Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who will survive early retirement better?
33 years old, $1.2 million, 3 kids, $65,000 expenses/yr, healthy 4 5.00%
53 years old, $700,000, no kids, $40,000 expenses/yr, healthy 76 95.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Even if you consider the finances even, you would have to go with the older couple. The 20 year age difference adds risk. Example: They both do great for the first 30 years of retirement. Then at age 83 the older couple die, and sometime in the next 20 years there is a complete melt down, hyper inflation zooms in, and their is a nuclear war followed by a world wide pandemic, and a shortage of dryer sheets!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How? I must be missing something. Even leaving aside the difficulty of getting money out of tax deferred accounts at age 33, they will have to pay the normal 15% bracket on most of the withdrawals on the $65K, which is too high an amount to be safe anyway. If the money was in taxable accounts, they could play some games and minimize taxes, although the 5.42% WR is still too high to be safe.
Leave 100% of the money in the tax-deferred account. That is the plan.

They are probably eligible for Medicaid. If they are willing to move, here in MN, they would be eligible for MinnesotaCare. Child healthcare is 100% free, $0 premium, $0 deductible. Adults are ~$20 a month. It covers healthcare, pharmacy, vision, even transportation to and from the appointments. There are no asset tests.

If they can work just a little bit, they can get $6,242 as a tax credit, via the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

Assuming they were able to work and make ~$11K a year, they could put in $11,000 into a Roth IRA, and get another $4,000 back from the IRS as another Savers Tax Credit.

With the EITC, and the IRA Savers Credit, that is more than enough to pay the actual amount that is put into a Roth.

As a low income family, they would be eligible for housing assistance. In MN, they could rent a place, possibly a town home or house, and get up to $1,300 for housing each month. That would include the rent and electricity. There are low-income assistance programs for utilities as well.

There are a whole host of other benefits that provide for food assistance, transportation, college, etc. but just from the above you can get healthcare and housing and utilities provided. And a nice contribution to a Roth.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Savers credit is not refundable, so if you have only a $400 tax bill you will receive a $400 credit max.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
As a low income family, they would be eligible for housing assistance. In MN, they could rent a place, possibly a town home or house, and get up to $1,300 for housing each month. That would include the rent and electricity. There are low-income assistance programs for utilities as well.

There are a whole host of other benefits that provide for food assistance, transportation, college, etc. but just from the above you can get healthcare and housing and utilities provided. And a nice contribution to a Roth.
Don't they have asset tests in MN for assistance other than Medicaid?
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I still don't see where the $65K they need for expenses are coming from. If you're ignoring that need and saying live a Jacobean/MMM existence, no problem. But if they need the $65K for expenses I don't see how it would work.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

At 33 the couple still has plenty 'o years to qualify for the "early retirement" designation. At their savings rate ($1.2MM at 33) they can plug away until the ripe old age of 41 by which time they'll have amassed about $3.2MM and can fund their now $76K annual expenses at a 2.4% withdrawal rate.

Easy-peasy.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Don't they have asset tests in MN for assistance other than Medicaid?
That is one reason the DGF is able to retire with me. No asset test.

Quote:
Does MinnesotaCare look at assets in considering my eligibility?
In keeping with the guidelines of the Affordable Care Act, MinnesotaCare no longer looks at a person’s assets. Assets refer to the things a person owns like savings accounts, retirement accounts, vehicles, houses, and so on. There is no limit on assets. However, the interest you earn on your assets is now counted as part of your income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcreek9 View Post
Savers credit is not refundable, so if you have only a $400 tax bill you will receive a $400 credit max.
That is good to know. I am planning on the DGF using that credit to the extent she can.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is one reason the DGF is able to retire with me. No asset test.
I understand the ACA and expanded Medicaid states under ACA no longer have asset tests. However, in California it is my understanding that most of the other services you mentioned in your previous post like housing, utilities, college financial aid and food assistance would have asset tests.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I still don't see where the $65K they need for expenses are coming from. If you're ignoring that need and saying live a Jacobean/MMM existence, no problem. But if they need the $65K for expenses I don't see how it would work.
If you assume that they will have taxes of ~$10K for the $65K, they only need ~$55K in income.

The all-inclusive healthcare is worth ~$15K a year. Housing is worth ~$15.5K. SNAP programs do not have asset tests in MN, that's worth maybe $5K. EITC is worth $6,242.

Other programs are available too. All in all, it's probably a $45K+ package.

Work just a bit and get to the $55K pretty easily. You need some income anyway to get many benefits like EITC.

Quote:
I understand the ACA and expanded Medicaid states under ACA no longer have asset tests. However, in California it is my understanding that most of the other services you mentioned in your previous post like housing, utilities, college financial aid and food assistance would have asset tests.

Quote:
There is no asset limit for SNAP. You can own as many assets as you'd like and still qualify for SNAP (assuming you meet all other program requirements).
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
As far as I know, there is no asset test for Section 8.

You can even own a home and be on Section 8. income counts, I am not 100% sure if tax-deferred income counts. I suspect not.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you assume that they will have taxes of ~$10K for the $65K, they only need ~$55K in income.

The all-inclusive healthcare is worth ~$15K a year. Housing is worth ~$15.5K. SNAP programs do not have asset tests in MN, that's worth maybe $5K. EITC is worth $6,242.

Other programs are available too. All in all, it's probably a $45K+ package.

Work just a bit and get to the $55K pretty easily. You need some income anyway to get many benefits like EITC.
OK, I guess I see. I'm thrown by my desire to be FI, as opposed to FD(ependent). I don't even count on SS, since it's not my money. Different strokes, I guess. I'd hate to spend my retirement years dealing with the gov't that much. Just doing taxes is bad enough.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You make an interesting argument that's it's better to be older than younger....... I wish I could buy into that, but at 68 yo, I can't.

Geezer - "I've had a nice life. It's mostly behind me now but no one can take the memories away from me so I'm glad I'm old and there is no risk that I'll have a short life."

Youngster - "The adventure of life is ahead of me, but gosh, I could die young. To avoid that risk, I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up old knowing that I survived to geezerhood!"
It's hard to be old. Damn, it was just yesterday when I was 20, in college and having a life ahead of me, but not really knowing how it was going to work out.

Still, I keep reminding myself not to envy the young. They will be old some day too, and it will come a lot quicker than they imagine. And some unfortunate ones will not get to grow old, as I have realized.

Life's so short, and people keep worrying about the future instead of living in the moment. And we geezers have no future, or so little of it left anyway.

I am going to make myself a gin and tonic now.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I forgot to mention this quote that I heard in a movie recently (August - Osage County).

"The biggest surprise in a man's life is old age." - Leo Tolstoy