Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
.... Bought my health insurance at Costco...
I just went to the site out of curiousity. It looks like you have to have a small business to get this insurance. Do you have a business? or did you set up a sole proprietorship that thru which you do some kind of slightly money making hobby? Would be interested to know how this works.

Thanks

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I just went to the site out of curiousity. It looks like you have to have a small business to get this insurance. Do you have a business? or did you set up a sole proprietorship that thru which you do some kind of slightly money making hobby? Would be interested to know how this works.

Thanks

R
I have a regular individual policy (adm PacifiCare) - just applied and sent in checks. I got it 11 months ago. Perhaps they changed their offerings.

I don't think any of my hobbies (travel, cycling, playing with my dogs) would qualify as a business.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Public Sector Retirement

Early retirement from the public sector can be challenging, as well. Some recent introductory posters, if they are "feds" in their mid-50's are probably the last of their breed: those covered by the CSRS retirement system. Under CSRS, the annuitant is pretty much guaranteed a generous COLA'd pension and enviable health care coverage after 30 years of service (20 in law enforcement jobs).

My first federal job was in 1987 and CSRS wasn't an option by then. Instead, feds were placed in FERS, a system that combines a smaller (read: not enough to live on, not as nicely COLA'd) defined benefit pension with a 401(k) type savings plan. Retiree health benefits are a FERS feature, but rarely for early-outs.

Still a nice system, but lots of feds have had painful hammerings in their 401(k) equivalents, just like their private sector brethren.

Also while not all federal employees are talented and wonderful, some definitely earn (for decades) much lower salaries than they could have earned in equivalent jobs in the private sector. This is particularly true of scientists, engineers and some lawyers, IMO.

In the past, it has been more politically acceptable I suppose to pay "public servants" lower-than-market-rate salaries, and back-end their compensation with richer pensions than the private sector often offers. Who knows, going forward.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I have a regular individual policy (adm PacifiCare) - just applied and sent in checks. I got it 11 months ago. Perhaps they changed their offerings.

I don't think any of my hobbies (travel, cycling, playing with my dogs) would qualify as a business.
Thanks, did you apply online or at the store?

R
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Thanks, did you apply online or at the store?

R
Got the brochure at the store, it sent me online to get the form, printed it out, filled it out and mailed it in.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

One more data point for ya. We semi-ERed last year to a little canal front beach box on the east coast. Somewhat conservative investment mix and no debt, blah-blah. About 50:50 at the peak, though with a few bonehead equity holdings I shoulda never held on to). Tiny pension many moons from now doesn't even get counted.

We had always planned to go part time and that makes the current events much more tollerable. Also have a 10 yr old in school so the part time work routine fits well with our daily routine and conservative nature. We might add a couple of extra years of PT work to the plan depending on how the market goes. It's not the worst thing in the world though I admit to days of feeling anxiety like everyone else. DW enjoys her half time contract gig and I don't make didly compared to my old job but hey, kiteboard instructor/assitant manager at a new resort suits me just fine

I know the sentiment here is very anti-work but I truly think part time work gives you a lot a freedom and peace of mind at the same time. ESRBob's book was a big motivator for me. Individ health insurance is definitely our biggest expense. This year we'll withdraw about 1-1.5% from the current stash to make up for annual expense, so hopefully we're still in a position to semi-accumulate. We'll see