Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Percentage of Facebook friends I have physically seen in last 5 yrs
0 to 20% 36 34.62%
between 20 and 40% 19 18.27%
between 40 and 60% 16 15.38%
between 60 and 80% 19 18.27%
between 80 and 100% 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no interest in FB. I tried it for a few days several years ago, and as Betty White said in her monologue in her 2010 Saturday Night Live appearance, I found it a big waste of time. I quickly deleted the account I hadn't really done anything to.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I've blocked a few as the election season brings out the loons.
I've added a tool called FB Purity which hides posts on any keywords you select. It seems to work pretty good. The only ones that sneak through are when the poster slips-through an image concerning politics, but without any comment or caption (those are the people I have to hide).

Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #43

I have 127 facebook friends. I have seen at least 90% of them, maybe 95% within the last 5 years. One person, I have never met. Three people are now deceased. I have three people on the Acquaintance List, so that they don't see my posts and I don't see their posts. I have only unfriended one person. He was a good friend, almost like a brother to me, when he was in the service with my DH. We were in our 20's and he was single, so we would have him for holiday dinners, we played games, bowled on the same league team and he was constantly at our house. We lost touch for many years, but hooked back up due to Facebook. I hated the stuff that he posted during the last presidential election and finally unfriended him. He got in touch with my DH and told him that he was devastated that I did this. I have since learned to tell facebook that I want to see less stuff like this and not to post anything from whatever link people are using. It still makes me feel bad that I unfriended my former friend.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I log on to waste some time. I am friends with one couple and they wish each other happy birthday/valentines day et al on FB. How sick is that? They live together! When anyone starts posting picture of restaurant food, they are removed. No invitations to play games. No political commentary.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I get such a kick out of the occasional funny or beautiful things that people post, it's worth scrolling past the many screeds and piles of drivel. Being a fast scanner/reader helps.

My pale is pretty high, so it takes a lot to go beyond it.
What she said.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I log on to waste some time. I am friends with one couple and they wish each other happy birthday/valentines day et al on FB. How sick is that? They live together! When anyone starts posting picture of restaurant food, they are removed. No invitations to play games. No political commentary.
Sounds reasonable. I don't use Facebook nor intend to. My wife does and sometimes mentions activity of some "friends". Mostly, I just laugh at the stupid pictures of food and pets. Not my style.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just did a quick look over my FB friends. I have 752, but after reviewing a chunk of the list, I'd say I'm definitely over 80%. I travel a lot for my various hobbies and have made lots of friends (being as extroverted as I am!) and see most of them at least once a year, if not more. The people that fall into the haven't seen in more than 5 years are high school people, although that's a small number. If I had gone to my 20th reunion, then really the only people I haven't seen in 5 years are a few old co-workers that I friended because we were close when I worked with them.

I've been fairly liberal with the "hide" feature. They're not unfriended, but I just don't see their posts unless I go stalk them deliberately. Mostly people who only post "inspirational" messages, pictures of their kids every 10 minutes, supremely negative/annoying posts, etc.

I don't post too often (once a month maybe?), but I love some of my friends on there. One person I see periodically (because we're not great "friends" in real life) posts HILARIOUS stories of his daily escapades.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My FB account has exactly 2 "friends."

One was a casual acquaintance who sent me a FB invite years ago, and not wanting to be rude, I foolishly created a FB account for the sole purpose of accepting her invitation. That was a mistake, for I got all sorts of useless updates ("hey, I am working out at the gym!"), family pics, stupid jokes and little nuggets of "wisdom" about life, family, work, etc. The other "friend" is a college classmate.

I haven't seen or spoken to either in many years and don't give a crap about them. I should delete the account, but I'm too lazy to even make that effort.

For me, FB is a complete and utter waste of time.

Lucky Dude
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When you find out how to delete your account, let us know!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
When you find out how to delete your account, let us know!
That made me look it up out of curiousity (no need for me to delete, as the account's existence doesn't bother me and is occasionally useful). There apparently is no easy, one-step way to do this. "Deactivating" puts you into a hidden limbo and is straightforward; but to permanently delete, you need to contact facebook and have them assist you in the process: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/359046244166395/ and https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account?rdrhc
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
That made me look it up out of curiousity (no need for me to delete, as the account's existence doesn't bother me and is occasionally useful). There apparently is no easy, one-step way to do this. "Deactivating" puts you into a hidden limbo and is straightforward; but to permanently delete, you need to contact facebook and have them assist you in the process: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/359046244166395/ and https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account?rdrhc
Maybe FB changed how one can delete his account. But when I got rid of mine after a week back in 2009 or 2010, it was pretty easy although I don't recall exactly how I did it. I didn't have to contact FB or anything like that. Just for kicks, I tried to sign in again and I got an error message saying my email address didn't match anything in FB's records. Assuming all I did was deactivate the account, shouldn't I have been able to sign in again, not that I really want to?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Maybe FB changed how one can delete his account. But when I got rid of mine after a week back in 2009 or 2010, it was pretty easy although I don't recall exactly how I did it. I didn't have to contact FB or anything like that. Just for kicks, I tried to sign in again and I got an error message saying my email address didn't match anything in FB's records. Assuming all I did was deactivate the account, shouldn't I have been able to sign in again, not that I really want to?
Yeah, looks like they changed it. If you merely deactivated, you should be able to get access and revivify the account: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/212666185422169
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #53

Don't have an account and don't intend to have one anytime soon. DW last logged into her account two years ago....The few friends that I want to communicate with I do it either in person, text or email.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Thanks. DW will give it a try. It is a duplicate and very confusing.