Please help: Is this calculator accurate?

Mary, one more thing to remember: When it comes to mortgages it's usually better to end up with not quite as much house as you wanted than not quite enough money to pay your other bills...;)

Looks pretty straight up, but the real test is to plug in your own information...how much you spend on living expenses, etc. These calculators are based on typical patterns...not necessarily yours...
Good luck!
Rambler

Mary, one more thing to remember: When it comes to mortgages it's usually better to end up with not quite as much house as you wanted than not quite enough money to pay your other bills...;)

Great point. Trust me, I'm not looking for a mansion. Just want something to guide me.

Thanks!

Simple rule of thumb is, assuming your expenses are lean and your other debt is minimal, is to take 2.5 X your income as the MAXIMUM home mortgage your can afford. Example: $50K income times 2.5 is a $125K Mortgage. To the mortgage amount ADD your down payment that should keep you is very safe territory (reference REWahoo) as to the total home cost. (Notice the distinction between Mortgage and Home; the distinction is more important today with the high prices of homes).

Back
Top Bottom