny (a ha ha moment) that OP is complaining about how his clients are clueless on money, but isnt that how they are able to make money on selling ETFs and index funds to them.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beagle Formerly Known as Maddy
Kinda funny (a ha ha moment) that OP is complaining about how his clients are clueless on money, but isnt that how they are able to make money on selling ETFs and index funds to them.
I would disagree of course! The vast majority of our the clients I work on are pretty smart (they didn't get their money by being stupid). That being said there are some pretty crazy things I've seen. I think you are making the mistake of assuming that every investor is interested in managing their own affairs. There are plenty of people who aren't, and are willing to pay for it.

Now they could either wind up at the "wealth management" division of a major brokerage house where they will pay 1.5% to be put into mutual fund or SA's with another 1%+ on them. Many will get no other services on top of that. At least I am better able to justify the process by knowing that in most cases people will pay less than 1% and we can provide them other services they won't get from a wirehouse. (billpay, tax advice, mortgages, etc.) We also do get some people who are willing to pay just to get access to DFA.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #55

Hey Beagle......did you get a new pup?
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #56

no same one, she is 11 years old and just like to change pics.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #57

Quote:
There are plenty of people who aren't, and are willing to pay for it.
That's true that a lot of people are willing for services because they want to do something else with their time.

I only pay for services under the following conditions:
* the task is utterly unpleasant.
* I have a very busy schedule.
* the task is way beyond my ability or it will take me a long time to learn.
* I do have the license to perform the task.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #58

Quote:
I did move over to the PM side with Saluki. His brain is worth picking.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the club
Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

Join the club

I left a self employed lifestyle (to try and get off the 60k per year car travel routine) and went to work for a client, our agreement 32 hrs a week until 1-1-06 then 40 hours. Bonus 1-10-06. FLEXIBLE schedule.

WHat actually happened

Threatened to fire me for taking my father for a lung scan (cancer) told em to go for it, they backed down.

12-20-05 was notified that "we really cant do 40 hours, its not in the budget"

1-10-06 Got my BONE-US $77.00 before taxes (mind you I saved the Company 33k last year)

Now they bitch every time I try to alter my schedule....

My PLAN

I've restarted my business and am 60 days from being back on my own (Hired a guy to run the roads so I can concentrate on the business)

Oh and they came to me a week ago and say "Uh we are going to need you for full time because of the third project phase and the software company says we have to have someone 50 hours a week."

I told them that I was sorry but since they told me I couldnt go full time I had taken on other obligations.......no response..

Anyway its the same all over when you work for someone else.

R
Rikkitikkitavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

R, if they make you a counter offer, ignore it. But you probably already knew that.

- George Orwell