Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Fixed it for you
Yeah, but the boat is a Happy Hour platform for drinking with our good friends and taking them out on harbor cruises before we all drop dead! Hello rationalization train, Sarah is at the station!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Most of them just go down and down.
and down

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

a few questions...

Can you buy a used version of that sexy little number ?

Can you wait 1 week and the re-read your post ?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarman View Post
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Please forgive my ramblings, as this is my first post.

So, you may ask, what drove me from "lurker" to poster today?

Well, I need help. Honestly I'm having a "weak moment" here and I need someone here to talk some sense into me

First, a little background. I'm 39, married, a nice chunk in the savings, zero credit card debt, no auto loans, and we are by our latest figures about 9 months away from paying off our house (fingers crossed).

Right now we are kind of sitting on a small pile of cash saving for the day we can dispatch the mortgage... By all accounts, life is pretty good.

Problem is, there is a very specific, sexy sports car calling my name lately. I seriously, can not sleep at night thinking of the darn thing!

I feel like I am weak and need a trusted member of FIRE to remind me of the "big picture". The worst part, is my wife has actually told me I deserve it, and to GO BUY THE CAR. Even my Boss has told me to GO BUY THE CAR. I seriously have no one to talk me out of this purchase, so I reach out to ya'll

Further complicating the issue, we have recently had 2 arms length acquaintances pass away unexpectedly. This obviously has me thinking no matter how hard you work, or how much you save, "you cant take it with you". (One guy 53, fell over dead of a heart attack last week, lot of good his I.R.A. is going to do him, huh? )

Ok, I am done rambling, I guess my question is, how do you guys make it through rough spots with regard to "temptation"? How do you keep focused on the next goal, and the next one without splurging on that "big vacation" or in my case something as frivolous as a sports car?

Help me fight the urge, and stay on track!!

Gar
Buy what you really want. The trick is KNOWING what you really want. You might need to do some introspection to find out. Or, you might have to do a lot of introspection to find out. Get to know Gar. Given that most of us are not infinitely wealthy, we have to make choices. What does Gar really want in his life, and when? What are Gar's priorities? These are the kinds of questions that you may want to consider.

As I'm sure you realize, you are an adult and you don't need anyone to tell you what to do. It seems to me that it is a whole lot easier to reach your goals if the motivation comes from inside you instead of from whatever some strangers on the internet tell you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Time is our best friend. Take some time to simmer down. You mention you are having a weak moment. Time always puts things in perspective. Your boss' encouragement to buy the car should be ignored as he would not know your FIRE plans.

I would think paying off the house is more important than any sexy car.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

To add to the wealth of advice you've received so far, let me fill in one niche:
Quote:
The worst part, is my wife has actually told me I deserve it, and to GO BUY THE CAR.
In our marriage this is code for "If I tell you it's OK to buy the freakin' car, then will you stop blathering about it and make up your damn mind and just leave me alone? Fine."

Either that or she's really lookin' forward to driving it while you're slaving away to pay for it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #27

Was a sports car nut until I was 45 or so. Don't regret any FIRE delay it might have caused. I will say that the last shiny "look good" car (for me a pristine 911 targa) became a garage queen bore. Sold it and got a Subie WRX that I modified and autocrossed the heck out of (SCCA Solo II). It was an absolute blast. My highlight was getting FTD (fastest time of the day) one outing in a field of 48 cars my rookie season. Also enjoyed doing much of the mod work myself.

It was always an irony to see newbies show up with their $80k Euro machines only to run through a course clueless and get smoked by a kid in his $8k modified junker. Alway's the skill, not the car.

My autocrossing days are over. I know waste FIRE money on modest water toys with no regrets
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
WOW
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

WOW

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful input!

First, I want to say that the act of simply typing the story of the car in this forum helped put it in proper perspective for me.

I had already told my wife (and boss) that we wouldn't be buying the car, and now I am more solid in that decision, thanks to you guys.

For those of you who were asking more detail, I'll now share a little more about the experience. I have always been a "car guy", but I have kept it supressed by driving boring sedans and SUV's for the last 10-15 years. So the car wasn't just a impulse buy. It was actually the super car we used to dream about when we were young and just starting out trying to get the house settled, start careers, etc. It was always one of those "WOW, maybe someday" kinda things. So about two weeks ago, it shows up at a local car lot, a red, first generation Dodge Viper R/T-10 roadster, 18,000 miles, and because of the time of year here in PA, she was "priced to move"

For a while it was just hard to look at that car, and then at the small heap of money sitting in the bank, and know we could do it! (finally)

But I must admit, the last few days have been easier, and I actually slept pretty well last night

There will be other cars, there will be other tests. I just need to keep focused.

thanks again!

Gar
thegarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Gar - I had your struggles also. Except, mine was a torch red 500hp C5 Corvette Convertible ... and I got it LOL. I already had the house paid off though, and know I can make a bit of money off of it once I sell it since I never buy "toy" cars that I can't make money off of. I don't regret it at all, though I will be selling in the next few months ... only to look for another one to make a few bucks off of
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #30

Never really had the urge for a sports car, just not useful. Now....if I retire this summer I have had an urge for a Subaru Outback or Forester. Living in the Spokane area I can kind of justify by the weather etc....but in the "real world" we don't have to travel if the weather is bad so AWD is nice...but not required. If we buy new it will likely be the Hyundai Elantra Touring....if we don't go there it will be used and a fair amount cheaper. We need a car that 1. is dependable 2. has a decent amount of room in it 3. doesn't cost a ton of money 4. gets decent gas mileage. Never really had an urge for a sports car. Even if I had tons of money, it would likely be a Sub Outback with the bigger engine.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a nice convertable car...

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Ok, I am done rambling, I guess my question is, how do you guys make it through rough spots with regard to "temptation"? How do you keep focused on the next goal, and the next one without splurging on that "big vacation" or in my case something as frivolous as a sports car?

Help me fight the urge, and stay on track!!

Gar
I am cheap and never enjoined cars as an example. Bought maybe 5 new and 3 used cars or so over last 20 years, always thought about them as a mean to get to and from work safely. So, from investment standpoint - in my opinion it's a waste. However, if you really like it - I don't see any problems getting it. The part that bothers me - "deserve it". I would not buy it for my boss and anybody else or because my management title demands to drive $40K cars vs $25K. Main driver for me would be only desire to have and enjoy driving it....
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had my first mid-life crisis at 39.5 when my Dad died. That was when I got the Miata. 10 years later I still have it, and it still puts a grin on my face every time I take the top down.

Second mid-life crisis is this year (50 next month), and all I'm getting is the kilt. The rest of the possible spending has gone into the FIRE fund.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been where you are and made the mistake to give in to my temptation. I always wanted a Corvette but after getting married that chance had been lost (i thought).

Well, I had an unexpected divorce, so after I dug myself out of initial debt from that, I saved up and bought a brand new 2001 C5 Corvette. It's now 2010 and I still have the car, but it has spent the vast majority of it's life collecting dust in my garage. Even though it is 10 years old, it only has 18,600 miles on it. I put 5,000 in year one and thoroughly enjoyed having it for about 12 months. For the last 9 years, I really could care less whether I had it to drive as I have driven "good enough" sedans as my everyday vehicles. I just can't bring myself to sell the thing now because I hope to enjoy it more in retirement or give to my daughter in a few year.

By my own calculations, including purchase price, insurance, gas, etc...I have spent around $3 per mile I have driven it thus far. Not one of my better investments!

I used to think and obsess about how much money that $40K would be worth had I invested it in the stock market instead (could have double or tripled)! But I recently realized that given the market performacne that $40K would still only be worth about $40K!
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #35

Gar, congrats to making a decision and resisting the temptation. I am sure you will buy your dream car in future. DH bought his dream car 4 years ago but after 3 years of owning it, he said he would like a newer model.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Never really had the urge for a sports car, just not useful. Now....if I retire this summer I have had an urge for a Subaru Outback or Forester. Living in the Spokane area I can kind of justify by the weather etc....but in the "real world" we don't have to travel if the weather is bad so AWD is nice...but not required.
I disagree. I think a car with AWD, like the Sub, is worth it in any climate where you are apt to get snow. I lived in Eastern Washington, and some years if you were planning to not drive when there was snow, you would have parked your car in early November and brought it out again after Valentine's Day.

Even in Seattle, where snow is less common, you would have been marooned for 2 weeks winter before last. And it is common to leave home in the afternoon dry, and come back a few hours later with a lot of snow collecting on the road, even I-5 and I-90. I live in the city, but on a high hill. My AWD brings me home when cars are littered all over the road. Plus, don't forget emergencies. I have an Impreza. I wanted a WRX, but cooled myself down and I like this one just fine. I can't kid myself that I wouldn't like the WRX better, but I would just have more speeding tickets.

Sometimes I have a little will power.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #37

haha, this is a subject that has kind of come up a couple times just in the last year on the site. There are some people who won't consider a car less than (3000-3500lbs etc) for what they consider safety. Over the years I have noticed that more and more people insist they need AWD/4x4. I grew up in W Wash...we had some snow (more than now for sure), almost nobody had 4x4 and we just dealt with it. Spent 5 years in Eburg, if things got too snowy I just threw some more weight in the back (rear wheel drive only at that time) and dealt with it. We have a house out in Nine Mile Falls just NW of Spokane, should get a little more snow than Spokane. Even with the snow year they had 2 years ago, I would kind of assume that the roads would only have been terrible 5-10 days at the most out of all that....or at least what I would consider terrible. Snow doesn't bother me unless the car just won't go. We actually had a few days here in N Yorkshire last winter when I wish I had AWD, but it is kind of hard for me to justify AWD for 3 days of tough weather. But....we test drove the new Outback last summer....we really liked it and even as big as it is we would get around 30mpg with the driving we would be doing. Just tough for me to release my grip on $25k+. Used ones just aren't such a deal these days and aren't much cheaper than new ones. Then my wife looks at me and mentions something like "you can get that car, but I can't have a better kitchen?"....hmmm, hard for me to argue that one. We don't drive much. Bottom line, seems in the old days (with generally worse winters) not that many people seemed to "need" AWD, now almost everybody thinks they do. To me it is kind of like when everybody moved to SUV's all of a sudden when they became popular and justified them with whatever excuse they needed. I have owned things as small as the old mini and up to a mini-van.....I have never felt I needed 4x4. But damn.......I want one. Same basic urge as the person who started this thread.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
As other's have said, it is for you to make up your mind. In my personal experience some of the cheapest cars Ive owned were sports cars that were bought right. My first car was a 66 corvette convertable that I paid $7,000 for and drove for several years in the early 80's. And I sold it for $8,500. I have had several sports cars over the years and as long as I stayed away from new they were not to expensive for my budget. Ive got 3 Porsche's now, so I may not be the best to give advice.
+1. I also buy big ticket toys used. It is also a line item in my net worth spreadsheet. If I sell a toy that money stays in the toy budget.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
haha, this is a subject that has kind of come up a couple times just in the last year on the site. There are some people who won't consider a car less than (3000-3500lbs etc) for what they consider safety. Over the years I have noticed that more and more people insist they need AWD/4x4. I grew up in W Wash...we had some snow (more than now for sure), almost nobody had 4x4 and we just dealt with it. Spent 5 years in Eburg, if things got too snowy I just threw some more weight in the back (rear wheel drive only at that time) and dealt with it. We have a house out in Nine Mile Falls just NW of Spokane, should get a little more snow than Spokane. Even with the snow year they had 2 years ago, I would kind of assume that the roads would only have been terrible 5-10 days at the most out of all that....or at least what I would consider terrible. Snow doesn't bother me unless the car just won't go. We actually had a few days here in N Yorkshire last winter when I wish I had AWD, but it is kind of hard for me to justify AWD for 3 days of tough weather. But....we test drove the new Outback last summer....we really liked it and even as big as it is we would get around 30mpg with the driving we would be doing. Just tough for me to release my grip on $25k+. Used ones just aren't such a deal these days and aren't much cheaper than new ones. Then my wife looks at me and mentions something like "you can get that car, but I can't have a better kitchen?"....hmmm, hard for me to argue that one. We don't drive much. Bottom line, seems in the old days (with generally worse winters) not that many people seemed to "need" AWD, now almost everybody thinks they do. To me it is kind of like when everybody moved to SUV's all of a sudden when they became popular and justified them with whatever excuse they needed. I have owned things as small as the old mini and up to a mini-van.....I have never felt I needed 4x4. But damn.......I want one. Same basic urge as the person who started this thread.
Everything you say is true. I have lived in WA most of the time during the past 40 years, and just got my first AWD car 5 years ago. Although the winter I mentioned in Eastern WA I parked my Volvo and drove an IH Scout 4x4 I had from work, and I alwys hoped to finda buddy with a 4x4 for hunting trips. Also true that I slid off the road more than once, and had the good luck of some helpful guys coming along to help lift me back on. And I had helper springs on my Volvo so it could take the sand bags, and reinforced chains, etc- but todays price of good AWD is so low that IMO it is worth it, and likely safer too. The reason many people made do with 2wd (not all did, plenty drove 4x4 pickups) is that nice smooth functioning and durable AWD passenger cars did not exist, at least in popular price ranges.

If you can do without the turbo-boost and higher clearance of the Forester, get an Impreza. They are excellent, and I have always had good cars- Volvo, Saab, Acura, VW, Taurus- none better than this Subaru, even without the AWD benefit.

And be a sport, get your loyal wife a nice pretty kitchen while you are at it.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my first AWD car a couple years ago. I wasn't even looking for that as a requirement, but the car I liked happened to have it. It has made all the difference in the world living here in Cleveland. I am "able" to drive 20 mph faster than most people on the highways when the snow is on and haven't come close to "losing it". When i go shopping again for another car, AWD is going be very close to the top of my list of requirements.

And I am not one who ever minded driving in the snow with any vehicle I have ever had. I just was amazed at how much easier the AWD made it.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote