Proposal to not pay military retirement until 57!

Tell that to everone expecting social security in the coming years

I fully expect my future social security to be cut. It's reality. In fact, it's a -0- in my retirement calculations.

For those that think the military have too good a retirement click here Become a Marine - Contact a U.S. Marine Corps Recruiter Today

Maybe there is to much vacation time also... JUST KIDDING!!!

"Vacation time ensures that Marines can spend time with family, be well rested in body and in spirit and remain prepared for the challenges of service.

Marines receive 30 days of paid vacation each year, including
10 days before reporting to their first assignment after graduating from recruit training."

I dont think you understand whay Im saying. Im saying it doesnt matter how long you have to work to get the pension OR how early you get paid the pension....If good people like yourself arent willing to voluntarily make the committment to join the military with the pension system the way it is now....and they make it even less attractive by delaying benefits or lowering benefits or whatever, then how do you expect other good qualified people to voluntarily join in the future?

I do get what you are saying... I guess you are not getting what I am saying...

First, the retirement system was a minor part of my decision making... but it was there.. I saw that if I joined and got what I wanted... I would have been in the service 10 years... with NO retirement benefits... so to make it worthwhile (get a pension), I would HAVE to stay another 10 years... and if I left after 19... still nothing (I could be wrong on this, but this is what I remember when I was looking back in the late 70s)....

IF there was a retirement system that gave me SOMETHING after 10 years... then would that not be more attractive than nothing:confused: I might have signed up and taken the chance at them paying for college... but the current retirement system hurt their chance of getting me...

A curious question to some... how many people have worked 20 years at their same employer:confused: I think not many...

(HMMMM, maybe we should keep the 20.... and kick out a good amount of people between 15 and 20 to keep the costs down... ;))

by the way, Sat, Sun, and holidays are considered 'Work days' in the service, so that 30 days vacaton includes those days.

Interesting site on the Marines....

I wonder how much has been paid in pensions to this guy...

Years of Service: 1943-1965
MOS: Pilot, Astronaut

I bet his second pension is much better...

U.S. Marine Corps - Profiles - John Glenn

I think alot more would if they had a pension to work towards.

Or a lot more companies firing their employees just before they vest... which is why the laws were changed to vest quicker... my father was one who megacorp tried to screw back in the 60s... the retirement sytem with the company was a 10 year cliff... and they fired him in what they thought was before his 10 year anniversary... but a secretary miss-typed his start date and they had just fired him after he got 10 years... they tried to accuse him of fraud so they would not have to pay.. and he had won their best salesman award so many times they stopped giving it out... so it was not like he was not good...

Back
Top Bottom