Join Early Retirement Today

Procrastination...
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Procrastination...

How much/often do you procrastinate? This is my final semester of grad school, and I am practically frozen! I cannot seem to get motivated to get moving on one of my classes - already discussed my coursework with the professor - as long as I slide into the last day with all my stuff completed, I'll be graduating - but for some reason, I just keep blowing it off. Too much of my energy is sickenly invested in avoiding this...I'm not normally this bad, but the end is so near...not sure if I am feeling overwhelmed, or just being a stubborn PITA...

Anyone deal with this self-inflicted drama occassionally?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'll get back to you...
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Make a list of what you have to do. Pick any one thing on the list and do it. Start as early in the day as you can, before you have a chance to think about it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll get back to you...
Dang, beat me to it...

I always ran out of gas near the end of the semester. Turned a couple of As into Bs...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #5

Set a timer for a short period of time, like 15 minutes or an hour. Start on your task and when the timer dings, decide whether to stop or continue. Once you get going, you'll find it's easier to keep going. But you also know you can stop in that short timespan. It works.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A former co-worker was in the habit of starting his day with the most distasteful task on his list. He wasn't much fun before lunch.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just guessing here, but maybe it is because of the current job market? Maybe you subconsciously want to drag grad school out until unemployment is lower?

When I procrastinate it is usually because I am trying to avoid something that is not necessarily the thing I am procrastinating on.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
Just guessing here, but maybe it is because of the current job market? Maybe you subconsciously want to drag grad school out until unemployment is lower?

When I procrastinate it is usually because I am trying to avoid something that is not necessarily the thing I am procrastinating on.
No job market issues - on mil leave from one gov't job - and on active duty with the USN....

Just really really really sick of school!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
How much/often do you procrastinate?
Anyone deal with this self-inflicted drama occassionally?
Yeah, I've been meaning to do something about that...

Grad school is a poorly-defined grind, and you never really know when you've done enough. My master's thesis drowned my thirst for higher learning.

The mantra in our house is "20 minutes a day". Like Martha said, make a list and spend 20 minutes on something-- even if it's just organizing a binder.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Make a list of what you have to do. Pick any one thing on the list and do it. Start as early in the day as you can, before you have a chance to think about it.

I second this idea . It is so satisfying to cross things off the list that it keeps me semi-motivated .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

I'm a list maker, but sometimes my list is so huge it's depressing. So, now I try to do 3 things off of it. As long as I do 3, I'm successful for the day. Sometimes I do more too.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

All the time...

I remember one self paced class that I had... WAY back...

I think the semester was 13 weeks (not sure)... so you had to have done work chapter 4 by week 4... with a total of (I believe) 12 chapters for a C, 14 for a B and 16 for an A... you could not get to the next chapter without making a 100 on a test and turning in the program (Fortran).. you could take as many tests as you wanted on any chapter... (not sure how many were made up for each chapter)...

BUT, the prof dropped me in week 9... as I had only done 4 chapters... I went to him and asked why.. he said I was so far behind I could not catch up... HA... you don't know me....

The next week I went in and did weeks 5 to 9 on Tuesday and 10 to 16 on Thursday... also turned in the programs we had to write for each chapter.. so in one week went from the bottom to the top..

The prof was very surprised as nobody had ever done more than 3 chapters in a week...

As my sister told me once (and she is the same way).... we are 'deadline' people... so we don't do anything until we are approaching a deadline... and we are usually good at estimating the time needed... so we do not miss them... I suspect you might be the same...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
As my sister told me once (and she is the same way).... we are 'deadline' people... so we don't do anything until we are approaching a deadline... and we are usually good at estimating the time needed... so we do not miss them... I suspect you might be the same...
yup...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I am deadline person too. It forces me to work quickly and efficiently. If I start working on something weeks before it is due, I tend to lose focus more easily and waste a lot of time along the way.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was an awful procrastinator. In school it affected my grades. At work I compensated and no one was the wiser. I learned at age 50 that it was ADD and ritalin let me coast thru the last 6 years of work. Now (unmedicated) I am back to my old ways but it doesn't seem to mater. DW knows how to get me to finish the important stuff
Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I should be doing my homework now. But the way I see it, playing in the snow is a lot more important. Out here I'm learning skills that I can apply throughout the rest of my life - procrastinating and rationalizing.
-- Calvin
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
A former co-worker was in the habit of starting his day with the most distasteful task on his list. He wasn't much fun before lunch.
One of the Western Electric senior engineers where I worked had this posted on his desk: "Eat a live toad the first thing each morning, that will be the worst thing you have to face all day."
Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
"Eat a live toad the first thing each morning, that will be the worst thing you have to face all day."
He didn't work for my mega-corp
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #19

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow" - Mark Twain.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #20

You know, I think I do that just to make things challenging. Sort of like creating a self made crisis so I can rise up and solve it. School is very easy for me. I usually wait until the last minute too. Maybe I like the adrenaline? Or maybe just looking for a challenge?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lazy, procrastination, stubborn