Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Re: Protecting Assets?

I am curious to know if you must get an Umbrella policy from your current insurance provider (home, car, etc.) or can you go to any broker and tell them you want an Umbrella policy? I own a home which I finally have lots of equity in which I would like to protect. I live in California where everyone sues for any imaginary reason!
__________________

__________________
If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me.
dogduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Re: Protecting Assets?

Quote:
I am curious to know if you must get an Umbrella policy from your current insurance provider (home, car, etc.) or can you go to any broker and tell them you want an Umbrella policy?(
Don't know if its a "rule" that all companies follow, but for my umbrella policy the company that provides it also required that they have my homeowners and car insurance policies, and that those policies had high enough limitations on them already. They don't want to be the umbrella policy for someone that bought the very cheapest car insurance they could, since the umbrella doesn't kick in until after the other policy limits are hit.

I have a $1,000,000 policy, ontop of the homeowners and 2 car insurance. According to my agent the most likely way the umbrella is going to get used is as a result of a car accident. It only costs about $300 per year. I may be doubling the coverage to $2 million next year, for an additional $250 fee.

Short money imo. If you got enough dough..someone is going try and take it someday.
__________________

__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #23
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Protecting Assets?

Quote:

Don't know if its a "rule" that all companies follow, but for my umbrella policy the company that provides it also required that they have my homeowners and car insurance policies, and that those policies had high enough limitations on them already. They don't want to be the umbrella policy for someone that bought the very cheapest car insurance they could, since the umbrella doesn't kick in until after the other policy limits are hit.

I have a $1,000,000 policy, ontop of the homeowners and 2 car insurance. According to my agent the most likely way the umbrella is going to get used is as a result of a car accident. It only costs about $300 per year.
Yes, my insurance company also required home and all vehicles to be insured with them. Premium for the three cars did not go up much. It is still way under $1000/year (TX). My umbrella cost is half of yours. Our rental property also falls under it.

Vicky
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 49
Re: Protecting Assets?

Vicky and others,

One reason umbrella policies are so much less expensive in TX than in other states is that TX has pretty extensive asset-protection laws that make it harder for someone to take away everything you own with a lawsuit. Items which are exempt include the full value of your home, all retirement accounts (IRAs, 401Ks), $30,000 per person in cash, and personal effects like one vehicle, jewelry, clothes, etc.

This is much more generous than other states.
__________________
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 49
Re: Protecting Assets?

For the lawyers on the board (Martha M and others),

I wondered if Congress is moving to enact national legislation to protect retirement accounts like IRAs and 401Ks from lawsuits, especially now that few employers outside of the gov't offer traditional pensions, and most people are dependent on those savings to retire.

I know that some states consider IRAs to be savings accounts and do not protect them from creditors in the event you are sued. 401Ks are also not protected in some states -only the employer's contribution is exempt. This is hard to swalllow.
__________________
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #26
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Protecting Assets?

Hello Janie. What you say is true, but this savings
is offset by the cost of other insurance in Texas.
I recall when I had "dual" residency in the 90s, I was
frequently shocked by the cost of car and home insurance in Texas. Right now I am shopping for
insurance on our Texas condo. Yesterday I had a message on my machine from a Texas agent. It was
40% higher than what I am paying and I think I am being robbed now. Of course, I am only comparing
with Illinois, so maybe Illinois is just lower in general.
I would be surprised if that were true. OTOH, I recall
car insurance was way high in New Mexico also. When I asked the agent why that was she said "Drunken
Indians!" Pretty non-PC, but she swore that was the
answer. Texas................... I don't have a theory.

JG
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,211
Re: Protecting Assets?

Hey JG,

Maybe the higher car insurance is because of all
of us redneck cowboys with gun racks in our pickups.


Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)
__________________
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Protecting Assets?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Protecting Assets?

Quote:
For the lawyers on the board (Martha M and others),

I wondered if Congress is moving to enact national legislation to protect retirement accounts like IRAs and 401Ks from lawsuits, especially now that few employers outside of the gov't offer traditional pensions, and most people are dependent on those savings to retire.

I know that some states consider IRAs to be savings accounts and do not protect them from creditors in the event you are sued. 401Ks are also not protected in some states -only the employer's contribution is exempt. This is hard to swalllow.
Janie, I missed your post until cruising through messages today. 401(k) plans are protected by federal law--ERISA--from the claims of creditors so it really doesn't matter what state law provides. The supremacy clause in the constitution means that federal law trumps state law in this case. Unfortunately, you are right about IRAs. ERISA doesn't provide for protection from creditors so you have a lot of state law differences, some with total protection and some with none. The is a US Supreme Court case up for decision in the next few months which will provide some guidance as to the extent IRAs are exempt under the federal bankruptcy code exemptions.

There has been some moves in Congress to provide more protection for retirement plans such as IRAs. But there has been lots of talk in Congress about many of the exemptions, including limiting homestead exemptions. Who knows what is going to happen. The bankruptcy so callled reform bill has been up for discussion lately and I anticipate that some kind of bill will pass that bankrutpcy lawyers and judges won't like, but wll make the credit card companies happy.

Martha
__________________

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice on how to invest Keogh/IRA assets flyer7324 Young Dreamers 2 09-09-2006 12:32 PM
Could your assets be seized? boont FIRE and Money 9 08-15-2006 09:41 AM
Protecting assets Umbrella ++++ wallygator69 FIRE and Money 11 04-08-2006 10:00 AM
Protecting Assets garrynky FIRE and Money 8 10-18-2005 10:44 AM
Assets to include in Safe Withdrawal studies RedOscar FIRE and Money 12 07-10-2002 02:29 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.