Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Pre-nuptial Agreement to Protect FIRE Nestegg
Old 06-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Ha ha Nords, I think he just called you an old dude!
Hey, I'm only 44, you slacker...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well since I'm only 43 (for a couple more months anyhow) then you're an old dude!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Sounds like the board romantics are getting to you. You've no doubt heeard about the older couple who were planning a divorce. The attorney asked "Why did you wait so long? The wife said, "We wanted to wait till the children were dead."

Plenty of late life divorces, by people who thought they had solid marriages. Or at least one of them thought that.

Ha
Would that be board romantics ... or "bored" romantics? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As for calling Nords "old", I did no such thing. I have respect for my elders.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Well since I'm only 43 (for a couple more months anyhow) then you're an old dude!
A Leo...

That explains a lot!!

BTW, this Leo will be 50 for a couple more months. Still feel like 49.9...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
A Leo...

That explains a lot!!

BTW, this Leo will be 50 for a couple more months. Still feel like 49.9...
Hey, I'm a Leo, what are you saying?? Turn 31 this year...aaaak, it's slipping away!

I read somewhere that the notion of marraige being a product of romance/love is an artifice dating back only a couple hundred years. Hmmph.

If my DW ever wants a divorce, worrying about my assets will not be the primary thought on my mind.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #26

Jay,

See "Is a Prenuptial Agreement Right for You?"

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/Obje...8/304/247/ART/

Old 06-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
As for calling Nords "old", I did no such thing.* I have respect for my elders.
No problem, son, you'll remember this day when a dewy-eyed 20-something gazes respectfully up at you and calls you "Sir"...

Now I have to go polish all my reading glasses. Just as soon as I can find the damn things.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Nords...they're on your face.

Hmmm...bunch of INTJ engineers that are leos...

Both my wife and I are leos. Try that one out. She's 3 days older. Dont think there are any end to the 'cradle robber' jokes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #29

My advice ---- don't do it

TH's post or one of the many said the important theme --- pre-nuptial is based on the idea that the marriage will fail and I don't think too many soon to be brides/grooms want to see something like that

Marry the right one the first time and forgetta about it

But hey don't listen to a single
Old 06-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
But hey don't listen to a single*
There is some good advice.*
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

A prenup makes sense in many situations. Marriage is (among other things) a legal contract. It seems perfectly sensible to tailor it to your unique needs instead of relying on the state legistlature to decide for you.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't think too many soon to be brides/grooms want to see something like that
The resultant question of such statement is "why not?" Some have said pre-nups are unromantic. That's exactly right. They're not. But if a potential spouse suddenly loses his/her love for you after being asked to sign a pre-nup, s/he isn't the right person for you. Then again, the same could be said about the person who brings up the subject of a pre-nup.

Quote:
Marry the right one the first time and forgetta about it
My grandfather, who is in his mid-90s and was married to my grandmother for over 65 years once told me that "you'll never know she's the right one one until you've been married to her for 20 years...but by that time, it's too late." Wise man my grandfather. This is as good a reason for a pre-nup as any.

Quote:
But hey don't listen to a single
Being single doesn't have much to do with it. If you're married without a pre-nup, there isn't much you can do about it.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 06-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #33

I know there is some validity to a pre-nup and I am sure a lot of people with dough would like to have every potential bride to be sign one. But come on how practical is it? How is the other going to view it? I guess if you are hard up on the pre-nup then you should simply find a partner that is fine with the idea. I haven't met too many.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess if you are hard up on the pre-nup then you should simply find a partner that is fine with the idea.* I haven't met too many.
Does this imply that you have been asking, and they have been refusing?

If so, they have been doing you a favor. I find a very helpful technique is always to turn a question around. If a woman asked me to sign a pre-nup, and I refused, what could be my motivation?

Looks to me like I might want to be paid to go away sometime down the road.

Not a great recommendation for the BTB.

Ha
Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Implies that I have asked ladies for their opinion but I don't have enough to entice them yet so I kind of asked them from a neutral perspective and still none liked the thought.*

Don't get me wrong I think pre-nups are a good idea but I am saying that it is not always reality
Old 06-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I think pre-nups are a good idea but I am saying that it is not always reality
Well, I guess I just respectfully differ. In the holy trinity of "Buy, Sell, or Hold" anyone who says non to a prenup is IMO a sell.

Ha
Old 06-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

If so, they have been doing you a favor. I find a very helpful technique is always to turn a question around. If a woman asked me to sign a pre-nup, and I refused, what could be my motivation?

Looks to me like I might want to be paid to go away sometime down the road.

Not a great recommendation for the BTB.

Ha
I'll probably draw fire for this, but I'll say it anyway. 8)

Many women are interested in a guy, at least in part, because of his assets or potential to accumulate assets, in order to obtain the lifestyle to which they would like to become accustomed. This is one reason such women dislike the idea of a pre-nuptial agreement, since they would be denied such a lifestyle if they ever sought a divorce.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #38

Jay, I agree with you and I'm a woman.

But on the flip side, my net worth is in the 800K range and I would probably want a pre-nup if I ever married again. Oh, and I'm inheriting a lot too, so I want to protect that as well. And I have kids.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #39

Jay - I don't think you are out of line with that one. HaHa you have had luck with that type of proposal? Do you all not think you can tell what type of lifestyle a woman wants prior to marriage or is that part of a male's selective observation? A woman's friends, fam and her own lifestyle usually tells me where she wants to go. If she changes well then I guess I am screwed.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My wife likes tee shirts and shorts, budweiser and sitting out on the patio in the evening as a 'vacation'. As long as its not too hot or cold out, but I have a portable heater and a cooler just for her. She would have signed a prenup if I asked her, but found that handing over half my money was a sign of my respect and trust in her. If things dont work out, that'll be a shame as she's the finest woman I've ever met and I'm honored to have her as my wife. If and when that worst day in my life happens, we'll work it out. Moneys just money. I'll make another million if I need to.

I just cant imagine laying out the terms of our divorce in a legal document before we were even married. If I felt I had to do that, then damn it, I'd have stayed single.