Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Benefits Question

gsmolin

Dryer sheet wannabe
First, thanks to those who responded to my post last week and advised me to transfer the post-9/11 GI Bill to my sons. It worked out great and I got approved and my ADSO is going to be served concurrent with my current ADSO.

Second, the question I have is: I realize you have to go to the VA's VONAPP website to fill out VA form 22-1990E to transfer the benefits from the VA side of the house to my dependents. My question is: when do you do this, and do you have to do it while you're still on active duty? I presume not, as the 22-1990E form requires you to input the dates of your dependents' enrollment in college and the type of school they are attending, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

My question is: when do you do this, and do you have to do it while you're still on active duty?
Do you mean "To use the benefit, do my kids have to start school while I'm still on AD?" I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "no." But you do have to transfer the benefits to your dependents while you are still on AD.

I sure wish I could transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my daughter, but I'm not on AD. A one-day recall to AD would sure be handy. BTW, there was legislation to allow retirees to transfer these benefits, I don't know if it will be approved in today's fiscal environment. I'd be against it. But if it passes, I'll be among the first in line to seek a hefty transfer of benefits.

correct; i transferred the benefits to my dependents, but i didn't know when you're supposed to fill out the VA form (22-1990E) that allows my dependents to actually use them.

I transferred mine to my dependents while I was still on AD as AF made me stay an additional yr that ran concurrent with other obligations. I think I had to put a few months of benefits on every dependent if I ever wanted them to use it. I can always go back and reallocate when plans firm up. Just call the VA line and ask them. They are more than willing to help you maximize your options and this benefit.

JDARNELL

Back
Top Bottom