Join Early Retirement Today

post-vacation blues anyone?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I returned from yet another great cruise Saturday. We had so much fun and relaxed the entire time. Never thought about work.

However, we have to return to work tomorrow, and I've got a major case of the post-vacation blues. It's not that I don't like my job, but I just really, really would rather not have that kind of stress in my life.

I'm really wishing we were FIRED today! It seems like a far, far away dream.

Anyone else get the post-vacation blues? Any tips for pulling out of it?

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Start planning your next vacation....

Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Vodka often worked for me.

Ha
Old 05-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
DH and I returned from yet another great cruise Saturday. We had so much fun and relaxed the entire time. Never thought about work.

However, we have to return to work tomorrow, and I've got a major case of the post-vacation blues. It's not that I don't like my job, but I just really, really would rather not have that kind of stress in my life.

Frank and I feel this way even on Sundays, these days, because soon we will have to return to work.

I think it does help to try planning your next vacation. Don't know about the vodka cure since I don't drink the stuff.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not in the last 2 years.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Unless they cruised to Mexico, in which case it should be tequila.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I think Vodka is for during your vacation not after it. My employer frowns on people having vodka at work.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #8

What do you think of this for a "vacation"? We live in the Tampa area but quite a ways inland. Used to live on Ft. Myers Beach. Left there in 1998 and really miss the beach and the area in general. Guess we were so used to being on the beach that being within 45 minutes of the beach now just doesn't interest us. Haven't been to the beach since we moved up here. So, we're looking for a rental condo on Ft. Myers Beach in August just to get back to the old stomping grounds. We want right on the beach so we can see the sunsets again and watch the surf roll in, take a cup of coffee with us in the morning and stroll the beach. We can't wait. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't prompt us to pull up stakes and move back.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:

We just got back from a month vacation, flew in from England on a Tuesday (after midnight), drove from Houston to Baton Rouge on the Wednesday and went to work on the Thursday - 10 days later and still got the vacation blues.

As for a cure, try........ nope, can't think of one, sorry.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #10

When I was working, I never really liked taking a vacation. The vacation was always nice, but the return worse then staying. No one else does your work and the problems you left behind were there when you returned, generally worse. Now we are retired we don't take vacations! We are always on vacation, and we takes trips. I posted our last on here and it was our first since retiring. It was great, and when we returned it was even better.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I really enjoy going on vacation but after 10-12 days I am ready to come home. So I rarely get post vacation blues.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

FIREdreamer - I always feel like I'm ready to go home...

Ditto to W2R - Sunday night is horrible. For me, that feeling of dread has crept into Sunday morning. Soon, it will be Saturday night, then Saturday morning. When the dread reaches friday afternoon, it'll be time to go.

As for cures to the post-vacation blues, the only one I can think of is to go on permanent vacation...FIRE!

R
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
When I was working, I never really liked taking a vacation. The vacation was always nice, but the return worse then staying. No one else does your work and the problems you left behind were there when you returned, generally worse. Now we are retired we don't take vacations! We are always on vacation, and we takes trips. I posted our last on here and it was our first since retiring. It was great, and when we returned it was even better.
I was in the same boat. I took the pager on vacation, worked the phones, even cancelled out on a couple of trips. Very rough on the marriage and family relationships. Even when I went, I didn't start relaxing until about the next to the last day, then had to start packing up to go back. I was grumpy on vacation and glad to get back to work.

Over time I started accumulating more vacation, and Megacorp started a "use it or lose it" policy. So I started taking two week vacations, at least once/year. I still didn't relax until day 4 or so, but then I had a full week of relaxation before heading back. At that point I started enjoying life and family time better than work. After 7 or 8 years of this I was so ready to bail on the job that when I got an early out offer I took it and ran. Now I'm always on vacation, and no more blues. Sweet!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #14

I get the Sunday blues, too...but this post-vacation blues feeling is much worse. <sigh>

We were ready to come home, see our kitties, etc., but we aren't ready to go back to w*rk....

Well, I am taking Ha's advice (except my drink of choice is gin).

I will also take the advice of planning our next vacation. That helped the last time I experienced this (although the blues seem much worse this time).

Thanks everyone for the support

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I used to take only one vacation a year, my mood would get quite depressed toward the end of the vacation, thinking "this is IT for a whole year!!!". I used to dread going back to work. So now I take four 1 week vacations per year at my vacation condo. When I'm getting ready to leave, I think "just three months till I can enjoy this again!"
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #16

Coming back from a 2 week or longer vacation, the e-mail is horrendous, but I figured a way around that issue a number of years ago. Thanks to the very restrictive IT policies our mail files are limited to 100MB after which they stop receiving until you do some archiving or deleting.

So, I keep a selection of very large attachments on my hard drive then the day I leave on vacation I fill up by mail file with draft e-mail that I will never send. Day after I leave, e-mail starts getting returned to sender so they know not to expect a reply and I don't have 500+ e-mail to wade through on return.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
I get the Sunday blues, too...but this post-vacation blues feeling is much worse. <sigh>

We were ready to come home, see our kitties, etc., but we aren't ready to go back to w*rk....

Well, I am taking Ha's advice (except my drink of choice is gin).

I will also take the advice of planning our next vacation. That helped the last time I experienced this (although the blues seem much worse this time).

Thanks everyone for the support
Maybe you can plan something short but special for next weekend, like a day trip? Sounds like you need something right now! Sorry to hear the blues are so bad this time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #18

Probably better to just face the reality and realize you got awhile longer to go. If you keep turning to alcohol it might become a habit.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When I used to take only one vacation a year, my mood would get quite depressed toward the end of the vacation, thinking "this is IT for a whole year!!!". I used to dread going back to work. So now I take four 1 week vacations per year at my vacation condo. When I'm getting ready to leave, I think "just three months till I can enjoy this again!"
I also take four vacations a year, and it really does help. Two of them are about a week, and two are usually 2-3 weeks depending on how the holidays fall. Megacorp pays for them when they are home leave trips (most of them are...).

But, I don't have any choice but to be on email during that time, due to the approval controls we have in place. I carry a smartphone around, check and respond to "urgent and important" and leave the rest for when I have computer time. Then I just clean up the CCs and FYIs with a quick skim. In my role, I don't necessarily have to be around all the time to get the job done, but I do need to be accessible when the need is great. On the other hand, my guys know better than to access me if they are empowered to decide themselves.

So, taking more vacations helps. The time away, even if it is just a few days, is very worthwhile, if you can immediately transition into vacation mode.

R
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The last couple of months, I have been taking time off from vacation to go to work.